• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavored Ganaches (Fruit, herb, spice, etc)

lovkel

I really like using the ganache cutters.

I am wondering, what do you do with the leftovers after cutting?.

Since it has the thin layer of chocolate on it, I don't know what to do.

I have a bunch of the "scraps" carefully frozen for when I figure this out.

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

I make bark with scraps and maybe some cookie bits.

I used yours basically. I couldn't "stream" the chocolate into the butter and so I ended up with a mess. SO I added some more butter, some more chocolate and then wine and then some more wine. I had to use my emulsifier in the end and it worked like magic. So it went like this in the end:

about 90-100 g butter

100 g wine

270 g chocolate (Araguani 72%)

I added more wine because I wanted a slightly stronger wine flavour. The chocolate does hide it a bit. All in all I really liked the outcome and so did those dear to me.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome- always looking to improve, rethink and learn!!

Thanks!! :smile:

Edited by Lior (log)

I used yours basically. I couldn't  "stream" the chocolate into the butter and so I ended up with a mess. SO I added some more butter, some more chocolate and then wine and then  some more wine. I had to use my emulsifier in the end and it worked like magic. So it went like this in the end:

about 90-100 g butter

100 g wine

270 g chocolate (Araguani 72%)

I added more wine because I wanted a slightly stronger wine flavour. The chocolate does hide it a bit. All in all I really liked the outcome and so did those dear to me.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome- always looking to improve, rethink and learn!!

Thanks!! :smile:

oh, so you didn't see the method on recipegullet? it's really simple to melt the chocolate with the liquid (wine) and then just incorporate the solid butter as fast as it will emulsify. i haven't done it with that low a proportion of chocolate to liquid, but i think it would work, especially if you add the chocolate a bit at a time as it melts.

did you find that the wine flavor held up well enough?

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

I think so. I don't like a slap in the face- "dah of course this is wine" :wink: taste!! Neither do I like "Oh really? this has wine it? Hmmm" So I guess I was at where I attained to be!! And I missed those recipe instructions!! That probably explains the "mass" at the beginning! But the emulsifier subdued the mass into velvet!!

Now I will have to try the other method!!!

I also freeze the leftovers, and when you have enough, just warm up and you can make another batch.

Luis

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

You can make JP Wybauw's "kitchen sink" caramel.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

"Kitchen Sink" caramel sounds great John.

Where do I find  the method?

Took a bit of searching but I found it: Wybauw's 'Black Devils'

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Any ideas?

JPW was asked that very question in class. He responded that he just rolls it out again. When asked about the chocolate bits he smiled and said they were an extra bonus.

• 1 month later...

I'm planning to make a Port chocolate for Valentine's Day. It's stronger in flavor and higher in alcohol than table wine, so I'm wondering if I should make a butter ganache like we're discussing here, or go with a recipe more like a liquor flavored cream ganache. Thoughts?

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I'm planning to make a Port chocolate for Valentine's Day. It's stronger in flavor and higher in alcohol than table wine, so I'm wondering if I should make a butter ganache like we're discussing here, or go with a recipe more like a liquor flavored cream ganache. Thoughts?

Tough decision - you get such a different effect in each case. In the cream ganache the port will give the ganache a richness that is not necessarily identifiable as port - in the butter ganache it will likely be more identifiable. I'd probably made a small batch of each and see which you like the best.

• 1 month later...
I would use the cream. It turns out better in my opinion, but still not perfect. Wine ganaches are very difficult, and I've only seen it pulled off by one company.

Luis

I'm about to begin experimenting with wine ganache. Can you tell me which company 'pulled it off' in your opinion Luis? I'd like to try it to see what I'm aiming for!

Thanks.

I would use the cream. It turns out better in my opinion, but still not perfect. Wine ganaches are very difficult, and I've only seen it pulled off by one company.

Luis

I'm about to begin experimenting with wine ganache. Can you tell me which company 'pulled it off' in your opinion Luis? I'd like to try it to see what I'm aiming for!

Thanks.

Sure,

Of course, I haven't tried everything out there but the company that pulled it off is xox truffles in san francisco. Everything else i've tasted including ones I've made don't taste right.

Luis

Thanks Luis and Ilana. I'm going to try some wine ganache today and was planning to add some of my dark milk (41%). I'm going to follow pretty closely to Wybauw's recipe in Fine Chocolate 2 pg. 79 without the spices and adding 200g. dark chocolate instead of the cocoa butter as I want to slab. I'm going to try it with reduced and non-reduced Merlot. I'll also try a dark only recipe - again with reduced and non-reduced. I made sure to get a fruity Merlot low in tannins. I believe it's the tannins that fight with the chocolate. The wine reduction itself still tastes good although stronger. I kept it below 180F while reducing.

Luis, I also contacted XOX truffles as I didn't see the wine truffle on their website. Was it dark, milk or white? I've heard good things about those guys. I think I'll order some to try...