• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meatball Dipping Sauce

birder53

I want to serve meatballs in a spicy peanut sauce for a family gathering. Some folks don't care for spicy foods. Any suggestions for a second dipping sauce for this cautious group?

I did find one for honey mustard and bourbon, but I'm not sure if that is a good match for the beef.

KathyM

Rather old fashioned recipe now that I've dug it out.

Cook together 2 or 3 cloves of crushed garlic, salt, undiluted can of consumme (I'd probably substitute beef broth of some sort - perhaps Knorr) , 2 tbsp sugar, 1/2 cup honey, 1/4 cup soya sauce. Cook together then thicken to taste with a cornstarch slurry.

A Japanese dipping sauce is simple: Just make a 1:1 mixture of soy sauce and mirin for an intense flavor and a 1:1:1 mixture of soy sauce, mirin, and sake for a milder one. You can also add some dashi and/or citrus juice.

I want to serve meatballs in a spicy peanut sauce for a family gathering.  Some folks don't care for spicy foods.  Any suggestions for a second dipping sauce for this cautious group?

I did find one for honey mustard and bourbon, but I'm not sure if that is a good match for the beef.

Sweet and sour sauce with orange juice and zest would pair well with the beef.

I've used a blackberry-chipotle barbeque sauce on ribs and chops that you could omit the pepper from.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I haven't tried it yet but I was recently looking for a different sauce for meatballs and everywhere I looked I kept seeing links for grape jelly and chili sauce. I questioned using grape jelly but I saw dozens of variations on this theme and had it recommended to me by a fellow at work whose food opinions I value.

As my wife is diabetic it didn't seem appropriate for us at the time but I was intrigued enough that I will try it if she is not going to be around when I make them or if I make several sauces.

I haven't tried it yet but I was recently looking for a different sauce for meatballs and everywhere I looked I kept seeing links for grape jelly and chili sauce. I questioned using grape jelly but I saw dozens of variations on this theme and had it recommended to me by a fellow at work whose food opinions I value.

As my wife is diabetic it didn't seem appropriate for us at the time but I was intrigued enough that I will try it if she is not going to be around when I make them or if I make several sauces.

My former roommate did one with currant jelly and mustard. She uses French's yellow, but once I used some whole grain mustard instead and it was quite tasty. A little sweet, a bit tart, and mustardy.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini