• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hollywood Restaurants

markk

I'm going to be staying in Hollywood, which is farther north than I ever stay when I go to Miami Beach, so I'm thinking that trips to Coral Gables and South Beach might be too far.

I will however, make the drive for Michy's.

Any recommendations for good dining in Hollywood or even north of there? French, and casual upscale dining would be great. I'm not looing for Asian cuisines. Seafood would be great.

I had a truly lousy meal at Billy's in December and don't want to return there, though.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I'm going to be staying in Hollywood, which is farther north than I ever stay when I go to Miami Beach, so I'm thinking that trips to Coral Gables and South Beach might be too far.

Any recommendations for good dining in Hollywood or even north of there?  French, and casual upscale dining would be great.  I'm not looing for Asian cuisines.  Seafood would be great.

I had a truly lousy meal at Billy's in December and don't want to return there, though.

I have heard from reliable friends that Sage has excellent French food. Enjoy your trip!

"God give us good taste, why bother?" Captain Jim's Sushi Chef

I have heard from reliable friends that Sage has excellent French food. Enjoy your trip!

Just remember, that's not the Sage Deli! :raz: (Rebecca, who is presently in Miami, NOT eating. :sad: )

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Although the Sage Deli is required gnoshing for any trip to Hollywood. You can find me in the bagel line every other Sunday. :biggrin:

Are you looking for Hole-in-the-wall, fine dining, or all of the above?

Any recommendations for good dining in Hollywood or even north of there?  French, and casual upscale dining would be great.  I'm not looing for Asian cuisines.  Seafood would be great.

Check out the Old Florida Seafood House in Wilton Manors(ft. Lauderdale).

I also had some excellent Cuban food thanks to a recomendation by Anne. Las Vegas Cuban has a few locations in Hollywood( although I ate at the one in Plantation).

• 2 weeks later...

Le Tub on Hollywood Beach has a great burger (number one in the country according to GQ) and lots of people like it for the "old Florida" atmosphere. Be warned, it is a massive burger and usually a long wait. Cash only. Lots of fun.

Downtown Hollywood has a couple of good spots. I'm fond of Beefeater steakhouse, a reasonably priced Argentinian place. Right next door is PRL, a Polish bar with a great beer list. Next door to that is Mauro's, which has great pizza. Across the street is Chocolada, a very good Russian pastry shop. It's worth taking a walk around Main Street and Harrison Street and seeing if anything else catches your eye. Hollywood Vine is a nice wine bar on Harrison near Dixie Highway.

I believe you said you weren't into Asian, but I have to recommend Hiro's Yakko San, an izakaya (Japanese tapas) restaurant in North Miami (probably about a 10-15 minute drive from Hollywood). Since I moved here last year it has become my favorite place. Plus they're usually open until around 2 or 3 in the morning.

Also, if you're looking for a very casual and very friendly seafood place, try Tark's, which is on US1, north of Hollywood in Dania. The first time we went there, we saw a few people get dropped off there straight from the airport with all of their luggage. I think that's a good sign.

There's also a French-Canadian place up in Dania called Dairy Belle, which serves poutine, if you're into that.

Edited by NickV (log)

The South American food in the area is well worth sampling. We have had a great influx of South American's over the last decade, and it is prepared well and very good. Many Peruvian (more seafood) and Argentinian places around.

At the corner of Hallendale Beach Blvd and Federal is "The Knife" - a great Argentinian place. It's a fixed price of $25 that includes wine, coffee and dessert - if you don't make yourself sick at the grill and appy bars.

"The Knife's" Home Page

It's not cheap food - trust me. They have some very interesting appy's, my hubby's favorite is a marinated tongue that is a staple. All cuts of meat - done in some very interesting preps. Good sausage. Great empanadas. Sweetbreads and tripe. Very nice dessert selection. Some surprises there as well.

And the place is just fun. Makes me smile! :biggrin:

And I do second the recco of a burger at Le Tub. The drive up A1A is a blast as well.