• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What are the best Canadian cookbooks?

For what it's worth, the book does recommend substituting a farm-raised goose if you can't get wild Canada goose. :biggrin:

Love farm-raised goose and have often cooked it but man it kills the budget. I pay anywhere from $45 to $60 for a 10-12lb goose and there is precious little flesh on there. But it beats a couple of years behind bars and a hefty fine.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

You can get fairly good deals(maybe $3 and something a pound) just before Christmas here if you don't mind frozen. They come from place in South Dakota. When I lived in Montana, Hutterite(Anabaptist, our version of Amish)farmers would come around and sell them. People said you could get even better quality if you went to their farms. This was back in the eighties.

My friend who likes British cuisine usually wants goose at Christmas. I warn people that it's dark, fatty and gamey compared to supermarket turkey. You will have an ocean of grease, which you can save and use for frying and stuff if you want, but you need to skim it off before making gravy or whatever. I use the same stuffing I would for turkey and the same accompaniments. Score the bird with a sharp knife before roasting and prick it with a fork from time to time during roasting.

My favorite is the Robin Hood Flour cookbooklets, probably because they are the only Canadian cookbooks I own. I don't know if Robin Hood flour even exists any more, or if it was regional brand.

There is a good black bottom pie recipe which I can post if anybody's interested.