• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The make-your-own vanilla extract experiment

Fat Guy

Tracy/thock - how is your experiment going? Do you find yourself favoring any one extraction over the others?

I must hang my head in shame. I got busy after I made that post, and only just today topped up the extractions with the larger amount of alcohol. AND, I forgot about the rum part.

However, I can tell you that I have some preliminary results. All of the 2013 Bourbon bean extractions started in Everclear had what appeared to be vanillin crystals mixed in with the beans. None of the 2009 Bourbon, or any of the Tahitian extractions had this. All the extractions started in Everclear clouded up immediately upon addition of 150 g of 80- to 82-proof vodka. None of the extractions started in vodka did. This tells me that Andie's technique of starting with a high-proof alcohol works a lot better at extracting the vanillin than starting with a lower-proof alcohol.

They all smelled heavenly, especially the four-fold extract. I topped that one off with 25 g of vodka, since it looked a little low.

I will uncork these in June, except the 2-year extraction, and see how they are. Since I have doubles of the Everclear/vodka extractions with each bean type or combination, I may keep half of them around for a long time.

My older extractions, started in 2012, are pretty good. We're using them in yogurt and in simple syrup for my partner. He uses the syrup in tea and coffee.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

Tracy/thock - how is your experiment going? Do you find yourself favoring any one extraction over the others?

I must hang my head in shame. I got busy after I made that post, and only just today topped up the extractions with the larger amount of alcohol. AND, I forgot about the rum part.

However, I can tell you that I have some preliminary results. All of the 2013 Bourbon bean extractions started in Everclear had what appeared to be vanillin crystals mixed in with the beans. None of the 2009 Bourbon, or any of the Tahitian extractions had this. All the extractions started in Everclear clouded up immediately upon addition of 150 g of 80- to 82-proof vodka. None of the extractions started in vodka did. This tells me that Andie's technique of starting with a high-proof alcohol works a lot better at extracting the vanillin than starting with a lower-proof alcohol.

They all smelled heavenly, especially the four-fold extract. I topped that one off with 25 g of vodka, since it looked a little low.

I will uncork these in June, except the 2-year extraction, and see how they are. Since I have doubles of the Everclear/vodka extractions with each bean type or combination, I may keep half of them around for a long time.

My older extractions, started in 2012, are pretty good. We're using them in yogurt and in simple syrup for my partner. He uses the syrup in tea and coffee.

I did have the crystals, or whatever they were, in the 2009 Bourbon beans, too. These only occurred in the Grade B Bourbon beans, and not in the Bourbon splits or the Tahitian beans.

The crystals were yellowish, or cream-colored. Here are some pictures. Now that I think about it, they might be oils extracted by the alcohol. I'll have to pick one out and squish it to see what it feels like.

vanilla stuff 1.JPG

vanilla stuff 2.JPG

vanilla stuff 3.JPG

vanilla stuff 4.JPG

Edited by thock (log)

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

Nice experiments! In mid 2012 I delivered a sailing yacht from South Africa to the Seychelles and stopped off at Nose Be, a small island on the NW coast of Madagascar. I asked a "dock rat" to find me the price of a few beans, as they are hellishly expensive in South Africa. The next morning he told me it would cost 4,500 Ariary for a small bag. I did not know what the exchange rate was but asked him to get me a small bag. That afternoon I had 2 kg of beans for the equivalent of US$ 2.00! Hundreds of the most incredible beans! I managed to smuggle them back home and made 4 litres of the most potent extract using cane spirit, a flavourless white rum made in South Africa. Used 30 split beans to a litre and filtered the extract through a paper filter to remove the seeds and other bits after 12 months. Where a recipe calls for 5 ml extract, I need to only use about 1.5 ml.

And luck was again with me last year when I was contracted to bring a sailing yacht from Seychelles to Cape Town. Another stop off at Nose Be resulted in another 2 kg of the best beans - inflation did have an impact on the second purchase as the price had skyrocketed to US$ 2.30.

Still got a few hundred beans in jars and extract coming out of my ears. The beans make wonderful Christmas gifts and so do small bottles of extract! It will be quite a few years before I run out.

John

• Like 2

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

I did have the crystals, or whatever they were, in the 2009 Bourbon beans, too. These only occurred in the Grade B Bourbon beans, and not in the Bourbon splits or the Tahitian beans.

The crystals were yellowish, or cream-colored. Here are some pictures. Now that I think about it, they might be oils extracted by the alcohol. I'll have to pick one out and squish it to see what it feels like.

attachicon.gifvanilla stuff 1.JPG

attachicon.gifvanilla stuff 2.JPG

attachicon.gifvanilla stuff 3.JPG

attachicon.gifvanilla stuff 4.JPG

I did pick one out of one of the jars and squished it. It smooshed rather easily, lending credence to the idea that it was fat, and not vanillin.

Interestingly, after a couple of hours, the extractions started with vodka were noticeably darker than the ones started with Everclear. Very noticeably. The Everclear ones were still cloudy, and the little yellow nodules were still intermixed with the beans and/or floating on the tops of the alcohols.

Also, I misspoke (-typed?) when I said that the 2012 extractions are in current use. I checked again, and they are the 2010 extractions to which I added new beans around the same time I started my experiment. It's worth noting that even at less than 100% FDA-approved concentrations, these extracts make for good flavoring of yogurt and simple syrup.

Last night, I dug the 2012 extractions out of the back of the cabinet and had my honey open them (because my hands are too small, and they'd formed a partial vacuum). They smelled wonderful, and are very dark. I'm going to keep them in the cabinet until we've used up the last of the 2010 extractions. I have no idea when that will be, but I will let you know when I dig them out.

Also, the 4-fold extraction is noticeably more "vanilla-y" than the single-fold extractions. I expected this. It's also significantly darker. I think I'm just going to keep topping it up with vodka as the alcohol evaporates.

I shoved half the Everclear/vodka extractions to the back of the cabinet with the 2012 extractions to await opening at an uncertain future time. The rest, along with the pure vodka extractions, will follow the original experimental plan as closely as I can manage. I will check on them next in June (if I remember-probably ought to set a reminder) and then not again until June 2015. At that point, I will decant/strain half of the Everclear/vodka and all of the all-vodka concoctions and run a blind taste test with at least me and my S.O. If I can manage it, I'll drag others into it, as well. I will also use some Kirkland vanilla extract and some Nielsen Massey (I think) extract and see if one wins out over the others. I will attempt to repeat this periodically, adding the over-2-years, the continuous-replenishment, and the 4-fold extracts to the mix.

Just out of curiosity, I'll probably try a secondary extraction on at least some of the bean bits, just to see what happens, after I've strained. The rest I'll just dry and put into a jar of sugar.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

The other thing I've done with spent beans is to dry them then grind them finely in my Sumeet and add some maltodextrin. I use this in chocolate bark.

The other thing I've done with spent beans is to dry them then grind them finely in my Sumeet and add some maltodextrin. I use this in chocolate bark.

Ooh, that sounds good! I think they still have a bit of flavor left to them, even after alcohol extraction, and it seems such a shame to waste vanilla flavor/smell.

I would love to get a poppy seed grinder, or something similar. I'm guessing a Sumeet is an electric wet spice grinder?

Edited by thock (log)
  • Like 1

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

Ooh, that sounds good! I think they still have a bit of flavor left to them, even after alcohol extraction, and it seems such a shame to waste vanilla flavor/smell.

I would love to get a poppy seed grinder, or something similar. I'm guessing a Sumeet is an electric wet spice grinder?

Yup - coffee grinder on steroids!

Just found this thread and am going to order some vanilla beans. Is everyone here using the grade B beans? The ebay site says you might need to use more grade A beans for vanilla extract (vs grade B) as grade A contains more moisture. I was going to buy grade A so I can use them for other things besides making an extract, but figured I check first here.

jcg

Just found this thread and am going to order some vanilla beans. Is everyone here using the grade B beans? The ebay site says you might need to use more grade A beans for vanilla extract (vs grade B) as grade A contains more moisture. I was going to buy grade A so I can use them for other things besides making an extract, but figured I check first here.

jcg

You can probably use the Grade B beans for things other than extract. The ones I've gotten have not been ugly, and the Bourbon variety, at least, are plenty oily/moist.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

I started some vanilla extract after reading this thread in 2010, but I am afraid to use it.  The reason is because I used canning jars, and when I checked on them last year the jars had apparently self sealed so that the popper thing in the middle was down as if it had been canned.  I also used one of the cheapest vodkas the ABC store had because I had already bought it before reading this thread. Is it safe to use?  I think I used 8 -12 beans in each pint jar. I did not sterilized the jars, I just washed them in super hot water.

Thanks in advance

I know this was posted a long time ago, but, cmo, I would like to let you know that ALL of the extracts I started in the post above yours, and the ones I started in 2012, were vacuumed a bit. I think this is an effect of temperature change and sealed alcohol, but I don't know for sure. There may be some ethanol evaporation over time, too, but I really don't know if oxygen and ethanol molecules are similarly sized.

I do know, though, that these jars were closed in June, when it was in excess of 80 degrees in the house, and I opened them in February, when it was in the high 60's to low 70's, so some gas contraction could have an effect.

This is all just to say that I don't think that what happened to your extracts was unusual, and they're probably safe to use.

Just found this, which talks about the latent heat of vaporization. Haven't read through the whole thing, yet, but it sounds like it might explain the phenomenon.

ETA link.

Edited by thock (log)
  • Like 1

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

I decided to go with the grade A as their website says you can use them for making extract and they are better for cooking. I don't go through much vanilla extract a year as I don't make many desserts, but now that I have the grade A beans I do plan to make some vanilla bean ice cream.

Anyways I should be getting my beans latter this week (ordered a package of 25 grade A Madagascar 6-7" beans for $17.95), so a few other questions. From reading posts on this thread I think using 6 beans per cup of alcohol is the correct amount, but want to verify. I'm going with vodka, and not sure if I should get 80 proof or 100 proof? Does the vanilla extract taste better when using I higher grade vodka? I was thinking Smirnoff or Skyy as a low end vodka, but could get Absolut or Stoli if it makes a big difference.

Here is a website I found on making extracts so while I'm making the vanilla I also plan to make the almond as it looks super easy.

http://www.commonsensehome.com/how-to-make-homemade-extracts/

Edited by jcg (log)

I decided to go with the grade A as their website says you can use them for making extract and they are better for cooking. I don't go through much vanilla extract a year as I don't make many desserts, but now that I have the grade A beans I do plan to make some vanilla bean ice cream.

Anyways I should be getting my beans latter this week (ordered a package of 25 grade A Madagascar 6-7" beans for $17.95), so a few other questions. From reading posts on this thread I think using 6 beans per cup of alcohol is the correct amount, but want to verify. I'm going with vodka, and not sure if I should get 80 proof or 100 proof? Does the vanilla extract taste better when using I higher grade vodka? I was thinking Smirnoff or Skyy as a low end vodka, but could get Absolut or Stoli if it makes a big difference.

If you've got a scale, weigh the beans. I used 24 grams of beans for an 8-oz. jar of alcohol. I really don't remember how many beans that came to, but if you weigh them, you'll be ok. That will give you a single-fold extraction. You can always up the bean count, if you feel like it.

Andie starts her extracts with high-proof Everclear, but I don't think she can get the 190-proof, like I can in Kansas. I think she's limited to the 151-proof. That should be good enough, though. You just add enough of the high-proof stuff to cover the beans, then in a month, cover with 80-proof alcohol. That jumpstarts the extraction, but then also gives you lower-proof alcohol to finish it with. I think it might be the best of both worlds to combine the two. However, if you want to keep it simple, you might just get the 100-proof stuff and be done with it.

That said, I won't know for sure for a few months.

I don't really drink vodka, much, myself, but I have used both cheap stuff and not-so-cheap stuff. I tend to buy local, if I can, which means I've used cheap McCormick, and not-so-cheap 360, and really, I couldn't tell much of a difference, but I also let my extracts sit for a good, long time to mellow. And I think bean quantity is going to make more of a difference than quality of vodka. But, not being a vodka aficionado, I could be completely barking up the wrong tree on the vodka-quality issue.

I just was going back through this thread, a few pages, and noted that my Bourbon splits were called "near-gourmet," which I think means that they would have been gourmet if they hadn't had splits in them. I did notice a definite difference in the appearance of the unfinished "A" and B extracts, in that the B extracts had a lot of oils pulled out of the beans that the A extracts did not. I really don't think you're going to see a huge difference in the end product, but I won't know, on my end, for a few months, yet.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you end up doing. Whatever you do, I'm sure you will be satisfied with your extract, as long as you have enough beans in the alcohol.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

Here is a website I found on making extracts so while I'm making the vanilla I also plan to make the almond as it looks super easy.

Oh, I love almond extract. I'll have to check that out.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

OK, just got back from the supermarket and they had an awesome sale on Skyy vodka as the 750ml bottle was marked down from $19.99 to $10.99, so that's what I'll be using for my extracts. The vodka is only 80 proof and it looks like only the real cheap brands come in 100 proof (or maybe the supermarket just doesn't have the right selection). Also they didn't have any Everclear, so I'm hoping it's OK to just use the 80 proof vodka. If the Everclear is just to jumpstart the process I'm not in a big hurry, as I've already got a 4oz bottle of Cook's vanilla in the pantry (and that is enough to last me quite awhile). I'm guessing I won't even try the vanilla for at least 6 months, and that I'll probably give a bunch as Xmas presents (so that gives 9 1/2 months for it to mellow/age). Based on that is it OK to omit the Everclear?

I do have a scale so I can measure the beans. Is 24 grams per 8 oz what everyone has been using? What if you use more does it just make a stronger extract? I assume at some point it would get even too strong so there would be a limit on how many beans you would want to use.

I also bought a 2.25 oz bag of slivered almonds (1/2 cup) so I'll be starting the almond extract at the same time. The link I posted says to use only 6 almonds per cup of alcohol, but that doesn't seem like that much??? Googled how many almonds in 1 oz and it says ~20-25 so that means my 2.25 oz of slivered almonds would be 45-55 almonds which would be enough for 8-9 cups of alcohol. I'm going to google some more to see if I should be using more as I want a pretty strong tasting extract.

Edited by jcg (log)

I know this was posted a long time ago, but, cmo, I would like to let you know that ALL of the extracts I started in the post above yours, and the ones I started in 2012, were vacuumed a bit. I think this is an effect of temperature change and sealed alcohol, but I don't know for sure. There may be some ethanol evaporation over time, too, but I really don't know if oxygen and ethanol molecules are similarly sized.

I do know, though, that these jars were closed in June, when it was in excess of 80 degrees in the house, and I opened them in February, when it was in the high 60's to low 70's, so some gas contraction could have an effect.

This is all just to say that I don't think that what happened to your extracts was unusual, and they're probably safe to use.

Just found this, which talks about the latent heat of vaporization. Haven't read through the whole thing, yet, but it sounds like it might explain the phenomenon.

ETA link.

Thanks.  I have since used the vanilla in pound cakes and rice pudding.  I must say that I love the flavor of the Tahitian in the cakes, and Bourbon in the pudding.  Now my question is, I found that I still have beans left from that experiment (from 2010) that are dried out.  Some are still vacuum sealed, and some were in a ziploc.  Is it okay to make more vanilla with those, and should I do something special to them before I start the vanilla?

OK, just got back from the supermarket and they had an awesome sale on Skyy vodka as the 750ml bottle was marked down from $19.99 to $10.99, so that's what I'll be using for my extracts. The vodka is only 80 proof and it looks like only the real cheap brands come in 100 proof (or maybe the supermarket just doesn't have the right selection). Also they didn't have any Everclear, so I'm hoping it's OK to just use the 80 proof vodka. If the Everclear is just to jumpstart the process I'm not in a big hurry, as I've already got a 4oz bottle of Cook's vanilla in the pantry (and that is enough to last me quite awhile). I'm guessing I won't even try the vanilla for at least 6 months, and that I'll probably give a bunch as Xmas presents (so that gives 9 1/2 months for it to mellow/age). Based on that is it OK to omit the Everclear?

I do have a scale so I can measure the beans. Is 24 grams per 8 oz what everyone has been using? What if you use more does it just make a stronger extract? I assume at some point it would get even too strong so there would be a limit on how many beans you would want to use.

I also bought a 2.25 oz bag of slivered almonds (1/2 cup) so I'll be starting the almond extract at the same time. The link I posted says to use only 6 almonds per cup of alcohol, but that doesn't seem like that much??? Googled how many almonds in 1 oz and it says ~20-25 so that means my 2.25 oz of slivered almonds would be 45-55 almonds which would be enough for 8-9 cups of alcohol. I'm going to google some more to see if I should be using more as I want a pretty strong tasting extract.

It should be fine to omit the Everclear and use just the 80-proof stuff. Christmas should be fine, too. As far as weight of beans per 8 ounces of alcohol (or of total volume, really), the more beans you add, the stronger your vanilla will be. There was a guy who stuffed a one-liter bottle full of all his vanilla beans (or maybe it was a gal, I don't know) and left it. It apparently turned out VERY strong. I am experimenting with this idea, and have a four-fold extraction going that has beans filling up the jelly jar, with alcohol taking up the rest of the room. It smells heavenly. Obviously, this would be used in smaller amounts in recipes, or to give a HUGE vanilla kick. It's really up to you how strong you want to go, but I would recommend, based on my experimentation and experiences, and the FDA definition of vanilla extract, that you don't want to go weaker than that, so that you aren't disappointed by your extraction.

With the almond extract, I think you might be well served to make two different extractions of different strengths, and see what you like the best. I read that site's instructions, and I'm not convinced it would make an almond extract that would be similar enough to store-bought for my tastes. However, it did remind me that an "almond" extract can be made by macerating peach pits, so I might try that at some point.

Have fun! :-)

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

thock,

when you say "four-fold extraction" do you mean you are using 4X the amount of beans, so 24x4= 96 grams per 8 oz of alcohol? That sounds like it would be pretty strong indeed!

In regards to the almond extract I actually posted 2 different sites with the 2nd site using almost 3X what the first site's recipe called for. My post that I was going to use .75oz per 8 oz of alcohol is about what the 2nd stronger recipe calls for. Are you saying the first or 2nd link recipe won't be as strong as the store bought?

thock,

when you say "four-fold extraction" do you mean you are using 4X the amount of beans, so 24x4= 96 grams per 8 oz of alcohol? That sounds like it would be pretty strong indeed!

In regards to the almond extract I actually posted 2 different sites with the 2nd site using almost 3X what the first site's recipe called for. My post that I was going to use .75oz per 8 oz of alcohol is about what the 2nd stronger recipe calls for. Are you saying the first or 2nd link recipe won't be as strong as the store bought?

Yes, four times the amount of beans. Apparently, "X-fold" is a typical vanilla industry term.

I only saw the first link. I totally missed the second one. But in any case, I wasn't really talking about strength, but characteristics. Sweet almonds are a lot different from bitter almonds, so I don't know in what way the extracts will differ. I'm looking forward to seeing what your experiences are. In terms of quantity to use, I can only imagine that the more you use, the stronger the extraction will be.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

I am so entertained by reading how the various "experimental" methods have turned out and how those in the works are progressing.

I can't recall how long ago I began making my own vanilla extract but it had to have been in the mid 1970s because the first batch was made with Hudson's Bay 151 proof rum - on the advice of a chef that had conducted a "gourmet cooking class" I attended at that time.

I'm pretty sure that that brand of rum has not been sold in this area since the early 80s. 

I've tried so many different spirits and combinations (and did not keep detailed records - shame on me) and practically all of them worked, some more efficiently than others.

I also tried "vacuum processing" using my vac sealing machine on canning jars -  taking a note from the "vacuum marinating" idea.  It's possible the extraction went more rapidly than usual, but I did not do any scientific testing. 

I borrowed a small distillation unit but returned it without every seeing if vanilla could be distilled efficiently.  (I did some herbal extractions which turned out "so-so" which was rather discouraging). 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I do buy the 151 proof Everclear here in Calif. but I also have neighbors who travel back and forth to Arizona often and are always willing to bring me a couple of bottles. 

I have also used the 151 proof Bacardi, an overproofed vodka - a Polish product given me by a friend.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Andie,

I was curious what the difference might be between first extraction using high-proof vs. "normal-proof" alcohol. Some had said they didn't like the overproof stuff as much, but I wonder if they were using overproof for the whole volume of alcohol. That's why I started my experiment. I wanted to see for myself what the differences might be. I can tell you, it's been a learning experience.

Have you ever seen little yellow globs in your initial Everclear extractions, before you added the rest of the alcohol?

I think that I will probably do single-fold extractions for gift giving, but from here on out, I think I will make double- or quadruple-strength extractions from which to make vanilla syrup. Single-fold (or less, really) has too much of an alcoholic taste to it when combined with the syrup. My partner LOVES vanilla syrup. He got hooked on it when I found a bunch of Starbucks vanilla syrup at a deep discount at a local salvage store.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

The advantage (to me) in using the high alcohol percentage for "kick-starting" the extraction, is that is seems to remain stable for a very long time.

And "cutting" the alcohol with another spirit, brandy, etc., modifies the flavor  and I have also tried some "tricks" to remove the extract from the bottom to avoid getting too much of the oily stuff that floats on the top.  I use one of the glass "gravy separators" like this  decanting the (strained) liquid into it and leaving it to stand for an hour or so. 

I think I wrote in an earlier post that I had a problem with adding some of my homemade vanilla to beaten egg whites - the stuff was oily and caused much of the mass to collapse. 

I have also tried numerous methods to keep the vanilla from evaporating, including dipping the upper part of the little bottles and the caps in melted wax or even in PlastiDip coating. 

Yes, I have seen little yellow globules in the extractions. 

I still have most of a batch that was made entirely with tequila, a bottle of what I later learned was a very expensive  "extra anejo" - as I don't drink alcohol, I figured it was fine to use to make vanilla.  The product is excellent, the flavor is deep and nuanced but it took well over a year to reach the level of flavor concentration that I prefer. 

Tracy - Thanks for the awesome update! You are doing great research :-) I'm glad you mentioned the yellow extracted matter in case that happens I won't freak out and toss everything.

I started my 2x extraction of grade b madagascar beans in Wray and Nephew Overproof as suggested by Kerry last week and it has already acquired a lovely color but is of course a long way from vanilla. Hopefully, my current batch will last until this one is ready.

Last night I was looking up some information on sugar in vanilla extract and came across this question on the FAQ page of Nielsen Massey:

Q: Why is there sugar in your vanilla extract?
A: Sugar is actually one of five permissible ingredients, besides vanilla, water and alcohol, the FDA allows in Pure Vanilla Extract (see their definition here). It helps in the extraction process of the vanilla extract by softening the beans and making it easier to extract the flavoring material from the beans. Additionally, it helps keep the vanilla compounds extracted from the bean in suspension providing clarity to the product. Vanilla extracts that don’t use sugar or some other sweetener often look cloudy because the matter is floating around in the liquid. While other sweeteners work (and some producers even use corn syrup), we use 100% all-natural crystalized cane sugar because we prefer the reliable quality and taste. In the end, the sugar content in our extract makes up less than 5% of the end product, an amount of sugar that is insignificant nutritionally, considering most recipes call for only a teaspoon of vanilla (0 carbs, 15 calories), which is then spread throughout the entire dish.

http://www.nielsenmassey.com/culinary/faq.php

I remember adding some sugar to my current stock of vanilla so I threw in a Tbsp to see if it will make any difference in extraction time.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I use simple syrup but have also tried adding one of the sugar alcohols:  Xylitol, Erythritol, Isomalt, Glycerol (Glycerine) - all now available at Amazon.

I sweetened a couple of batches with Golden Syrup (cane) and one with palm syrup. 

They all work and usually the vanilla flavor overpowers any inherent flavors present in the syrups - except for maple - which turned out to be a lovely flavor but not purely vanilla. 

As I recall, I used the entire (4 ounce) batch in baking cookies and quick breads. 

And I've tried extracting the vanilla flavors using only glycerin - time consuming, complicated and so-so results.