• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The most exquisite paper napkin in the world

thecuriousone

HI All-

I am hosting a luncheon for my mom who HATES cloth napkins. she consideres them unsanitary and there is nothing I can do to change her mind.

I am hosting a sit down lunch for her and her girlfriends and want to put together a really nice table. Can anyone suggest an exquisite paper napkin I could order?

thanks for any suggestions, I could use the help.

H. Lee

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Ikea has really nice paper napkins- they almost seem like cloth and they have really cool seasonal designs.

from the website:

"We have two types of paper napkins. Our normal three-ply napkins have good absorbency. But if you want paper napkins with a fabric feel, choose the ones in packets marked with a fan symbol. They're higher quality and more absorbent, too."

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...813&cattype=sub

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. The resources that you provided have given me a lot to think about.

I have another question. How are the pros mixing paper and china? Because I am not hostng this at my home, I decided not to try to schepp my fine china across the country. Other options I've considered are buying inexpensive standards (plain white ceramic dinner plates for example) and accenting with color for appetizer plates or salad plates. Any suggestions on how you have seen paper and china mixed would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Every holiday dinner of my life has mixed paper and china...your basic Coronet dinner napkin I think I have some in the pantry

half the fun of holidays as a child was wicking all the ink out of my uncle's fountain pen into a napkin after dinner :laugh: (just saw a TV show about fountains pens a few days ago and told my husband about what I used to do)

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

instead of having to buy a bunch of dishes, consider consulting a party supply place that you can rent dishes from.  It's not too expensive and you don't have to wash them, just scrape off the food.

Amen. Seriously. My father recently had a big blast for his 80th and was saying tonight that he regretted buying a bunch of champagne flutes, (cloth) napkins, plates, etc. Next time my parents have a big party they'll rent more stuff. Not having to hand wash and dry 75 fragile flutes at 3 am makes the modest rental price seem even more modest. If the cloth napkins came from a linen rental place maybe your mother would cotton to them? ( :raz: )

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com