• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savary Island Pie Company

Kentan

I was at the Savary Island Pie Company again on Saturday morning, even though it’s quite a trek from Vancouver. It’s my favourite breakfast spot because:

1) They make their own bread, muffins, pies, and jam (and I’m a carboholic)

2) Their breakfast is yummy, though the menu is limited (egg variations, baked goods, and yogurt with fruit)

3) Their coffee is tasty

4) The place has a great vibe – always busy, young friendly staff, huge windows let in lots of light, and there’s usually a copy of the NY Times to peruse. Since it’s not a restaurant, you feel you can take your time and linger a bit, which is what a lot of people do.

My usual is the Savary Scramble: a tasty omelette that comes with a side of ham, tomatoes, homemade bread (4 choices), and homemade jam. I also get a muffin to nibble on while I wait for breakfast to arrive.

And although SIPC is my favourite, there’s another a bakery café called The Bakehouse with locations in North Van (Edgemont Village) and West Van (Dundarave). The West Van location is very similar in feel to SIPC, while the North Van location is rather dark and doesn’t look out onto the street.

So why does a place like SIPC or Bakehouse not exist on this side of Burrard Inlet? Why does the North Shore have a monopoly on these places? The closest I could come up with is Tartine on Beach Ave @ Howe. Their baked goods are delectable, but it can’t compete because a) They don’t do anything special for breakfast beyond their regular baking, b) They’re more of a takeout place (not many tables), and c) It’s in a rather quiet location.

I think a SIPC-like bakery café would do killer business in Vancouver. Perhaps rent is too high here? I guess I’ll just have to keep trekking out to West Vancouver until SIPC decides to open a Vancouver branch. Sigh.

Savary Island Pie Co website

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Savoury Island is one of my favorite pie places too. I make a pilgrimage out there one a month at least. If a place like Savoury Island were in Vancouver I might be about 20 pounds heavier :biggrin:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Savoury Island is one of my favorite pie places too.  I make a pilgrimage out there one a month at least.  If a place like Savoury Island were in Vancouver I might be about 20 pounds heavier  :biggrin:

If you only want the pies - I think that Stong's sells them in Vancouver.

Savoury Island is one of my favorite pie places too.  I make a pilgrimage out there one a month at least.  If a place like Savoury Island were in Vancouver I might be about 20 pounds heavier  :biggrin:

If you only want the pies - I think that Stong's sells them in Vancouver.

Yes, I see them there regularly. The deliver too (that could be dangerous!) !

Link to Stong's Savary Pie stock

Ah, another Savary Island Pie Co. lover. I'm with Fud, if it were closer I too would be at leas 20 pounds heavier. You don't talk about their scones, they are the best! I try to make room in the freezer so I can buy a few loaves of bread while over there. I also make excuses of why I need to get to the N. shore in summer ... anyway, I had a long chat with the owner one day about opening new locations. I think she really wanted to but was concerned about quality control. Now they do baking for Whole Foods as well, so they are probably close to capacity.

I haven't been for a while, but besides the grilled cheese, their chicken pesto sandwiches are divine!

... anyway, I had a long chat with the owner one day about opening new locations.  I think she really wanted to but was concerned about quality control.  Now they do baking for Whole Foods as well, so they are probably close to capacity.

I haven't been for a while, but besides the grilled cheese, their chicken pesto sandwiches are divine!

That's great that the owner has been thinking about other locations - there's definitely a latent demand for SIPC comestibles.

And the grilled cheese is awesome too???? Methinks I'm going to have to move to Ambleside.

Thanks Canucklehead for the Stong's tip. My pie craving can be satiated for a little while.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

keep your eye out for when they start baking peach pie.  I don't even like pie, but this is to die for!

And the Raisin Rye bread! Love that stuff!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I have the luck to live only a few blocks from Savary Island. I'm there every Sunday morning buying muffins for breakfast and the Italian bread for lunch. The latter bread is actually nothing like the various breads I've had in Italy, but is so good I always buy two loaves since my teenage boys will eat one in five minutes flat without butter. I am all in favour of them expanding out of West Van so that other denizens of the lower mainland have to face the same waistline challenges that I do thanks to the bakery's proximity.

Best pie there? Lemon buttermilk with berries.

Paul B

• 3 weeks later...
I have the luck to live only a few blocks from Savary Island.  I'm there every Sunday morning buying muffins for breakfast and the Italian bread for lunch.  The latter bread is actually nothing like the various breads I've had in Italy, but is so good I always buy two loaves since my teenage boys will eat one in five minutes flat without butter.  I am all in favour of them expanding out of West Van so that other denizens of the lower mainland have to face the same waistline challenges that I do thanks to the bakery's proximity.

Best pie there?  Lemon buttermilk with berries.

Yep! Happiness is: slice of lemon buttermilk pie w/berries, fresh and ripe local strawberries, and a dollop of whipped cream with a strong cuppa tea :biggrin:

We were on a rare visit to the north shore yesterday and treated ourselves to coffee and treats (pecan cranberry muffin for me, cheese and dill scone for DH), and some pie and Italian bread to take home.