• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bake Wise by Shirley Corriher

iii_bake

I read in the newspaper years ago that Shirley Corriher ( Author of Cookwise) was working on her new book, bakewise. The paper said it was due out end of 2005.

This is mid 2008 now, anybody has the updates on this?

Is he still working on it? and when will it come out?

According to somebody on another board who talked to directly to Shirley last August, the book was supposed to have been out at the end of last year. :huh:

SB (will buy a copy :smile: )

the Baker and Taylor database we use to order materials (let's us see material in print, out of print and awaiting release) doesn't have it listed under title or author.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 5 months later...

Shirley spoke at our local college last night. I only knew her from good eats but now have her book and her DVD. Anyway she originally said she wouldnt come because she was already in trouble for being late on her book. She said she still has to write the final chapter, but it would be written by the end of the year and out next year. If you ever get the opportunity to meet or listen to her speak DO IT, she is a great personality and a wonderful teacher. I was quite impressed that they got her to speak at our 2 year college in Bismarck, ND. Anybody have suggestions from cookwise, I dont know where to start.

Miss Shirley got the secret to good biscuits from a Grandmother, I think. She was told that the liquid should be increased from the usual measure, to make a "wet mess" of the dough. I can see her floury hands now, pinching off pieces of that gooey dough, rolling them into roundness, and settling them close in a baking pan, so their proximity would make them rise up "good and high" instead of spreading across the bottom of the pan like cake batter.

Shirley spoke at our local college last night.  I only knew her from good eats but now have her book and her DVD.  Anyway she originally said she wouldnt come because she was already in trouble for being late on her book.  She said she still has to write the final chapter, but it would be written by the end of the year and out next year.  If you ever get the opportunity to meet or listen to her speak DO IT, she is a great personality and a wonderful teacher.  I was quite impressed that they got her to speak at our 2 year college in Bismarck, ND.  Anybody have suggestions from cookwise, I dont know where to start.

Try her biscuits. They are out of this world.

Try her biscuits.  They are out of this world.

I recently attended an intimate lecture/cooking demonstration with Shirley and her husband, Arch (what a pair!). Shirley made her famous biscuits, keeping the dough wet, using an ice cream scoop to get the size right, forming them by hand, and then putting them in a round cake pan. The biscuits are indeed tasty, but they're really not great. Their crumb is more cake-like than what biscuits should be, flaky with lots of layers and easy to split. The accomplished pastry chef sitting beside me agreed wholeheartedly that Shirley's biscuits are what you find in many restaurants today and are not good representations of proper biscuits.

So sayeth the biscuit snob!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Try her biscuits.  They are out of this world.

I recently attended an intimate lecture/cooking demonstration with Shirley and her husband, Arch (what a pair!). Shirley made her famous biscuits, keeping the dough wet, using an ice cream scoop to get the size right, forming them by hand, and then putting them in a round cake pan. The biscuits are indeed tasty, but they're really not great. Their crumb is more cake-like than what biscuits should be, flaky with lots of layers and easy to split. The accomplished pastry chef sitting beside me agreed wholeheartedly that Shirley's biscuits are what you find in many restaurants today and are not good representations of proper biscuits.

So sayeth the biscuit snob!

She informed us that Pilsbury? sells a frozen version, but not here in North Dakota, I wonder how they compare.

• 5 months later...