• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Rogues, Writers & Whores'

rlibkind

Bob, for those of us who didn't buy the WSJ, could you summarize the key points in the review? Mazel tov on the good reviews, Daniel.

Michael aka "Pan"

Bob, for those of us who didn't buy the WSJ, could you summarize the key points in the review? Mazel tov on the good reviews, Daniel.

I believe I'm within the rules if I quote just part of the opening paragraph?

What do "rogues, writers and whores" have to do with food? A great deal, according to Daniel Rogov, a columnist for Le Monde in Paris. He leads us on a literately louche tour of two millennia of culinary history, highlighting food-linked immortals from the Latin gourmand Lucius Licinius Lucullus to A.J. Liebling, the American journalist who made Paris his adopted home. - The OnLine Journal - "Gastronomy" - By ARAM BAKSHIAN JR. - June 2, 2007; Page P8

The review goes on to mention sections from the book dealing with food related stories of various characters including writers Pepys, Hemmingway, Proust, and Joyce. Historical royal figures are apparently also featured.

From the tone of the piece I would say it was "favorably reviewed". :smile:

SB (whose Amazon Wish List just keeps getting longer :wink: )

• 2 weeks later...

Great job Daniel.

Amazon gave it a good review as well.

I also put it on my shopping list!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

damn, another book I have to buy... I already told you this, but congrats!!! do I get a signed copy?

Grimod

"Bacchus has drowned

more men then Neptune"

Thomas Fuller