• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavored Ganaches (Fruit, herb, spice, etc)

lovkel

In his choclate tartlets recipe in the chocolate desserts book, Pierre Herme adds passionfruit juice to the ganache after melting the chocolate by pouring over the hot cream (the passion fruit juice is also brough to a boil). since passionfruit juice is also acidic I guess you can follow the same process.

I'll give it a try tonight... will use a not that good chocolate in case it won't work.

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

filipe,

heat the cream up before adding the juice...if you add it right away you're likely to curdle the cream.  since the juice is bottled, it has probably been pasteurized so you won't have to heat the juice.

Just did it :)

I've started with 200ml cream, boiling with some lemon zest. Took the zest out and add to 200g chocolate.

Then more 200ml cream. Took your advice and add the yuzu juice only when the cream was already boiling - 2 tablespoons.

Mixed the previously made ganache with the 2nd pan of cream+yuzu and got a lighter ganache.

It's still half-cold, but the flavour is VERY NICE. It brought out the best of the yuzu and you can't find any lemon flavour in it.

Let's see how it tastes after cooling :)

Filipe A S

Here's the results :

gallery_40488_2237_12999.jpg

gallery_40488_2237_3177.jpg

I've made two cakes using almost the same base - a lemon sponge and a cocoa genoise.

Assembling (1st one)

Lemon sponge

Pierre Herme's Dark Chocolate Mousse

Cocao genoise

Chocolate Mousse

Lemon flavoured italian meringue

Yuzu-Chocolate ganache

Assembling (2nd one)

Cocoa Genoise

Pierre Herme's Chocolate Whiped Cream

Lemon Sponge

Chocolate Whiped Cream

Yuzu-Chocolate ganache

Filipe A S

• 2 months later...

hola! i want to play around with a mimosa ganache for some molded white chocolates i hope to make, so does anyone have a recipe for the ganache that they like to use for a chocolate filling?

thanks in advance!

Pastry PRincess

a day without love, laughter or dessert is a day wasted.

That flavor sounds delicious. I love anything orange. My local cake supplier sells champagne extract that is extremely tasty on its own. I can only imagine after working the mojo and mixing it with orange zest and/or orange flavorings, maybe even some candied orange zests, beaten with white chocolate ganache. Sign me up!

My local cake supplier sells champagne extract that is extremely tasty on its own.

Could you tell us the brand name of the champagne extract? This sounds like something I'd like to try, too. Great idea, chefmoni!

that's exactly what i was thinking, but not with the extract....but i'm not sure how much of everything to add. i guess i'll just experiment unless anyone has made this before!

here's my ingredient list:

white chocolate

heavy cream

sugar

trimoline

orange juice (fresh squeeze)

orange zest

vanilla

salt

champagne

and the candied zest on top of the chocolate for decoration

Pastry PRincess

A basic white chocolate ganache for centres that I have used is

500 grams White chocolate

150 grams heavy cream

50 grams butter

10 grams glucose

75 grams champagne

Too soft to make truffles, but appropriate for piping. These proportions might help with your initial experiments.

that's exactly what i was thinking, but not with the extract....but i'm not sure how much of everything to add.  i guess i'll just experiment unless anyone has made this before!

white chocolate

heavy cream

sugar

trimoline

orange zest

vanilla

salt

champagne

Well one of my favorite Italian meringue buttercreams calls for roughly 1/4 cup of liquor for every 7 cups. Buttercream is less dense, so you might get away with adding a bit more, but start with this as a base.

I am not sure how much of the champaign flavor will shine through in a ganache, especially one with medium tone flavors such as vanilla (extract and ganache) and orange which is why you might want to rethink the concentrated champagne extract. Good luck, have fun and please post your results.

Back to the champagne bit again. Here is another idea to get a more concentrated/pronounced champagne taste. Boil down a split of champagne until syrupy. This is great for finishing sauces and particularly seafood as well. Keeps in the freezer.

I just love brainstorming, lol.

Could you tell us the brand name of the champagne extract?  This sounds like something I'd like to try, too.  Great idea, chefmoni!

I get mine locally and as many cake decorating supply stores do, they repackage and put their own label on it, usually because they buy in bulk. You can probably google it and find an online retailer that carries it or check your local decorating stores.

that's exactly what i was thinking, but not with the extract....but i'm not sure how much of everything to add.  i guess i'll just experiment unless anyone has made this before!

white chocolate

heavy cream

sugar

trimoline

orange zest

vanilla

salt

champagne

I think that I'd be inclined to reduce the orange juice and sugar to a thick syrup before adding to the ganache; otherwise, you may have too much liquid.

Please let us know what you decide and how it turns out!

Good luck.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

On my taste I would omit the vanilla and the sugar, the white chocolate is already sweet enough and the trimoline is going to add sweetness ( thats on my taste of course :raz: )

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa

white chocolate

heavy cream

sugar

trimoline

orange zest

vanilla

salt

champagne

I think that I'd be inclined to reduce the orange juice and sugar to a thick syrup before adding to the ganache; otherwise, you may have too much liquid.

Good luck.

OH GREAT! that's definitely an idea to tinker with. i took a look at your website, and what proportion of champange do you use in your champange chocolates recipe? do you also use champagne extract or just champage?

Pastry PRincess

On my taste I would omit the vanilla and the sugar, the white chocolate is already sweet enough and the trimoline is going to add sweetness ( thats on my taste of course  :raz: )

haha thanks for the suggestions! definitely don't want something sickly sweet....

Pastry PRincess

You might want to use frozen orange juice concentrate to reduce the amount of liquid required.

Even if I didn't boil down the champagne I would probably add some of the champagne extract as well to punch up the flavour.

I also think this will be sweet enough without any additional sugar, given the white chocolate base.

white chocolate

heavy cream

sugar

trimoline

orange zest

vanilla

salt

champagne

Good luck.

OH GREAT! that's definitely an idea to tinker with. i took a look at your website, and what proportion of champange do you use in your champange chocolates recipe? do you also use champagne extract or just champage?

I haven't used the champagne extract - mainly because I haven't been able to find an all natural alternative. (If anyone knows of a source...)

I have made the Champagne bonbons two ways in the past: reducing the champagne quite a bit OR just using straight champagne. The two methods produce quite different results with the reduction, to my taste, a bit too bitter. Try the straight champagne method: I think it'll be more "bubbly" and festive which is what [i think] you're going for.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

thanks for all the helpful suggestions! i can't wait to dive into this and i'll keep you all posted on the results....

Pastry PRincess

Chocolatier magazine had a mimosa truffle recipe in 1995 or 1996, which I made several times back then and was always received well. A bit soft for a truffle, but you could always enrobe it or fill a moulded shell with it.

It was composed more or less of the ingredients the posts have been offering. I believe it was: heavy cream infused with orange zest, white chocolate, dash of champagne. I don't think there was much more, but it was a long time ago. The recipe called for rolling the truffle ball in a shortening/white chocolate mix, which along with the softness factor was why I stopped making it as often as the others in the article.

Good luck!

Brian Ibbotson

Pastry Sous for Production and Menu Research & Development

Sous Chef for Food Safety and Quality Assurance

I've noticed some people use invert sugars in their ganache. Is this for shelf life so sugars don't crystalize? I used to use trimoline in ice cream base. And glucose- for shine?

Hello to everyone and thanks in advance for the input.

Edited by ruthie jewell (log)