• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Healdsburg/Yountville

Foodie-Girl

While not highly touted on the forums i was at Brix in Yountville about two weeks ago and thought it was lovely, especially the back patio and grassy area, just a beautiful setting. I was there for a wedding rehersal dinner so we didn't get individual food ordering but some things I saw looked good.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

While not highly touted on the forums i was at Brix in Yountville about two weeks ago and thought it was lovely, especially the back patio and grassy area, just a beautiful setting.  I was there for a wedding rehersal dinner so we didn't get individual food ordering but some things I saw looked good.

I agree with you on Brix Restaurant,

The Patio dining, in the garden during the warmer weather is hard to beat.

The food and wine list is very good, no problem with service.

It's my first choice in Napa Valley, when I am showing visiting guest.

Everyone likes great food, service, and atmosphere - different people find different food 'great'. Aside from the kitschy gift shop, Brix has a comfortable atmosphere, the service is competent but to my taste the food isn't good. People clearly like the place since they're full all the time, but that may be the stream of cars that drunkenly leave the Sattui parking lot and swerve their way down to Brix (and Mustards).

yeah i agree brix is ok eaten there several times,,,, and each time i do, i wonder to myself why is it that i came back here??? its not bad but but there are better options. has anyone mentioned terra restaurant? ive always been happy w hiros food, if you want a great place to eat outside you cant beat travigna they have one of the best patios in nor cal, the food is simple but tastes good, also for simple fare the mendicino brewing company has that brewpub place in hopland, foods good, the beer is even better, they have a nice tour set up at the brewery, in case you get tired of the wine thing

yeah i agree brix is ok eaten there several times,,,, and each time i do, i wonder to myself why is it that i came back here??? its not bad but but there are better options. has anyone mentioned terra restaurant? ive always been happy w hiros food, if you want a great place to eat outside you cant beat travigna they have one of the best patios in nor cal, the food is simple but tastes good, also for simple fare the mendicino brewing company has that brewpub place in hopland, foods good, the beer is even better, they have a nice tour set up at the brewery, in case you get tired of the wine thing

Our focus these days is definitely geared more toward light-eating during the day and saving our calories for dinner. In our younger days we did lots of wine-tasting during the day but, somehow we don't burn-up the calories the way we used to....LOL

Terra and Tra Vigne are both on the short-list for this trip. We've been to both many times in past years and I remember Terra being especially good.

not sure if anyone has mentioned Cook or Cindy's Back Street Kitchen in St Helena for light lunches... casual and good food.

also, martini house is open for lunch fri - sun and has a great kobe beef buger.

Edited by dvs (log)

not sure if anyone has mentioned Cook or Cindy's Back Street Kitchen in St Helena for light lunches... casual and good food.

also, martini house is open for lunch fri - sun and has a great kobe beef buger.

Thanks, dvs. I do have Cindy's Back Street on the 'lunch list' as well as Martini House.

Is COOK also in St. Helena?

Thanks, Swicks.

Gee, suddenly an 11-night trip seems barely enough.....LOL

You'll seriously get tired of eating this way for 11 days strait... Living in Napa for four years, I got so tired of the ubiquitous Sonoma Valley Duck Breast with [insert fruit of choice] and reduced [insert wine of choice] glaze, and wilted [insert greens of choice] and [insert carb of choice].

You'll start having great meals of simple cheese, bread, and wine (maybe a sausage or cut meat) and craving something ethnic...

Thanks, dvs. I do have Cindy's Back Street on the 'lunch list' as well as Martini House.

Cooks, is on main st St Helena,

Very tight seating small restaurant and with good italian style food.

Jude is the hard working chef owner, and is on hand cooking in the open kitchen.

The chef has worked in the valley for a number of years, (as a sous chef),

including with Chiarello. A great late hangout for restaurant people getting off their shifts.

Brix is a very busy restaurant, cranking out big numbers. Second to Rutherford Grill. I do understand why some people are not fans, but I,ve never had a bad meal(but,not insperational) and the patio dining draws me back.

I must admit, I do like Sattui as well. Can't beat a picnic.

Thanks, Swicks.

Gee, suddenly an 11-night trip seems barely enough.....LOL

You'll seriously get tired of eating this way for 11 days strait... Living in Napa for four years, I got so tired of the ubiquitous Sonoma Valley Duck Breast with [insert fruit of choice] and reduced [insert wine of choice] glaze, and wilted [insert greens of choice] and [insert carb of choice].

You'll start having great meals of simple cheese, bread, and wine (maybe a sausage or cut meat) and craving something ethnic...

Carolyn,

I couldn't agree with you more. On my own I've been looking for a few casual places...maybe Mexican, Thai...spaghetti and meatballs, etc.

Your prediction came through on my Big Birthday Trip to NY 8 years ago where we ended up cancelling the last 4 nights of high-end dinners. Too much of a good thing and it's hard to sit down and face those Tasting Menus...LOL.

Thanks for your comments..!

Cooks, is on main st St Helena,

Very tight seating small restaurant and with good italian style food.

Jude is the hard working chef owner, and is on hand cooking in the open kitchen.

The chef has worked in the valley for a number of years, (as a sous chef),

including with Chiarello. A great late hangout for restaurant people getting off their shifts.

Brix is a very busy restaurant, cranking out big numbers. Second to Rutherford Grill. I do understand why some people are not fans, but I,ve never had a bad meal(but,not insperational) and the patio dining draws me back.

I must admit, I do like Sattui as well. Can't beat a picnic.

We've decided to skip most lunches on this trip though we used to go to a fantastic winery (now I'm going back about 20 years) where we had to make reservations for a "place" months in advance. My most distinct memory is of the geese pecking away at us...LOL.

Cook sounds great. I'm not so sure about Brix. I do love eating outdoors. We'll see how the weather is (last week Sept for 12 days). I'm kinda cranky on outdoor dining when people start turning on the heaters the minute the temperature drops below 75...LOL. For me it's like dining under a broiler...... :angry:

Cook sounds great.  I'm not so sure about Brix.  I do love eating outdoors.  We'll see how the weather is (last week Sept for 12 days).  I'm kinda cranky on outdoor dining when people start turning on the heaters the minute the temperature drops below 75...LOL.  For me it's like dining under a broiler...... :angry:

If memory serves, the last week in September will hardly be a call for heaters -- if anything, it might be too hot to sit outside, even in the evening; you'll prefer to be inside where there are air-conditioners.

Cook sounds great.  I'm not so sure about Brix.  I do love eating outdoors.  We'll see how the weather is (last week Sept for 12 days).  I'm kinda cranky on outdoor dining when people start turning on the heaters the minute the temperature drops below 75...LOL.   For me it's like dining under a broiler...... :angry:

If memory serves, the last week in September will hardly be a call for heaters -- if anything, it might be too hot to sit outside, even in the evening; you'll prefer to be inside where there are air-conditioners.

Yes, I think you're right.

• 4 months later...
We're celebrating my birthday this year by spending several nights in Healdsburg before heading to Yountville.  I haven't been there in many years and could use come current restaurant opinions.

This is what I've come up with so far:  Wadda ya think?

Cyrus

Manzanita

Bistro  Ralph

Madrona Manor (stayed there years ago/don't remember the food)

Dry Creek Kitchen

Zin Restaurant

For Yountville stay:

Bistro Jeanty

Redd

Ad Hoc

???

If there is already a link with info. please let me know.  THANKS !!

I went to Bistro Jeanty last night. My only two complaints are (1) the meals took forever to come to the table (at least 1 hour) and when they did, (2) my escargot was still frozen. Other than that the place is very cute and my steak tartare was excellent.

I almost went to Tom Keller's Ad Hoc, but didn't feel like waiting. For a Monday night it was packed. I tried doing a search but Egullet's sophisticated search engine doesn't allow me to search the name (i.e., One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters or you are searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc. Please go back and increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords."). I wish I would have waited and ate fried chicken for $45. I'm sure it would have been exceptional.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

:D

• 1 year later...