• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ethiopian or Somail food markets

I used to work at Harborview and had a couple of markets in Seattle where I liked to shop. The Halal markets always had some goat and lots of other things I could not find anywhere else... They are gone now the stores I know..so...do you know please where the Ethiopian or Somali markets are? are theye any in the Downtown area?

thanks in advance for any advice

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

There are 3 or 4 right around the intersection of Military Rd and Pac Hwy S in Tukwila and at least a couple along MLK in the Rainier Valley.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

thanks you guys I know the area in Tukwilla so I will drive by on my way to Seattle and hopefully fine what I am looking for ..then if no luck the Central district ..I heard a girl I used to work with at Harborview just opened one with her sister so maybe that will pan out as well.

thanks again

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

There are a few in Columbia City as well. One on Edmunds, next to the restaurant (not remembering the name) just east of Rainier. Also, further South on Rainier, and even further South as you head towards Rainier Beach.

I wouldn't know what to buy, so I don't know if they are good.

Edited by tsquare (log)

I have seen "halal" on signs on a small market right on Lake City Way, east side of the street, somewhere between 123rd and 130th.

Also, there are two Ethiopian restaurants right on or right off of 15th Ave NE just north of Northgate -- somewhere between 105th and 125th. I'm pretty sure one of these has a "halal" sign. Also, right in that same area, I know I've seen at least one market advertising "halal." All of these would be on the right side if you're heading north on 15th Ave NE.

As an aside, this area in general has lots of little ethnic markets (well, maybe "lots" is too strong a word, but certainly they are there). You kinda have to be watching for them, though.

SusieQ