• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saw "texas griller" at the market today...

Malkavian

I've seen these guys pop up in the local supermarkets lately, hunks of fairly lean beef in the 2-5 pound range with a label that says 'texas griller' and nothing else; some are premarinated, some look as if they were cut by the meat department at the store. A bit of googling for the term on egullet and the 'net at large didn't turn up anything definitive, maybe i'm missing something? I was under the vague impression that it was like a double or triple thick NY strip, but I can't really back that up with anything but a foggy memory--the price these were at made me hesitant to think it was steak at least.

Any suggestions?

I'd bet it's skirt steak. And probably poorly cut at that.

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

I've been buying groceries in Texas for 24 years and I've never seen such a critter. Sound like the store is taking liberties...... :hmmm:

Stop Family Violence

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen this before and it was really quite good. Very good flavor. Saw it again today as western griller. Asked at the meat dept and was told that it was bottom round, cut sideways.