• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

in search of the perfect caramel pecan brownie

sugarseattle

I read thru the very long brownie post as much as I could take, but then got tired and decided to ask my own selfish question...

Has anybody ever perfected a technique for the perfect caramel brownie? What I'm looking for is a brownie that is marbled with distinct areas of caramel. I've tried several times and failed. Usually, the caramel just sinks to the bottom. I've resorted to putting the caramel and nuts on top after baking, but then you lose that wonderful top crunchy brownie goodness. Ideas?

Edited by sugarseattle (log)

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

You won't believe the source but it has an idea that might be worth trying. It from a Pillsbury desserts recipe book. They have a fudgy caramel cake using a cakemix of course but made with less liquid. The filling is made of sweetened condensed milk and caramels. Half the batter goes in the pan and is baked for 20 minutes. The caramel is poured on and then topped with the remaining batter and baked for another 20 minutes. The caramel isn't even in a cross-section so it doesn't look like they smoothed out the bottom layer before baking which gives it a bit of a ripple effect. I will try to type out the ingredients this evening. I know you're looking for a brownie but you may be able to adapt this.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I read thru the very long brownie post as much as I could take, but then got tired and decided to ask my own selfish question...

Has anybody ever perfected a technique for the perfect caramel brownie? What I'm looking for is a brownie that is marbled with distinct areas of caramel. I've tried several times and failed. Usually, the caramel just sinks to the bottom. I've resorted to putting the caramel and nuts on top after baking, but then you lose that wonderful top crunchy brownie goodness. Ideas?

Check these out:

Caramel Ripple Brownies

http://landcrofthouse.blogspot.com/2007/04...e-brownies.html

If you need to convert from Metric to US, here's a converter:

http://www.recipezaar.com/library/calc.zsp

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Here's a link to the recipe http://www.thatsmyhome.com/chocolate/caramel-fudge-cake.htm. Caramel In-Between Fudge Cake. Hope this idea helps.

edited to add: I just noticed the method is not the same as in the Pillsbury book. It definitely says to spread half the batter in the pan and bake 20 minutes. Spread filling over partially baked cake and cover with remaining batter. Bake 20 - 25 minutes longer or until toothpick comes out clean.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Fran Bigelow has a recipe for gold bar brownies in her book Pure Chocolate that she describes as "an over-the-top chocolate brownie shot through with gooey caramel and almonds". I've not made them, nor seen them at her shop, but don't we all genuflect in her general direction where it regards chocolate?