• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Copper River Salmon

I found Copper River Salmon yesterday at the East Hanover Costco at $9.99 a pound....looked beautiful...so I scooped it up for dinner tonight...called West Orange Whole Foods to compare prices and the fish man told me he had ordered 20 pounds for tomorrow...he has none today...it would be priced between $15 and $25 a pound this early in the season...I just wanted to share the information if anyone is interested in getting it.... :biggrin::biggrin:

I found Copper River Salmon yesterday at the East Hanover Costco at $9.99 a pound....looked beautiful..

Was the Costco fish King (a.k.a. "chinook") or Sockeye (a.k.a. "red") The two Copper River varieties run concurrently, with an anticipated 1.36 million sockeyes in this season's take vs. 50,000 kings -- so sockeyes tend to be less pricey. They're delicious, too, but not quite as tasty. Based on the price, it's my guess Costo is selling sockeye at that price, though I'd love to be wrong.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I found Copper River Salmon yesterday at the East Hanover Costco at $9.99 a pound....looked beautiful..

Was the Costco fish King (a.k.a. "chinook") or Sockeye (a.k.a. "red") The two Copper River varieties run concurrently, with an anticipated 1.36 million sockeyes in this season's take vs. 50,000 kings -- so sockeyes tend to be less pricey. They're delicious, too, but not quite as tasty. Based on the price, it's my guess Costo is selling sockeye at that price, though I'd love to be wrong.

I honestly do not know..is there any way I can tell from the package?? :smile:

If it's King/chinook, the package will say so. If it doesn't, assume it's sockeye. Again, it's not a bad fish at all, and quite tasty, but it isn't King.

ok, problem solved..label says "Fresh wild Copper River Sockeye Salmon fillet US"..I simply did not read it carefully enough..I am cooking it as we speak and I look forward to enjoying it...and I would have bought it anyway...I have been waiting for wild salmon...even Sockeye... :smile::smile:

King here is $40 a pound.

Honestly.

I guess I put this on the wrong thread earlier. Costco in Hackensack had gutted sections of whole Copper River sockeye salmon for $6.99 a pound today. My nearly two-pound section yielded six small steaks and a nice tail section. They cooked quicly in the oven and were terrifc, with sea salt, lemon juice, allspice and Aleppo pepper.