• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Question about refreezing

John

I love hot dogs and have sampled them all along the Northeast. I buy them through mail order and have people send them to me. When I purchase hot dogs I keep them in the refrigerator until I open the package. Then I store the remainder in the freezer.

My question is about refreezing. I was recently sent a large quantity of different hot dogs via overnight mail. The dogs were packed in ice. They were still cold when I got them so I put the unopened packages in the refrigerator. I found out that these hot dogs were stored in a freezer prior to them being sent to me. One package has 5 lbs, the other 2 have 3 lbs each. Once I open the packages, do you think it would be ok to freeze the remaining hot dogs? I've heard that you can refreeze. Others have told me this is no good. What do you think?

John the hot dog guy

My butcher dad who has made and stored alot of hot dogs (wieners) in his life says re-freeze. He suggests freezing the ones you know you won't use this week sooner rather than later. He also emphasizes that how you freeze them is a big deal. Whatever your method, keep the air out, and make sure your freezer actually keeps things frozen. Freezer burn is a crime!

Heidih,

Thanks so much for the information. And thank you dad. Some of the best hot dogs and wieners I've had were made at butcher shops. I'm in New Jersey. Would your dad's shop happen to be in Jersey? If so, I would love to try some.

John the hot dog guy

My dad is 85! and retired. His company was in Los Angeles and has closed, but they did supply the hot dogs for the Der Wienschnitzel chain when it was just starting out. A tastier time....