• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking an Entire Cookbook

kutsu

Rowdy,

Congratulations!!

That is an amazing accomplishment. Your pics are terrific and I just wish I could tastw through the computer.

I got the cookbook last year for Christmas and have only cooked a few things so far. You have inspired me to cook more of the recipes (and soon).

Thanks a ton shellfishfiend.

Definitely do more recipes. I love the book.

Cheers

Edited by ROWDY (log)

I love the www.frenchlaundryathome.com

That woman's got chops, a sense of humor and I like the wine and music accompaniments.

I've been reading that blog too, and really enjoy it. I believe that the blogger in question posts here from time to time. Maybe that person can be persuaded to join this thread?

Love to hear more about that.

Kudos to Rowdy on cooking Les Halles, your friends must be very lucky!

Pamela Fanstill aka "PamelaF"

Rowdy, holy shit, that F'n rocks.

I have to say that, much like Fat Guy, I do not often cook from the many (too many according to my wife) cookbooks I have but instead use them for inspiration and entertainment. That being said, I have actually followed several of the recipes in the Les Halles book and they were delicious.

What you have accomplished is remarkable for anyone, much less a guy that by his own admission is not a chef or cook - though now I would beg to differ.

You have certainly earned respect in a culinary sense. Bourdain would be proud.

Rowdy, holy shit, that F'n rocks.

I have to say that, much like Fat Guy, I do not often cook from the many (too many according to my wife) cookbooks I have but instead use them for inspiration and entertainment. That being said, I have actually followed several of the recipes in the Les Halles book and they were delicious.

What you have accomplished is remarkable for anyone, much less a guy that by his own admission is not a chef or cook - though now I would beg to differ.

You have certainly earned respect in a culinary sense. Bourdain would be proud.

Thanks all you guys/gals!

I laughed out loud when I read syoung68's first line. I also thought the bit about struggling through a crappy cookbook was funny. Good stuff.

Cheers

Hey y'all..... DinerGirl of FrenchLaundryAtHome here.

Thanks for the kind words about the blog! I love doing it and am nearly halfway through. I originally planned to take two years to do it, but I think I'll be done in 16-18 months.

Off to do the blueberry soup and cauliflower panacotta!

Hey y'all..... DinerGirl of FrenchLaundryAtHome here.

Thanks for the kind words about the blog!  I love doing it and am nearly halfway through.  I originally planned to take two years to do it, but I think I'll be done in 16-18 months. 

Off to do the blueberry soup and cauliflower panacotta!

I absolutely love the blog, Diner Girl! I've made a few of the dishes from the FL cookbook here and there, but nothing on the level with what you are doing. Your dedication to this project is awesome. You deserve a big pat on the back - keep up the good work and witty banter.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the blog of someone who cooked her way, in order (such discipline), through Maida Heatter's first cookie book, which is a very good book: http://mondayswithmaida.blogspot.com/2004/...da-archive.html

I pretty much, although not as a task, cooked my way through Diana Kennedy's first book, The Cuisines of Mexico, when it came out, through Lenotre's baking book, and through Marcia Adams's Cooking from Quilt Country, which is the food I grew up on. Also have made pretty much everything in Marcella Hazan's first two books, and Madeline Kamman's The Way to Cook. A friend of mine and I have been talking about cooking through Sherry Yard's baking book, in order, but so far we havn't gotten past the first chapter! Little Compton Mornings

Edited by janeer (log)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've thought many times about cooking my way through Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen and Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Tastes. Louisiana Kitchen was the first cookbook that I owned, and it really inspired me to learn about cooking things more complicated than the recipes mom made for us growing up.

That said, I think right now I'll actually order the Cradle of Flavor book and play along with the rest of you. :biggrin:

Here is the blog of someone who cooked her way, in order (such discipline), through Maida Heatter's first cookie book, which is a very good book: http://mondayswithmaida.blogspot.com/2004/...da-archive.html

This is a cool blog; I think she is scheduled fo finish all the recipe in a few months. Here is an eGullet thread in which members have added their own comments on favorite cookies from the Maida Heatter book... click

You're cooking thru cookbooks past is pretty impressive too!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 2 months later...

I just started up my own "cook the book" blog after reading French Laundry At Home for the past few months. I'm going to try to cook all of the recipes from Fergus Henderson's "The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating".

http://www.nosetotailathome.com

I've already got a vendor for lamb's brain!

EDIT: ROWDY, your website is amazing! Mucho respect, Mr. Bourdain is an idol of mine, and you really did his recipes justice.

Edited by Misplaced_Texan (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Well i got Heston Blumenthal's In further search of perfection today, very much enjoyed the series, so I'm keen to have a crack at cooking this entire book. I'll post more soon if i go ahead. Cracking book btw, if anyone is looking for presents.