Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Thermometers


Recommended Posts

IMG_20180525_153835_HDR.jpg

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 years later...
18 hours ago, gfweb said:

Latest NYT thermometer ratings

 

Why do I own like all of the Thermo Works - pops, dots, pens, alarms, etc...? Great products. 

 

I actually just bought the WAND.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, weinoo said:

 

Why do I own like all of the Thermo Works - pops, dots, pens, alarms, etc...? Great products. 

 

I actually just bought the WAND.

 

I'm a collector as well. Got the Thermapen first but I use the Pop more because it's easier not to break my finger nails pulling out the probe on the pen.  The Dot is stuck up on my wall oven full time with an air probe inside to monitor the temp.  Can easily move the probe over to the CSO on the counter next to it or swap it for a penetration probe.  I like the Alarm for deep frying and candy or jam making, although the dot works for that, too.  I have a little IR thermometer from them for checking pans but haven't bought a Wand yet.  I've been thinking of trying one of their little pH meters. My lab experience has made me wary of trying to maintain pH electrodes used with any sort of gunky material, which would include most foods. Maybe these are better. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

 

I'm a collector as well. Got the Thermapen first but I use the Pop more because it's easier not to break my finger nails pulling out the probe on the pen.  The Dot is stuck up on my wall oven full time with an air probe inside to monitor the temp.  Can easily move the probe over to the CSO on the counter next to it or swap it for a penetration probe.  I like the Alarm for deep frying and candy or jam making, although the dot works for that, too.  I have a little IR thermometer from them for checking pans but haven't bought a Wand yet.  I've been thinking of trying one of their little pH meters. My lab experience has made me wary of trying to maintain pH electrodes used with any sort of gunky material, which would include most foods. Maybe these are better. 

 

I'm pretty sure Thermoworks dosen't manufacture the pH meters they sell.  Anyhow I have not yet succumbed.

 

My Thermoworks collection includes two Thermapens, a surface contact Thermapen, wifi, waterproof, precision reference thermometer, countless thermocouples, and a Wand.  Plus cases to almost fit them in.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2020 at 2:26 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm pretty sure Thermoworks dosen't manufacture the pH meters they sell.  Anyhow I have not yet succumbed.

 

My Thermoworks collection includes two Thermapens, a surface contact Thermapen, wifi, waterproof, precision reference thermometer, countless thermocouples, and a Wand.  Plus cases to almost fit them in.

 

thermoworks doesn't manufacture the thermapen, either. ETI does. https://blog.thermoworks.com/thermometer/thermoworks-eti-ltd/

 

that's not a criticism. just sharing because i thought it was interesting.

Edited by jaw (log)
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jaw said:

 

thermoworks doesn't manufacture the thermapen, either. ETI does. https://blog.thermoworks.com/thermometer/thermoworks-eti-ltd/

 

that's not a criticism. just sharing because i thought it was interesting.

 

Oh, I thought the two companies were related.  I still doubt that either Thermoworks or ETI make their pH meters.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...