• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Red Wines

Marlene

I'm fairly partial to Australian Shiraz, however my very favourite wine is from the Carmenet Winery in California called Dynamite Merlot. We can't get it here from the LCBO anymore so I have to have it imported but it's worth it!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'm fairly partial to Australian Shiraz, however my very favourite wine is from the Carmenet Winery in California called Dynamite Merlot.  We can't get it here from the LCBO anymore so I have to have it imported but it's worth it!

I did a vertical of the Michelton Print label from Central Victoria on Tuesday night.... all very yummy. We did 16 vintages between 1980 and 1999; the '98 and '99 look like being stunners. Other favourites were the 86, 91 and 96.

But I am in complete agreement with mickblueeyes; you can't beat a good burgundy for anything (except maybe value). I don't get too much of it though. My favourite wine I drink regularly is the Daniel Schuster Pinot Noir from NZ, although that's a bit hard to get sometimes.

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

White wine seems to disagre with me. Oh, I can drink it, but my body somehow doesn't like it. So I usually drink red unless there are compelling reasons to do otherwise. For about five years, my daily drinking was burgundies. Recently, I have been going back to the Spanish reds I'm fond of - Abadias from Valladolid, wines from the Ribera del Duero (especially Hacienda Monasterio), good Riojas - and I've also been drinking some ordinary, everyday clarets (Greysac, Moulin du Bourg, Simard).

Wish I could figure out Italian wines.

Wilfrid,

Have you tried Notarpanaro, from Dr. Cosimo Taurino; we're introduced to it by FG,

who mentioned in some of the wine thread, that this is his house red: excellent!

And why don't you ask David Lynch?

I just had a bottle of the Notarpanarno 95 last night. As always, it amazes me that they consistently sell seven- or eight-year-old wine for the price of a recent release ($13 in Seattle). The bottle age really shows well in this stuff--well-integrated, and even some secondary flavors/aromas at play, though they are dominated by the rich fruit, which is not faded at all after seven years. Also check out Taurino's Salice Salentino at about $8.

Steve

"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." --Dalai Lama