• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The make-your-own vanilla extract experiment

Fat Guy

Does anyone have an idea how long vanilla sugar should take to start exhibiting an aroma and taste of vanilla? I used a vanilla bean in baking a few weeks ago, and as I had a half a bag of sugar, in addition to a full storage canister, I decided to bury the vanilla pod in the extra sugar. I checked it today and there is a very faint scent of vanilla. I decided to add another couple of beans, which I did not scrape prior to chopping up and burying in the sugar. I also transferred the sugar to a canister, instead of leaving it in the bag. I'm hoping to see a more intense vanilla aroma by Christmas.

BTW, the beans I am using are over a year old and becoming quite dried out. I may try andiesenji's method, mentioned on this page, of steaming them to re-hydrate soon, but I only want to do that when I am about to use them, otherwise they will just dry out again - right?

I don't really know, but when I started with a whole vanilla bean, that was dried out, I didn't open the sugar for a week, I think, and by that time, it was smelling vaguely vanilla-like. I cut mine into 1/8-1/4-inch pieces, though.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

• 9 months later...

I started some today.

2 Tahitian grade A beans went into an old glass spice jar with vodka amounting to two of the very tiny Absolut bottles. 1 Madagascar bean went into an old vanilla bottle with vodka amounting to ONE Of the tiny Absolut bottles. This weekend I'll be picking up more vodka, some white rum, and some bottles to put it all in. Once I do that, it's vanilla extract, sugar, and syrup for the fam.

I started some extract a looong time ago - actually a year ago November. Shortly thereafter I moved my family from India back to the states, and after a long process, we finally settled in our new city (and about to move into our final home next month!).

I originally purchased extract grade beans from the vanilla store Fat Guy recommended, and put about 8-12 (can't honestly remember!) split beans into mason jars with vodka.

Then I put several (6-8?) chopped beans into a mason jar with refined sugar and promptly forgot about them all. I know I shook them all vigorously daily the first month or so until we moved, but they all smelled 'chemically' (especially the liquid ones).

Now, however, it's a different story. We've been using the extract, and it has a beautiful rich aroma, super-dark coloring, and works great. I haven't tried the vanilla sugar yet, can't honestly think what I'd use it for! Maybe a good cup of coffee...but that seems like a waste.

It's one of those projects thats daunting at the beginning because of the time, but is certainly worth it in the long run. It's also fun to tell someone (when they ask) that those jars are your homemade extract... ;)

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

• 2 months later...

Well, I tried some of the vanilla that I started around this time last year in a little milk. I also mixed some Kirkland brand I still have and compared.

It all smells good. The Tahitian/Madagascan blend in a blend of rums is not as spectacular as I would have hoped, but it's good. The completely Madagascan stuff rivals the Kirkland. It was done with vodka.

I also had started some cinnamon (actually cassia) extract and cocoa nib extracts last year. 8 oz of vodka to 3 6" sticks of cassia and so many cocoa nibs to one of those little single-serving-size bottles of vodka.

The cinnamon tastes a bit of red hots, but not entirely. It's got some complexity to it. I haven't tasted the cocoa nib, yet.

I also started new extracts tonight, mostly following Andie's Everclear method. I started an all-Madagascan (5 7" beans), an all-Tahitian (7 5" beans), and a combination of the two (can't remember the ratio, although it's written on the jar lid). I cut the beans into 1/8" pieces with kitchen shears and covered them with 1/4 c. 190-proof Everclear in a 1-quart Mason jar.

I started some anise extract in a pint jar with 1/4 each anise seeds and 190-proof Everclear, and did the same with cocoa nibs in another pint jar.

I started some Ceylon cinnamon extract in a quart jar (4 sticks in vodka), cassia in a quart jar (4 sticks in vodka), and a combination of 2 sticks of Ceylon combined with the 3 sticks of cassia that came out of the cinnamon extract I tasted tonight.

In a week or so, I'll top the vanillas, anise and cocoa nib jars with vodka, then just leave them in the back of the pantry to make themselves.

I plan on giving my SO's sisters 2-oz. bottles of the vanillas for Christmas, this year. I'll then top those bottles off with some more vodka, even the one started with rum.

I'm evilly thinking of peppercorns, tien tsin peppers, and would like other ideas, if anyone has them. I realize this is not on the track of vanilla extract, but as they say (don't they?) homemade vanilla extract is the gateway drug of homemade extracts...

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

Thock, you might try a small batch of sumac with grains of paradise, 3:1 ratio. Crush them a bit before adding the liquor.

It is an interesting lemony/peppery flavor that one of my friends likes to put in bloody marys instead of Tabasco, his wife is allergic to peppers.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have a full gallon of Jim Beam macerating with a fist full of madagascar beans...that's my batch for next Christmas. This year I am doling out the stuff I made with cognac. In the four years I have been doing this, bourbon is by far my favorite. I find the vodka too acrid.

I am excited, however, to break out the vodka for the sumac/grains of paradise as suggested by andiesenji. Any idea how long that might take to infuse?

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I have a full gallon of Jim Beam macerating with a fist full of madagascar beans...that's my batch for next Christmas. This year I am doling out the stuff I made with cognac. In the four years I have been doing this, bourbon is by far my favorite. I find the vodka too acrid.

I am excited, however, to break out the vodka for the sumac/grains of paradise as suggested by andiesenji. Any idea how long that might take to infuse?

If you use Everclear or high proof vodka, the flavor will be pronounced enough to use in three or four weeks. I called Rog and he said he makes it in small amounts as only a few drops are enough to flavor a glass. He uses 4 ounces of Everclear with three tablespoons of sumac and one tablespoon of grains of paradise - although he also said that he has used long pepper when he didn't have the grains on hand. He uses my "trick" of cutting the long pepper with a doggy nail clipper.

He crushes the spices wets them with just a splash of liquor then mashes them in a mortar until it is almost a paste then adds the remains of the liquor.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 5 months later...

I started a vanilla extract with equal amounts (six and six) of Tahitian and Madagascar Vanilla Beans. The beans I purchased from an eBay seller who specializes in selling just beans. They were nicely cheap, and look to be great quality.

I have done infusions before, and over time I have found that blending the vodka with the infusing ingredient helps infuse at a quicker rate. I like to make a vodka ginger infusion that tastes amazing after only one month of sitting. When that month is up, I strain it with a tightly woven muslin bag. That takes out all but the finest dust out of the ginger infusion, and leaves behind this beautiful film, cloudy sheen that settles to the bottom of the bottle.

If I let it sit for a day, the dust settles, but shaking it gives the infusion a shiny and quite exotic look. Much more attractive.

Back to the vanilla extract.

So I liquefied the vanilla beans with the vodka until it was a nice mash, put it inside of a clean Georgi Vodka bottle, and have let it sit now for a week. There are so many little black specks of beans. Its beautiful. The smell is starting to develop nicely. Very sweet and heavenly. It has a thick rich vanilla candy aroma. My only concern so far is the color.

Maybe I need to do more research into vanilla extract colors, because mine is not black. Do commercial products add artificial coloring? Does it just take time for the extract to develop the brackish coloring? It is umber. The color, I feel, is getting a bit darker, but nothing like the glorious black I see in commercial products.

It takes quite a while to get to that color, mine is pretty dark and it's been sitting since the end of september. I used 15 vanilla beans and 325 mL of vodka (stoli in case you're curious) and I'll never go back to store bought. I'm thinking I'm going to try with rum next time. And everyone is getting vanilla for christmas. For those who don't bake, I'm sending a few easy recipes too. I have a ton of vanilla beans left (I bought a half pound and got a 1/4 pound free) so I'm actually using beans in a lot of recipes that call for extract. I know the longer the extract sits, the better it'll get but the beans themselves will dry out so I'm using them first.

Edited by Genkinaonna (log)

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

• 4 weeks later...

My order of beans came in the mail last week. I can't wait to get started on this.

This Christmas everyone is getting Vanilla extract, pancetta and caramels, all home made.

I know it was quite a while ago now, but thank you FG for recommending this supplier, he's great to deal with.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

I get mine on ebay from the seller vanillaproducts. Super fast, really reasonable, and I've been very happy with the quality.

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Thanks to this thread I bought "1/2 LB Madagascar Bourbon Extract Vanilla Beans 6~7" from the above mentioned seller (vanillaproducts) in the first week of January. They also sent me 10 Tahiti beans. I used 2/3 of all the beans in half a liter of Stolichnaya 100 proof for extract, which is now really wonderful, dark, and oily. Just looking at it makes my happy, whenever I go into the pantry, I shake it a bit, and watch the small vanilla dots swirl around the jar, it kind of reminds me of playing with a snow globe back in my childhood. Delightful and calming.

• 2 months later...

a6cd0b33-e319-e905.jpg

So now what? I've used most of one jar, what can I do with these pods? Can I just add more vodka, reuse the pods, or ??

Ideas appreciated!

---

- From iPhone using Tapatalk

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Add more vodka or high-proof brandy.

I have found that the higher the percentage of alcohol, the more flavor is extracted from the beans.

This is particularly true with beans that have already been used.

If you can get it, add a pint of EverClear 190 proof or if that is difficult to find, the 151 proof.

Hey guy's I know I'm a bit late to the party, but have as far as wondering what certain flavors might be like for other infusions (like you mentioned about cocoa-nibs and different peppercorn) but don't want to invest the hours of infusing before seeing if the flavor is something you actually enjoy, if you have one of those ISI cream whipper you can charge with N02 you could try a super fast way just to see if you like the flavor. Nils Noren and Dave Arnold from the French Culinary Institute figured this technique about a year ago.

"You can infuse flavors into liquor (and water based things, too) almost instantly with nothing more than an iSi Cream Whipper . You can use seeds, herbs, spiced, fruits, cocoa nibs, etc. Here’s how:

Put room-temperature booze into the cream whipper. Add herbs, seeds, whatever. Close the whipper and charge it with nitrous oxide (N2O –the regular whipped cream chargers). Swirl gently 30 seconds and let stand 30 seconds more. Quickly vent the N2O out of the whipper, open it, and strain out the infusion. Done."

http://www.cookingissues.com/2010/08/11/infusion-profusion-game-changing-fast-%E2%80%98n-cheap-technique/

I know you guys seem to love the experience and tradition of long-soaked extracts but I thought some of you guys might be interested.

I'm still making vanilla with the original beans Steven sent us early adapters. It may take a bit longer, but , amazingly, with more time, it still makes vanilla.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Hey guy's I know I'm a bit late to the party, but have as far as wondering what certain flavors might be like for other infusions (like you mentioned about cocoa-nibs and different peppercorn) but don't want to invest the hours of infusing before seeing if the flavor is something you actually enjoy, if you have one of those ISI cream whipper you can charge with N02 you could try a super fast way just to see if you like the flavor. Nils Noren and Dave Arnold from the French Culinary Institute figured this technique about a year ago.

"You can infuse flavors into liquor (and water based things, too) almost instantly with nothing more than an iSi Cream Whipper . You can use seeds, herbs, spiced, fruits, cocoa nibs, etc. Here’s how:

Put room-temperature booze into the cream whipper. Add herbs, seeds, whatever. Close the whipper and charge it with nitrous oxide (N2O –the regular whipped cream chargers). Swirl gently 30 seconds and let stand 30 seconds more. Quickly vent the N2O out of the whipper, open it, and strain out the infusion. Done."

http://www.cookingissues.com/2010/08/11/infusion-profusion-game-changing-fast-%E2%80%98n-cheap-technique/

I know you guys seem to love the experience and tradition of long-soaked extracts but I thought some of you guys might be interested.

Cola-Bear, you beat me to it! I was about to suggest the same thing.

I first tried this technique with some mint leaves and some bourbon, and it made a great mint julep with no muddling. Then a couple of days ago I tried it with three Mexican vanilla beans from Whole Foods ($13!), which I slit lengthwise and then cut into one inch pieces. I put the pieces in an iSi GourmetWhip along with 500 ml of black Jack Daniels, and charged it with two nitrogen cream chargers.

(I could have used the consumer-grade CreamWhipper, but it is harder to clean, not dishwasher safe, and the dispenser tip is a nuisance to use -- I much prefer the professional GourmetWhip , or the insulated ThermoWhip.)

After an hour, I released the nitrogen straight up (not pointed down), as quickly as possible. The flavor was OK, but nothing to write home about. Then I remembered that nitrogen dissolves much better in a cold liquid, so I recharged the mixture with another two chargers, and put it in the refrigerator for 24 hours.

That did the trick. This time the flavor was great, without being overwhelming. I'll probably use it in small quantitates, just to flavor a bourbon, or whenever I need some vanilla extract.

• 4 months later...

Started my first batch of extract a year ago and just gave most of it away as Christmas presents. I already have new alcohol on the old beans for a second extraction, but still would like to get some more beans for using without extraction. However, my shopping around is leading me to believe that either supply or demand has changed drastically in the past year (especially for tahitian beans). Has anyone else seen this, or know anything about the changes in availability and price?

Did you check the eBay supplier vanillaproducts? They still have them, but it seems they've doubled in price from when I bought some in 2009. I don't know why, except that all food seems to have gone up in price considerably from 2 years ago. I still think that's a good value, though.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA