• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

3 hours ago, gulfporter said:

How do you mount it...will it hook onto rack and face forward?  Can you remove the probe?  

I went to site but no pics of it hanging inside of oven that I could see. 

I'm not @DiggingDogFarm, but here's what I do:

My oven has vent holes on both sides of the convection fan cover that's part of the back wall of the oven.  I believe they function as air returns for the convection fan.  I was able to put one of the grate clips in one of those holes.  It's easy to remove just the probe or both the clip and probe. It would be more ideal to have the probe closer to the food and I did that for a while but I had to move it about all the time depending on what I was putting in the oven. The readings I get from the probe in this position track well with the little analog oven thermometer that I move around. 

Embarrassing dirty oven photo:

IMG_7865.jpg.b667d639ff727ba543e436fb2013b40a.jpg

Edited to add this photo of the Dot on the outside of the oven and to add that the self-clean cycle is now running to remedy the above situation xD:

IMG_6091.jpg.d64621474d8cfcc104d4c42e87075c28.jpg

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

3 hours ago, gulfporter said:

How do you mount it...will it hook onto rack and face forward?  Can you remove the probe?  

My oven has vent holes on both sides of the convection fan cover that's part of the back wall of the oven.  I believe they function as air returns for the convection fan.  I was able to put one of the grate clips in one of those holes.  It's easy to remove just the probe or both the clip and probe. It would be more ideal to have the probe closer to the food and I did that for a while but I had to move it about all the time depending on what I was putting in the oven. The readings I get from the probe in this position track well with the little analog oven thermometer that I move around. 

Edited to add this photo of the Dot on the outside of the oven:

IMG_6091.jpg.d64621474d8cfcc104d4c42e87075c28.jpg

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

23 minutes ago, gulfporter said: