• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southwest Harbor, Maine

Shmily

We are going up to Southwest Harbor for a week in September. We do go every year and love Thurstons for lobster...however, we are looking for other suggestions...in Southwest Harbor or any of the towns on the "quiet side of the Island". Anyone know the name of a deli in Northeast Harbor for sandwiches...we saw someone eating one last summer that looked great. Mexican food is really not our thing...all other healthy suggestions are welcome...thanks in advance... :smile::biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

Little Notch makes Italian-style sandwiches. Eat-a-Pita/Cafe2 makes sandwiches sandwiches. Both Sawyer's Market and Sawyers Specialities (wine, beer, some gourmet-type items) might make sandwiches. Cafe Dry Dock and the Hot Dog place may make deli-style sandwiches. But I'm unaware of a pure "deli" type sandwich place in SWH. Then again, I haven't been up there since October 2005.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Little Notch makes Italian-style sandwiches. Eat-a-Pita/Cafe2 makes sandwiches sandwiches. Both Sawyer's Market and Sawyers Specialities (wine, beer, some gourmet-type items) might make sandwiches. Cafe Dry Dock and the Hot Dog place may make deli-style sandwiches. But I'm unaware of a pure "deli" type sandwich place in SWH. Then again, I haven't been up there since October 2005.

the deli place that we saw is in Northeast Harbor because we took an island boat tour from there which was quite interesting actually....we try to do something different every time we go... :smile:

the deli place that we saw is in Northeast Harbor because we took an island boat tour from there which was quite interesting actually....we try to do something different every time we go... :smile:

Oops. I saw SWH in the topic and missed NEH in the body. I've had sandwiches made for me at Pine Tree Market in NEH, and they were fine. A Google map search produced the Full Belli Deli in NEH, but I'm unfamiliar with it.

Robert's Market Report

I do believe that it is the Full Belli Deli...thank you so much for finding the name...I think it is new in the last year or so...Anyone been there?? and thanks again...hope you get back up there soon... :smile::smile:

Another place we visted years ago, was the Tidal Falls Lobster Pound,It is past Hancock .Take US route 1 past Hancock,look for East Side Road,before the bridge ,go to Tidal Falls road . Great place very scenic when tide changes,if the lobster pound is still there,excellent mussels,lobster rolls and Lobster .

Another place we visted years ago, was the Tidal Falls Lobster Pound,It is  past Hancock .Take US route 1 past Hancock,look for East Side Road,before the bridge ,go to Tidal Falls road . Great place very scenic when tide changes,if the lobster pound is still there,excellent mussels,lobster rolls and Lobster .

I concur on Mangia Squared's evaluation. iirc, it was still there two years ago.

Robert's Market Report

Another place we visted years ago, was the Tidal Falls Lobster Pound,It is  past Hancock .Take US route 1 past Hancock,look for East Side Road,before the bridge ,go to Tidal Falls road . Great place very scenic when tide changes,if the lobster pound is still there,excellent mussels,lobster rolls and Lobster .

I concur on Mangia Squared's evaluation. iirc, it was still there two years ago.

It's still there...Tidal Falls distinction is that the falls reverse depending on the tide direction...way cool.

On your way there, don't miss 'Sullivan Harbor Farms Smoked Salmon", also on Rt 1 in Hancock. Yummy salmon products.

All that is needed for evil to survive is for good people to do nothing

We always stay at the Claremont Hotel - although dinner is served primarily for hotel guests, I believe it is open to the public, and might make a nice change of pace from the lobster pounds. The dining room has a terrific view of the bay, and if you are at all into wine they frequently have some selections on their list that are terrific bargains. Food is not spectacular, but never bad, either - get there a little early and grab a drink at the boathouse before hand.