• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavorful flour

emsny

As I said in another thread (the Sullivan Street no-knead bread thread), I have long used flours from Great Valley Mills in Pennsylvania. Products made with their hard and soft unbleached flours - especially bread made with the former - taste terrific. Or tastED terrific: I cannot get through to them to order more. Over the years, I've tried various flours from King Arthur and, more recently, from Giusto's but, as I kept no notes, I don't remember which had the best "wheaty" flavor. I do recall that there were notable differences, for instance, among the four Giusto's flours I tried, so this seems to be a real issue. Which brands - and which particular flours - do you all find to yield the best-tasting results?

Edited by emsny (log)