• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Healdsburg/Yountville

Foodie-Girl

We're celebrating my birthday this year by spending several nights in Healdsburg before heading to Yountville. I haven't been there in many years and could use come current restaurant opinions.

This is what I've come up with so far: Wadda ya think?

Cyrus

Manzanita

Bistro Ralph

Madrona Manor (stayed there years ago/don't remember the food)

Dry Creek Kitchen

Zin Restaurant

For Yountville stay:

Bistro Jeanty

Redd

Ad Hoc

???

If there is already a link with info. please let me know. THANKS !!

Edited by Foodie-Girl (log)

Hi, we were in the area this past March and had an amazing lunch at REDD in Yountville. We also very much enjoyed Ad Hoc in Yountville and Cyrus in Healdsburg. I have some photos of these meals in my albums on this site. Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen in St. Helena was also good for lunch, it is a more casual setting than REDD. Enjoy! :)

I'm a dissenter on Dry Creek Kitchen having a disastrous meal there about 18 months ago (courses arrived and having to ask for silverware; wines being poured but the server not having a clue what was being poured; courses being served with the wine pairing showing up as we were finishing the course...)

In Healdsburg - and on the square specifically - my two favorite restaurants for evening are Barn Diva and Manzanita. But I heartily recommend Bovola for lunch. Barn Diva is a few doors away from Selby Winery, probably my favorite wine producer in the area.

Wow, you folks rock as far as solid info!!! I'm a former native-Californian, now living near Seattle and decided to celebrate my birthday 'back home' this year.

All of your comments so far are extremely helpful. Carolyn, sad to hear your comment as we're staying at the Healdsburg Hotel and, well, talk about convenient..LOL.

I wasn't sure about Barn Diva and Manzanita so thanks for helping me get enthused on those two.

Looking forward to more comments on Yountville (and very nearby) as we're now spending 6 nights there. THANKS!!!!

Edited by Foodie-Girl (log)

I went on my California culinary pilgrimage recently (end of April), and ate at Cyrus and Redd. I posted my report (with photos) on that thread.

No French Laundry? If you feel like shopping, you can drive up to St. Helena and buy a few things over at Dean and Deluca.

Have a "Happy Birthday" vacation, Foodie-Girl!

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I went on my California culinary pilgrimage recently (end of April), and ate at Cyrus and Redd. I posted my report (with photos) on that thread.

No French Laundry? If you feel like shopping, you can drive up to St. Helena and buy a few things over at Dean and Deluca.

RJ, can you give me the links to the Redd and Cyrus threads?

I have been fortunate to have dined at French Laundry twice in past years. Fabulous experiences.

i'd like to second (third? fourth!) the recommendation for Farmhouse Inn. Charming place and the chef, steve litke, is really top-notch. i'd put the style somewhere between TFL and CP--much more emphasis on pure ingredient than the first and much more emphasis on technique than the second. also a very nice wine list.

RJ, can you give me the links to the Redd and Cyrus threads?

I have been fortunate to have dined at French Laundry twice in past years. Fabulous experiences.

Redd iswww.reddnapavalley.com and Cyrus is www.cyrusrestaurant.com.

(Sorry to jump in, Russell).

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

i'd like to second (third? fourth!) the recommendation for Farmhouse Inn. Charming place and the chef, steve litke, is really top-notch. i'd put the style somewhere between TFL and CP--much more emphasis on pure ingredient than the first and much more emphasis on technique than the second. also a very nice wine list.

It does sound great. Can you give me an idea of driving time from Healdsburg? We are geezers and after a lot of wine rather not challenge our road-worthiness...LOL

Looking forward to more comments on Yountville (and very nearby) as we're now spending 6 nights there.  THANKS!!!!

Here are some recs for Yountville and environs, going south in Napa to north in St. Helena:

1) Pilar

2) Celadon

3) Bistro Don Giovanni. Be warned...it can be VERY loud and VERY touristy, but the food is quite good. Maybe a lunch?

In Yountville

You've already covered Redd, Ad Hoc and Bistro Jeanty (all of which are recommended), so here are a few more:

4) Bouchon

5) Napa Valley Grille

North of Yountville:

6) Mustards Grill

7) Auberge Du Soleil. If you don't want to do the fine dining scene here, the bar has a great menu and a KILLER view of the valley!

8) Tra Vigne. If you'd asked me 6 months ago, I would not have recommended this, as it was changing chefs nearly every other week. We have recently had three VERY good meals there, so I'd suggest giving it a try.

9) Cook in St. Helena. Very small (no website), mostly locals place on the Main St. in a converted drug store, complete with the old counter and seats! Great food from Chef Jude Wilmoth.

10) Martini House. (even if you don't dine there, check out the basement bar!)

11) Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen

12) Go Fish. This, Cindy's Backstreet and Mustards are all owned and operated by Chef Cindy Pawlcyn.

13) Terra. I have not eaten there since Hiro and Lissa opened Ame in the City. I have heard the quality might have slipped a bit, but I can't say from personal experience.

There are a few places further north in Calistoga, the most notable of which is Brannan's Grill. There isn't too much else worth going to in Calistoga right now, IMHO.

Edited by samgiovese (log)

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

It does sound great. Can you give me an idea of driving time from Healdsburg? We are geezers and after a lot of wine rather not challenge our road-worthiness...LOL

I just returned from a similar trip and dined at Farmhouse Inn after reading Russ' recommendation. Had a fabulous meal. Definitely second the comment about the wine list and would add that the sommelier was terrific. Very enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Seemed to really enjoy talking about wine and as a result, so did we. Make the whole process fun (not to mention scoring some really great wine matches).

I would say drive time from Healdsburg is about 30 min give or take.

(Edited to fix premature post-age.)

Edited by RichieRich (log)

Bistro Ralph is a fun lunch spot while in Healdsburg.  Don't miss the lamb burger.  I also very much enjoyed dinner at The Farmhouse Inn, located a few miles up the road in Forestville.

Mmmmmmmmm, Lamb Burger..got it! Thanks!

Ravenette Restaurant, Healdsburg

A very small restaurant, related to Ravenious Restaurant.

I am going again tomorrow night.

They are only open 4 nights a week, with no reservations. One chef and one waiter,and catering to a loyal local group, that dine there regularly.

Not very well known and that's the way they like it.

Although the chef can get bunched up during the peak time, the food is always spot on, and reasonable, but you may wait for the food at times.

Nobody seems to mind.

You will not be disappointed.

They are only open 4 nights a week, with no reservations. One chef and one waiter,and catering to a loyal local group, that dine there regularly.

Although the chef can get bunched up during the peak time, the food is always spot on, and reasonable, but you may wait for the food at times.

Nobody seems to mind.

I found out, they are only open Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.

Nobody seems to mind.

I found out, they are only open Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the type of place we'd like to try.

I can confidently recommend the pork belly at REDD. It hit the spot last week. I like to vote with some dollars in Richard's direction.

Consensus is very positive about ad hoc.

Skip Napa Valley Grill.

Etoile at Chandon was nothing short of outstanding in terms of food and service a couple months ago. Ask Mateo for Suzanne serve you; she's been there for over 20 years! Disclosure: my wife worked there when we ate there.

The terrace at Auberge is one of the most romantic spots in the Valley.

Try calling Pride Mountain Vineyards and picnic at their summit tables: charcuterie from the Fatted Calf with some newly released Pride wines are a great match. Get the charcuterie at the Copia farmers market on Tuesday AM. You might even be able to track down some decent bread...

Sonoma: lots of good reports about Mirepoix in Windsor...can't vouch.

Skip Napa Valley Grill.

Don't you like their kobe burgers?

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Don,t overlook the Healdsburg farmers market on tuesdays. Great Street food and Jazz.

Windsor has a great one as well on thursdays evenings, Good tri- tip, Thai and some awesome corndogs.

I am adding all the comments to my notes. So many great suggestions! Definite on a Farmer's Market...kobe burgers and port belly.

Spending most of my life in CA I have been to Auberge many times as well as Etoile. So many great memories.

I'm excited to try the many 'new to me' places that I'm learning about.

I forgot one of our favorite casual places. Fume Bistro on the north end of Napa right on Hwy 29 is consistently good.

Enjoy!

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter