• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baking with a Gem Iron

Habeas Brulee

After reading Bron's recipe for Ginger Gems, I hunted around until I found an affordable gem iron on ebay. It arrived yesterday.

A gem iron is a cast iron pan with 12 depressions that are rounded at the bottom. If you follow the link above, you'll see a few photos of what a gem pan looks like.

I know I want to try that Ginger Gem recipe, and I'm told you can make any muffin recipe in a gem iron, too. My partner wants to pour his cornbread batter into it and see what happens.

Does anyone else have gem recipes to share? What do you use your gem iron for, if you have one?

After reading Bron's recipe for Ginger Gems, I hunted around until I found an affordable gem iron on ebay. It arrived yesterday.

A gem iron is a cast iron pan with 12 depressions that are rounded at the bottom. If you follow the link above, you'll see a few photos of what a gem pan looks like.

I know I want to try that Ginger Gem recipe, and I'm told you can make any muffin recipe in a gem iron, too. My partner wants to pour his cornbread batter into it and see what happens.

Does anyone else have gem recipes to share? What do you use your gem iron for, if you have one?

Cornbread, all kinds of cupcake and muffin recipes work just fine. Fill them so they rise well above the top edge, while they are still in the pan, cut the tops off evenly with a long knife and turn out onto a cooling rack.

I use a rounded soup spoon to cut a hollow in two, fill with your preferred filling and stick them together.

I cook raspberry jam (seedless) down until it is like glue when cold and fill dark chocolate or cocoa muffins, with a raspberry mousse.

If you want, you can ice(frost) them and roll them in macaroon or shredded coconut to make snowballs.

Spice cake muffins filled with thick apple butter are delicious.

You can also pack shredded potatoes into a hot gem pan and if you have a second one, have it heated also and fit it (after spraying with vegetable oil) and press onto the potatoes. In preheated irons, these cook in 12 to 15 minutes in a 400 degree oven.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett