• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sharing Wine with the Kitchen

Raoul Duke

Occasionally the little woman and I get dinner out, and since we're in a wine producing area, we take a bottle, or two, with us. Generally good stuff. I frequently have wine remaining after dinner, sometimes a lot, sometimes a little, that for the sake of driving do not want to finish. I usually send this to the kitchen staff. Is this in bad taste or is it appreciated? Mind you this is beyond the tip for service. I have second thoughts about doing this sometimes, but write it off as my paranoia. I'd like to hear opinions on this.

Raoul

"I drink to make other people interesting".

Occasionally the little woman and I get dinner out, and since we're in a wine producing area, we take a bottle, or two, with us.  Generally good stuff. I frequently have wine remaining after dinner, sometimes a lot, sometimes a little, that for the sake of driving do not want to finish.  I usually send this to the kitchen staff.  Is this in bad taste or is it appreciated?  Mind you this is beyond the tip for service.  I have second thoughts about doing this sometimes, but write it off as my paranoia.  I'd like to hear opinions on this.

Raoul

it's always appreciated in the kitchen...

Occasionally the little woman and I get dinner out, and since we're in a wine producing area, we take a bottle, or two, with us.  Generally good stuff. I frequently have wine remaining after dinner, sometimes a lot, sometimes a little, that for the sake of driving do not want to finish.  I usually send this to the kitchen staff.  Is this in bad taste or is it appreciated?  Mind you this is beyond the tip for service.  I have second thoughts about doing this sometimes, but write it off as my paranoia.  I'd like to hear opinions on this.

Raoul

I'd say it's almost expected.

The kitchen loves it! And we always remember the guest on their next visit. In most cases the guest comes back to the kitchen to deliver the goods and visits a bit...almost always appreciated unless we are in a hurry to get home.

Waiters love it, too. One of the best dinners I ever had was when a delightful couple got too liquored up to finish their Stag's Leap Cask 23 (which I don't think you can even buy in DC any more, even at the suggested retail price of $175/bottle) so they gave me a half-bottle to sneak out of the restaurant after my shift. To make the evening perfect, the kitchen hadn't sold out of the extraordinary brioche they made, and I got a half a loaf of that. Toasted brioche and Cask 23 -- best shift meal ever.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Many people of the kitchen staff have a great appreciation for wine. But rarely will they spend $200 on a bottle of wine, so even if you have a glass left, send it to the kitchen staff as a thanks. You might even get special treatment the next time you come in if they remember you.