• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Naples and area...looking for some suggestions

Shmily

We (2 adults) are going to be visiting Naples area in Jan 08 for a week...we are looking for good, reasonable simple (healthy) food...for dinners...We also are looking for someplace we can pick up yummy sandwiches to take with us on day trips...thanks in advance... :biggrin::smile:

• 2 weeks later...

CalistogaCalistoga on Airport Road has pretty good sandwiches, salads, etc reasonably. Also excellent for breakfast, I love their croissant with ham and assiago cheese. Also the cheese brioche. Yummy stuff there. Keep away from the low cal , low carb type pastry stuff though. Those weren't that good.

Noodles, on Pine Ridge has decent Italian, though I have not had their sushi.

Sushi Thai off US 19 in north Naples is excellent. Very cozy, fresh fish, super chefs.

Il Primo had great wings, and fair pizza, but their quality had slipped a bit right before we moved. So I can't really recommend it fully, but you could try it in a pinch.

I just spent the last 2 years in Naples, so feel free to pm me and I can likely think of more good places to go eat at.

Enjoy your trip!

Shai, santoku-wielding dabbler in many things culinary.

CalistogaCalistoga on Airport Road has pretty good sandwiches, salads, etc reasonably.  Also excellent for breakfast, I love their croissant with ham and assiago cheese.  Also the cheese brioche.  Yummy stuff there.  Keep away from the low cal , low carb type pastry stuff though.  Those weren't that good.

Noodles, on Pine Ridge has decent Italian, though I have not had their sushi.

Sushi Thai off US 19 in north Naples is excellent.  Very cozy, fresh fish, super chefs.

Il Primo had great wings, and fair pizza, but their quality had slipped a bit right before we moved.  So I can't really recommend it fully, but you could try it in  a pinch.

I just spent the last 2 years in Naples, so feel free to pm me and I can likely think of more good places to go eat at.

Enjoy your trip!

Hi..Thanks for the great suggestions...I certainly will take your suggestion and write to you again...do you have any more suggestions for dinners like these..especially simply cooked fish and seasfood...thanks again... :biggrin::biggrin:

Hi..Thanks for the great suggestions...I certainly will take your suggestion and write to you again...do you have any more suggestions for dinners like these..especially simply cooked fish and seasfood...thanks again... :biggrin:  :biggrin:

The best recommendation I can give you for very fresh, simply prepared seafood is Captian Kirk's seafood market on 8th St in Downtown Naples. It's right across from Cambier Park, just a smidge bit south of downtown proper. 239-263-1976.

A chef friend told me about it, and he was right. It's a small, family run shop, they sell fresh fish and other seastuffs that they catch mostly on their own boats. They will grill or broil you up a fillet right in the store, and stick it on a nice bun with tomato, lettuce, for around $6. Good stuff.

Shai, santoku-wielding dabbler in many things culinary.

• 1 month later...

Bayside Seafood Bar and Grill in the Venetian Village off of Bayshore drive is great for "simply" prepared seafood, and they have a nice upper deck bar as well. You must also go to Grouper and Chips to see how real floridians eat grouper. I always suggest Pastrami Dans on 41 just south of central ave for a really good sandwich although a bit pricey. Also, try USS Nemo, north of Golden Gate on 41 on the west side (you may need to ask someone for directions) they have the best thing going for variety and quality. DG

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

Bayside Seafood Bar and Grill in the Venetian Village off of Bayshore drive is great for "simply" prepared seafood, and they have a nice upper deck bar as well.  You must also go to Grouper and Chips to see how real floridians eat grouper.  I always suggest Pastrami Dans on 41 just south of central ave for a really good sandwich although a bit pricey.  Also, try USS Nemo, north of Golden Gate on 41 on the west side (you may need to ask someone for directions)  they have the best thing going for variety and quality.  DG

thanks for your suggestions...are any of the seafood suggestions broiled or grilled rather than fried?? Thanks :smile::smile:

Bayside Seafood Bar and Grill in the Venetian Village off of Bayshore drive is great for "simply" prepared seafood, and they have a nice upper deck bar as well.  You must also go to Grouper and Chips to see how real floridians eat grouper.  I always suggest Pastrami Dans on 41 just south of central ave for a really good sandwich although a bit pricey.  Also, try USS Nemo, north of Golden Gate on 41 on the west side (you may need to ask someone for directions)  they have the best thing going for variety and quality.  DG

thanks for your suggestions...are any of the seafood suggestions broiled or grilled rather than fried?? Thanks :smile::smile:

You can get the fish however you want it. Bayside specializes in grilled or blackened.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

You can get the fish however you want it. Bayside specializes in grilled or blackened.

Sounds perfect...thank you very much... :smile::biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
The best recommendation I can give you for very fresh, simply prepared seafood is Captian Kirk's seafood market on 8th St in Downtown Naples. It's right across from Cambier Park, just a smidge bit south of downtown proper. 239-263-1976.

A chef friend told me about it, and he was right. It's a small, family run shop, they sell fresh fish and other seastuffs that they catch mostly on their own boats. They will grill or broil you up a fillet right in the store, and stick it on a nice bun with tomato, lettuce, for around $6. Good stuff.

oh, this is timely for me--thanks for the tips--

we are going to be in Naples in Sept--we've been there a few times before--family there.

--and this comment inspired me to ask--is there someplace you can go to meet the fishermen when they come in to buy fish from them? Almost every coastal place has docks where you can do this--and i love to buy directly--cheaper and fresher--but haven't been able to figure out where to do this in naples--and buying shrimp from Publix just doesn't do it!

thanks--Zoe