• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Champagne under $50

awbrig

The Zardetto brut is a good prosecco albeit slightly on the sulphury side, but it works quite well, especially in a mimosa on New Years Day. They have a "reserve" one that is very nice though.

If you can find Nino Franco or Canevel, kudos. All Proseccos are pretty damn good to begin with though.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I have drunk J. Selosse brut

My favorite producer of champagne at any price.

There was a nice piece on Selosse in the chamagne issue of the Art of Eating a few years back.

J Selosse Blanc de Blancs and Deutz Blance de Blancs (not the "L'Amour" cuvee). At least in France, both of the above Blanc de Blancs are under $50. However, I drink many different types of champagne, with an open bottle in my fridge at almost all times.

Edited by cabrales (log)

I looked at the label code on about twenty different brands of Champagne today. Except for two bottles, all were coded NM. This was in a supermarket type of display in a small French village. The turnover of wines in this place is quite great.

All were Brut, so the French drink this almost exclusively. There were some other sweet variations of sparkling wines but nothing except Brut for Champagne.

BlackDuff

I looked at the label code on about twenty different brands of Champagne today. Except for two bottles, all were coded NM.  This was in a supermarket type of display in a small French village. The turnover of wines in this place is quite great.

All were Brut, so the French drink this almost exclusively. There were some other sweet variations of sparkling wines but nothing except Brut for Champagne.

BlackDuff

I'm not sure if this is a good example or not. I'd be more interested in what the wine stores in Paris carry.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Shaw makes a great call with the Iron Horse Brut LD. I tasted it up in Sonoma last year and the recent vintage is very good indeed, although pushing the $50 limit as noted.

I think the best $50 bottle of Champagne is Lanson's Gold Label. Lanson's cheaper Black Label (about $25) is my regular bubbly. I also like Charles Ellner's vintage bottlings, which hover around the $50 mark.

I haven't seen it mentioned in this post but for less expensive champagne I think that Delbeck (about $30 brut/$40 rose in midsouth) is an excellent champagne. We also like Henriot Blanc de Blanc which is I think a Bouchard product that retails for about $35 here. The third is Nicolas Feuillant (sp) who has a brut at around $30. I think thay the Delbeck and the Henriot hold up well with food also so are not just for apperitif drinking.

• 3 weeks later...
the Argyle sparkling wine from Oregon, Knudsen Vinyard Brut 1996

All of Argyle's wines are awesome even if you cant find this one so you should give them a try.

I agree, this is tasty. Our local bistro was pouring it by the glass for a while...we called it Argle Bargle.

Schramsburg has some tasty under-$50 bottles...I've liked most years of their Blanc de Blanc.

Not champagne but I prefer Iron Horse Russian Cuvee, very nice for around $25-30. Also not champagne but a good bottle of Brachetto d'Acqui is heavenly. Scent of fresh strawberries, light bubbles, very refreshing. And, laugh if you must, but a top of the line Moscato d'Asti can be wonderful as well. These may be not be considered "serious" sparklers by others but they are very enjoyable nonetheless.

Non-vintage Rene Geoffroy

A small grower-Champagne that has pretty good US distribution

Yeah, but its a tough to find RM at that. I agree, its a great Champagne -- was top on our list when Rachel and I did Willie Gluckstern's blind taste test in 1999.

If you are in NYC, Nancy's Wines carries this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Jacquart is a weebit less expensive than Taittinger and better imho: a touch sharper yet more expansive. While on the floor at Zachys, I brought home Jacquart and Charles Heidsieck both, for $18 each, for daily drinking. Still, I agree Awbrig: Tait's the best of the easy to find.

PJ rose is good. I prefer it to Feuillate: only their fanciest is worth drinking, but by that time it costs real money. Mionetto's Sergio prosecco at $35 is expensive but good. Palateble proseccos at Vino for $10, superiore (?) to Zardetto.

Pretty pink Burgundy Sparklers on the cheap too.

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Nicholas Feuillate, Blanc de Blanc ($30) for pre-dinner/apetizers. You can smell the Chardonnay nicely in it and it's smooth but with a good first-attack.

And for a vintage, Roederer Vintage 1995 Rose; Excellent with food; any food. $46. If you can still find it in North America, let me know where, please! Well rounded and complex.

We've had inconsistent Domaine Carneros, by Taittinger so maybe it's the year that mattered. ($22) The nutty taste is amazing.

The Oregon Bubbly is interesting; I shall start to hunt it ...

"I hate people who are not serious about their meals." Oscar Wilde

• 3 months later...

In the not Champagne but miraculous none-the-less category, I'd like to add Sumarroca cava. It may only cost $8.50 (!!!) but puts most proseccos (not Sergio) to shame.

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

In the not Champagne but miraculous none-the-less category, I'd like to add Sumarroca cava. It may only cost $8.50 (!!!) but puts most proseccos (not Sergio) to shame.

You keep bringing that up. Must be great. I have to track down a bottle. Who is the importer? I think you bought it at Chambers's St.?

You keep bringing that up. Must be great. I have to track down a bottle. Who is the importer? I think you bought it at Chambers's St.?

PJ Wine has it. So does Astor Wines.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx