• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

3 CHICAS Mexican Kitchen

Lima Bean

3 CHICAS Mexican Kitchen - Wyckoff NJ

Eat in / Take out

Seats at bar to watch cook

Sep 3rd, 2002

Dinner - shrimp burrito, pork quesadilla, chips, salsa, guacamole

Cost - $26.00

Rating - 1 LIMA BEAN

---------------------------------------------

Everything on the menu is a la carte including the chips

Food is served on paper plates, bowls. Have you ever tried to eat a burrito in a paper bowl?

The pork was not shredded but chunks of fat, the shrimp was old and over cooked.

The red salsa was home made, slightly boring and served in a very small cup that I couldn't get the chip into.

The chipolte sauce was good, but I dont think it was homemade, the same for the guacamole.

They serve the basic "fast food" mexican fare with bergen county prices.

We prefer the Blue Moon Cafe in Wycoff for variety, and good food.

or

Mamacitas in Ramsey (former owner of the small mexican diner on rt 4 in Paramus). The menu is basic, but I think she makes one of the best mole and tomatillo sauces around. Her red salsa is more like tomatoe paste/sauce. We eat there once a week and can always count on the food.

it seems you are very critical, so you probably know what you're talking about.

That's every customer I know. BG. Oops, maybe I'm getting too drunk before the Giants game. Oh, that game is tomorrow. Someone take the IV of vodka off my arm. I have a game to go to.

:

So how many threads with the words "Mexican" and "New Jersey"/"NJ" in it does this make now? Are we up to a full dozen yet? :biggrin:

edit - okay, they don't all literally have "New Jersey" in them. And its more like 6 or 7 of them. My bad!

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

[seats at bar to watch cook

]

went in saw a bunch of kids all looked under 18 cooking

walked out quickly

did not look like a place to eat

- if you want quick Mexican go to El Gran Mexicano posted previously

if you want a few teenagers trying to cook Mexican go to 3 Chicas

[seats at bar to watch cook]

went in saw a bunch of kids all looked under 18 cooking

walked out quickly

did not look like a place to eat

- if you want quick Mexican go to El Gran Mexicano posted previously

if you want a few teenagers trying to cook Mexican go to 3 Chicas

I ate at 3 Chicas a week or so after it opened. I was pretty disappointed... not that I had high expectations or anything, but I was disappointed nonetheless. The funniest thing to me was the "salsa bar" (I think that's what they called it) to which the owner proudly directed me. Of the three little bowls of pathetic salsas that comprised this "salsa bar", two were empty and the third looked to be straight up jalapeños with juice out of a jar. I believe that surrounding it were various packaged condiments, but that might just be my mind exagerrating things. And yes, they give you disposable plates to eat on. The owner was talking up how great his place was to a couple of other customers, but he should've been concentrating on ANY other aspect of his business.

Anyway, it's possible that I MIGHT give this place another try for takeout, but I doubt it. Prices are more reasonable than the Blue Moon, but I don't really like that place much either (see other threads).

I've been curious to try Mamacita's, but just haven't gotten around to it yet... nor have I crossed the state line to try El Bandido, though I imagine that will come soon since it's had a few substantial recommendations.

also, what places do you actually enjoy aside from the above 2. it seems you are very critical, so you probably know what you're talking about.

What exactly is this board looking for? honest opinions of food establishments or just a joe smoe advise from someone that dines out maybe once every three months? Yes I am critical and have certain expectations, and by the way they are different depending upon the establishment (hot dog vendors different than a 5 star resturant). I dine out frequently, all over the country representing all different varieties of food. I don't consider myself a ZAGAT expert but a very serious novice.

Based upon the other feedback regarding this resturant, I would say my recommendation of only 1 LIMA BEAN was accurate.

Also, I don't believe I was comparing Blue Moon's crowd of kids (and true) to Rosa Mexicalli in NY by any means.....Since northern Bergen County doesn't have many mexican establishments, Blue Moon is good in a pinch. I wouldn't recommend a special trip for it. But if you live in the area, you should try it out.

So how many threads with the words "Mexican" and "New Jersey"/"NJ" in it does this make now?  Are we up to a full dozen yet?  :biggrin:

edit - okay, they don't all literally have "New Jersey" in them.  And its more like 6 or 7 of them.  My bad!

I'm editing the thread title to reflect the original post.