• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods that DO NOT belong in sushi rolls

Can I just say Eeewwwwwww? My flesh crawled as I read that...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I asked my Kiddle, lover of all foods wrapped in nori, what she thinks is inedible as sushi, she said potatoes without hesitation. Kiddle reminded me that she has eaten peanut butter on nori, in the past (please, someone, remove the memory of her green stained teeth, from eating 6 ounces of nori at one go, from my brain), and also salad. So, I must give her the respect as a bonafide nori fiend, if she says potatoes, potatoes it MUST be.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Hey, I wrote that article! Thanks for the link and the sympathy. The cold french fries really were awfully bad in the roll. I don't know if it made it better or worse that they didn't even use nori for a lot of the rolls--the "gringo sushi" all had these weird, dry, floury wrappers.

That sounds like the colored wrappers I saw at FoodEx Japan a couple of times. I think they're made from soybeans, in part, and often, various colorings. I remember not being impressed, though they seem to have been making a dent in the US market.

Hey, I wrote that article! Thanks for the link and the sympathy. The cold french fries really were awfully bad in the roll. I don't know if it made it better or worse that they didn't even use nori for a lot of the rolls--the "gringo sushi" all had these weird, dry, floury wrappers.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

The New York Times is talking about how the bluefin tuna shortage is leading Japanese chefs to find alternatives, including smoked deer meat, raw horsemeat, and American-style inventions involving avocado and the like.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/25/business...serland&emc=rss

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

• 5 weeks later...

triple :shock: french fries! you deserve a medal :raz:

okay. ff, cream cheese, tomato are total nono's for me but catsup and carrot matchsitcks as well...had those at a private party from a so-called "traiteur japonais" here in Switzerland.... now, they adore veggie makis and are pretty tame around here when it comes to asian food around here but I was still appalled... pls note that I'm French :biggrin:

I've seen a fair bit of mango in the cheap places here in Toronto. None of these are Japanese owned by the way...mostly Korean or Chinese or even gaigen. I went to Japan last year and had the chance to see what real sushi tastes like. Nothing like we have here, that's for sure.

Save the Deliwww.savethedeli.com

Can't stand avocado. Nothing should be softer than the fish. It just feels gross biting through soft rice, soft fish, then mushy avocado. If you're going to have a vegetable in their it needs some texture.

And now to contradict myself....

I actually like cream cheese sometimes. I've tried it with salmon, which was gross. But a place that I go to makes sushi with cream cheese rolled with the rice on the outside, then unagi on top. I only tried it because the alternatives didn't even have fish in them, but it turned out to be pretty good.

I've also seen mango, but the place stopped selling it after about a week.

Smoked salmon isn't too good.

• 2 months later...