• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Restaurant technology

Toliver

I saw the report this morning on NBC's "The Today Show". Bill Gates himself demo'd the new technology.

"Microsoft unveils revolutionary device"

Most of the eGullet-pertinent information is in the video of the story (I apologize to those with dial-up connections).

Bill Gates showed how at a restaurant, the customer could use the tabletop interface to drag and drop menu items to place their order. Then when it's time to pay your bill, you lay your credit card on the tabletop and choose how much of a tip you want to give and it's paid. The other party at the table can pay for their meal in the same way. No more worying about how to split up the check.

Of course, I can think of a million and one ways this new technology could really screw up the kitchen and staff (just seat my mom at the table and let her try to use it :laugh: ). And what about special orders? How flexible is it?

On the plus side, at least it'd get rid of laundry costs for cleaning tablecloths.

So is this something to look forward to...or no, thanks?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Here's a take on it by david Pogue in today's NYT. He says that it is pretty cool, but foresees a chicken and egg situation hindering its adoption as it is coolest with associated technologies such as cell phones and camera, but these likely won't be produced to any degree until there is a critical mass of these computers out and about. As for food related applications he describes these:

Restaurant. You pull up on-screen, virtual menus on all four edges of the table at once — because four of you are eating out together — and order your meal by tapping what you want. While you wait for the food, you can each play your own video game, or open up four different Web browsers. And then, after dinner, you can call up your bill, split it four ways, and pay, all electronically.

Virtual Concierge. You walk into a hotel. You see a virtual model of, say, New York City; look up a restaurant; see what it looks like; and drag the restaurant’s address and phone number into your phone, where it shows up as a text message.

Just what we need - a group of people dining out together and each playing their own video games! :raz:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Wow, video games? A web browser?

Here I thought cell phones at restaurants were obnoxious. Imagine spending a date with some ass playing flash games, looking up stock quotes, or reading World of Warcraft forums, the duration of the meal.

Do we really need the interweb at our dinner table?

I strongly agree that we don't need the interweb at the table..... but only at restaurants where the food is cooked with attention, care, love whatever.

I think this sort of technology could be a boon to fast food or more importantly, "faster food" restaurants. Places where the level of quality hasn't reduced to corporate everything pre-packaged/cooked, but where waiters aren't a regularity. A "sit down" experience that's provided by these machines and a minimum addition of service seems like a possible business opportunity.