• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods that DO NOT belong in sushi rolls

I love sushi rolls, all kinds, temaki (hand rolls), hosomaki (thin rolls) futomaki (fat rools, etc. I have tried many different varieties even some I thought sounded quite unappetizing and was often pleasantly surprised. A couple days ago I ate one that I actually wanted to spit out of my mouth.

The offending food ingredient?

red bell pepper

It completed overpowered the roll and was the only thing I could taste. It was rolled with raw tuna, cucumber and mayo, not the most pleasant combination either..

It was bought at the Costco here in Tokyo...

Anyone else have a bad a experience with a sushi roll?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Cream cheese on a bagel? Yummm....

Cream cheese in a roll? Yackkk....

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I love the combination of unagi & avocaco. When they warm up the unagi & brush it with that glaze, and toasted sesame seeds, I could eat that for life & never tire of it. I had it in NYC on a trip, with a Japanese beer, by the name, "White Ale", it had a picture of a white owl on the label. I believe it was infused with ginger. That was a most memorable food experience. I went back the following year, and they were out of the white ale. I was so disappointed, I didn't enjoy my time nearly as much.

I have never had anything that I found offensive, though Ive never tried sushi with red pepper & cream cheese.

in a lot of sushi places i've been to, they put crushed Rice Krispies instead of the more familiar tempura batter crumbs--less fat, i guess. but eww... :raz:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

I agree about cream cheese--ick.

now my local sushi place has a roll that sounds gross and is actually good--manhattan roll--apple, smoked salmon and tuna.

Cream cheese is the worst offender.

I went to a sushi restaurant in McAllen, Texas near the Mexican border. More than half the rolls on the menu, of which there were over fifty total -- mostly simple permutations of each other -- had cream cheese in them! I wonder if sushi in Mexico is equally bad, or if the love for cream cheese is a Tex-Mex preference.

I love the combination of unagi & avocaco. When they warm up the unagi & brush it with that glaze, and toasted sesame seeds, I could eat that for life & never tire of it. I had it in NYC on a trip, with a Japanese beer, by the name, "White Ale", it had a picture of a white owl on the label. I believe it was infused with ginger. That was a most memorable food experience. I went back the following year, and they were out of the white ale. I was so disappointed, I didn't enjoy my time nearly as much.

I have never had anything that I found offensive, though Ive never tried sushi with red pepper & cream cheese.

the beer you had was hitachino white, its pretty easy to find if you have a beer store with a good beer selection. They also make a good lacto stout.

like pretty much everyone here I hate cream cheese in a sushi roll. Anything dairy in a sushi roll is pretty much off limits...especially if its some sort of cheese.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

My daughter recently went to a place in Oakland that served what they called Oregon roll. It was filled with smoked salmon, cream cheese, and avocado.?????

She liked it. I can't comment because I have never had sushi with cream cheese.

Oil, as in the oil that is used to deep fry rolls. Ick. I just don't like rolls that are cooked. Now I can handle some softshell crab that has been deep-fried and put in a roll, but not the entire damn roll itself!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Cream Cheese in Sushi Rolls.... I think I will pass.

I can believe you about the red bell pepper. It wouldn't be something I would use in a roll. It's too aromatic and flavorful. It would overwhelm whatever it was with. I prefer to cook with it because it really gives a great accent to pork and chicken.

In addition to the misuse of cream cheese in sushi rolls, I have mixed feelings about those who go one step further and put lox in there. Sometimes this actually works for me, but only if a really mild sweet-flavored Nova lox is used. Otherwise the lox's flavor is just way too strong and blots out just about everything else. And meanwhile a whole other part of my head is going "I'd much rather have this lox on a bagel and some actual raw fish in this roll."

My daughter recently went to a place in Oakland that served what they called Oregon roll. It was filled with smoked salmon, cream cheese, and avocado.?????

She liked it. I can't comment because I have never had sushi with cream cheese.

I've had similar rolls called "Philadelphia Rolls". Nothing to do with the city, more to do with the brand name of cream cheese.

They're good, although getting used to the texture takes a bit of time.

The worst thing I've had in a sushi roll was raw carrot.

Cheryl

• 2 weeks later...

Peanut butter in sushi? :blink:

I've seen recipes for nigiri sushi topped with strawberry and kiwi fruit but have never seen it served anywhere.

I've tried British sushi in London. The Marks & Spencer department store sushi set has smoked mackerel nigiri, smoked salmon nigiri, and a cucumber/red pepper/tuna mayonnaise rice roll. Kind of like eating rice and sandwich fillings, with no wasabi.

Edited by greenspot (log)