• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants Near Second City

Tallen234

I will be in Chicago for my first time in a few weeks. As part of the trip, we are going to second city. I am looking for a great restaurant to hit before the 10:00 p.m. show. Can you guys give me any advice?

Thanks

Not sure when you're visiting but Ambria, which is a fine recommendation on the high-end, is scheduled to close for reconcepting on June 30.

It's not a long cab ride from Boka to Second City. I'd like to try it out because they recently hired a new chef, Giuseppe Tentori, who was previously the chef de cuisine at Charlie Trotter's for the last 9 years.

Here's a blurb from the February 21 edition of Chicago Magazine's Dish:

Don’t Cry for Boka

Partners Kevin Boehm and Rob Katz, meanwhile, have landed another promising chef, trading one Giuseppe for another. Giuseppe Tentori, chef de cuisine at Charlie Trotter’s for nine years, will start as Boka's executive chef on March 5th. “It’ll be a brand-new menu, but still contemporary American. Chef Tentori has some interesting changes in store,” says Boehm. The Boka boys have been remodeling—new colors, new fabrics, new china, new chairs—but they’re most thrilled with landing Tentori. “He’s a star,” says Katz. “He was slated to be Charlie Trotter’s chef at the Time Warner Building in New York, but that never happened—and he was also offered a chef position at Michael Mina in San Francisco.” Ben Browning, chef de cuisine at Landmark from day one, has been promoted to exec chef there.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

My favorite place before Second City is an Italian trattoria just down Wells St. Great thin-crust Roman-style pizza, many other Roman options; it's been there at least 20 - 25 years.

Trattoria Roma

1535 N. Wells St., Chicago

Ok, I just booked a table at Boka. Can you get away with nice jeans and a button down shirt?

Thanks for the help

It's not a long cab ride from Boka to Second City

I ate there about three weeks ago. Superb.

It was quite good under the previous chef; even better now. Highly recommended.