• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The make-your-own vanilla extract experiment

Fat Guy

My vanilla should be here before the end of the week. I'm going to follow Lucy in Australia's advice & make twice as much as I had planned.

Is there a ballpark figure for how long it will take? The waiting part will be so painful.

Lisa, on the Arizona Vanilla Company's website http://www.vanillarocks.com/extract.html they mention the simple syrup as optional. They say it takes the edge off the alcohol.

pat w.

I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance

Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance.

-- Ogden Nash

http://bluestembooks.com/

To prevent curdling, mix the extract with a teaspoon or so of simple syrup (everyone should have some on hand anyway), then add it to the milk or cream. 

When making eggy things with milk, note that in most recipes, one is instructed to add the vanilla or other flavorings to the Eggs or Egg yolks, mix well, then add the milk.  There are strong proteins in the egg yolks that keeps the alcohol in the extracts from reacting with the milk. 

Try putting a drop of any kind of liquor (easier to see with the dark-colored ones) and see what happens. 

One of my ex-husbands often drank "Highalnd moose milk" and it always looked awful when the scotch was poured into the milk.

As always Andie, you're on it. Thanks! And, you're right about the egg + vanilla, then milk order - I've always done it but never really realized why.

PatW - mine has been sitting around for about 6-7 months now, and it's good stuff. The first several months there was a lot of weirdness about the smell or a bite of the alcohol that really worked itself out later. My advice is to put it in the deep recesses of your cabinet where you won't see it, forget about it, and make it a pleasant surprise this summer sometime!

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

My vanilla should be here before the end of the week.  I'm going to follow Lucy in Australia's advice & make twice as much as I had planned.

Is there a ballpark figure for how long it will take?  The waiting part will be so painful.

Lisa, on the Arizona Vanilla Company's website http://www.vanillarocks.com/extract.html they mention the simple syrup as optional.  They say it takes the edge off the alcohol. 

pat w.

Depending on the strength of the liquor, you can begin using it after a month or so if you use a high proof alcohol. You get more extraction with a greater percentage of alcohol.

I usually start it with Everclear then cut that with a less aggressive spirit to get a mellower blend.

100 proof will give you an acceptable product in two months and it will get better and better as time goes on, up to a maximum of 24 months. You don't have to remove the vanilla beans then, they simply won't give up any more flavor.

"Test" or try it every month or so, adding a little to a custard (rice pudding is also a good way to test it) and you will be able to distinguish the increased strength in the extract and the eventual mellowing.

Simple syrup is the best thing to use, corn syrup is not a good additive.

If you want to try different compounds, agave syrup is an excellent (although expensive) sweetener which seems to have a great affinity for flavorings, especially vanilla, almond and citrus extracts.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I just got my first half pound of madagascar from the afore mentioned ebay store. I feel like a drug dealer as I have been counting them out and onselling to my friends

"Hey.. I got my "package". 50c a hit. How much do your people want?"

"Woah that's the cheapest I've seen on the street. I'll take 10"

"Sure. I'll arange delivery.."

Although I guess according to this site it kind of is..

"Alternatively, marry a good man or woman, have plenty of children, and train them to do it while you drink a glass of wine and grow a moustache." -Moby Pomerance

If you want to try different compounds, agave syrup is an excellent (although expensive) sweetener which seems to have a great affinity for flavorings, especially vanilla, almond and citrus extracts.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never heard of agave sweetener. When I think agave, I think tequila. I will do a Google search & learn more.

I plan on using a bottle of Absolut Vodka that was bought for guests & is now languishing in the back of a cupboard. It's 80 proof.

This is going to be fun!

pat w.

-- Ogden Nash

Well, last night I stuffed vanilla beans in a jar of vodka, a quarter bottle of rum & a canister of sugar.

I just looked at the vodka jar, I don't think it's ready yet. Maybe tomorrow...

There are a lot of vanilla beans in a pound. I vacuum packed most of the leftovers, but kept a few out to try right away. I hope this isn't an annoyingly dumb question, but if I want to use a bean (split & scraped) for rice or tapioca pudding, do I add it at the beginning or the end of the cooking time?

pat

-- Ogden Nash

Hi all. I started my vanilla extract in may and sent them off as christmas presents about 4 weeks ago. I started out with some triple distilled vodka but also made extract with some bottom-basement cheap stuff, and i really can't tell the difference. I didn't use any sweeteners, syrups, or the like and am extremely happy with the results. i also used the dried extract pods to make some vanilla sugar, which has a million uses (i used it to make vanilla popcorn, which tastes like kettle corn when mixed with melted butter and salt and is really, really hard to stop eating).

any other extract ideas running around in your heads?

Edited by velocity (log)

Thanks for the responses regarding the addition of simple syrup. I'm still torn as to whether or not I'll do it. However, if having some in there will prevent future curdling, I might just add it. Good thing I have until March 3rd to decide. Millie (as I call her) was born on September 3rd.

Well, last night I stuffed vanilla beans in a jar of vodka, a quarter bottle of rum & a canister of sugar.

I just looked at the vodka jar, I don't think it's ready yet.  Maybe tomorrow... 

Are you asking if you'll have useable vanilla extract a couple of days after putting the beans in the vodka??

Notes from the underbelly

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never heard of agave sweetener. When I think agave, I think tequila. I will do a Google search & learn more.

I plan on using a bottle of Absolut Vodka that was bought for guests & is now languishing in the back of a cupboard. It's 80 proof.

This is going to be fun!

pat w.

I bought this6 pack over a year ago( I gave 1 bottle away) and I'm on my last bottle. Its great stuff. I found it very reasonably priced. Its great for diabetics too.

That's an excellent price. The local independent health food store will sell me a case at a comparable price, no shipping charges.

The endocrinologist that I consulted, after being diagnosed with Type II diabetes in '03 or '04, recommended that I use it because of the "glycemic index" or something to that effect.

I find that I use much less, not because it has a greater sweetening effect, like the artificial sweeteners, but it seems to enhance the flavor of the foods to which it is added.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Are you asking if you'll have useable vanilla extract a couple of days after putting the beans in the vodka??

Ummm, no. It was just a poorly executed attempt at humor.

Edited to add: Thanks very much for the link Calipoutine.

pat w.

Edited by Pat W (log)

-- Ogden Nash

• 2 weeks later...
Every few days I shake the jar and store it inverted (you have to make sure it is well sealed) to keep oxygen out of the jar. 

You can draw off some of the liquid and begin using it after a month but it is better after 4 months, at which time you can draw off a couple of ounces and store in a dark brown or opaque bottle, top up the jar and put it back, making sure it is well sealed.

It seems from reading this entire thread that most, if not all, people are using jars which they are filling up completely. I have a 1L hermetic glass jar and a 750ml bottle of Smirnoff vodka. Is it important to completely fill up the jar and eliminate as much air as possible? I can either see if I can buy a smaller jar, or spend US$25 for another bottle of vodka so that I've got enough to fill my 1L jar. With the second option, I'll have 1L of usable extract 6 months down the line, and I can use the extra vodka to top up as needed. Either way, I'm still curious to know whether not completely filling the jar will have any kind of noticable effect.

It is not an exact science and I doubt most people would notice much difference in the end product. I simply use the technique that was taught to me many years ago and that included keeping the container sealed as well as possible to prevent evaporation of the alcohol as well as oxidation. The higher the alcohol content, the more rapidly it will vaporize.

Recently I was advised to get some of the sealable wine bottle caps that can be used with the Food-Saver vacuum sealer accessory tube. I have yet to do so but now that I have been reminded, will order them today.

I've been working on a large bottle of vanilla for a few years now, and have worked out this method: I saved a few of the small dark glass bottles from the vanilla I used to buy, and put half a bean (or two) in the small bottles. Once the large bottle has sat a year, I pour off into the smaller bottles, and set those aside to use. I add a fresh bean to the original bottle, top it off with vodka, and put it away until needed. This way I always have a few smaller bottles to use or give away, and a large batch brewing, without having to start over and wait for the large bottle to "ripen". I do the same thing with vanilla sugar.

I've been working on a large bottle of vanilla for a few years now, and have worked out this method:  I saved a few of the small dark glass bottles from the vanilla I used to buy, and put half a bean (or two) in the small bottles.  Once the large bottle has sat a year, I pour off into the smaller bottles, and set those aside to use.  I add a fresh bean to the original bottle, top it off with vodka, and put it away until needed. This way I always have a few smaller bottles to use or give away, and a large batch brewing, without having to start over and wait for the large bottle to "ripen".  I do the same thing with vanilla sugar.

Wow! What a great system.

Thank you for sharing it & welcome to Egullet.

pat

-- Ogden Nash

I just found this thread today and I was overjoyed. Last Oct we went to the Marquesas Islands in French Polynesia and I bought alot of vanilla beans from the islanders. They were fresh, fragrant, and plump. I assume they are Tahitian beans. When I got home I made vanilla extract and vanilla sugar with them.

For the extract, I used expensive vodka, I split and scrapped the pods, and put both beans and split pods in the vodka. I sealed the jar on Nov 2. After reading this thread I opened the jar for the first time. The extract has a lovely vanillla fragrance and no odor of alcohol at all. I don't think it's done yet, though, especially after reading this thread.

As a test, I sniffed a jar of (expensive!) purchased vanilla extract that I have and there is no comparison! Even after a scant three months, my home made extract smells much purer and has more vanilla fragrance.

I am so glad to see that there are others making their own extract. My husband thinks I'm nuts.

egale, welcome to eGullet and the make-your-own-vanilla cult. :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I just found this thread today and I was overjoyed. Last Oct we went to the Marquesas Islands in French Polynesia and I bought alot of vanilla beans from the islanders.  They were fresh, fragrant, and plump.  I assume they are Tahitian beans. When I got home I made vanilla extract and vanilla sugar with them.

For the extract, I used expensive vodka, I split and scrapped the pods, and put both beans and split pods in the vodka. I sealed the jar on Nov 2. After reading this thread I opened the jar for the first time. The extract has a lovely vanillla fragrance and no odor of alcohol at all.  I don't think it's done yet, though, especially after reading this thread.

As a test, I sniffed a jar of (expensive!) purchased vanilla extract that I have and there is no comparison!  Even after a scant three months, my home made extract smells much purer and has more vanilla fragrance.

I am so glad to see that there are others making their own extract.  My husband thinks I'm nuts.

Hi Eagle, You are not nuts! The quality of the homemade vanilla will be apparent in whatever you prepare with it. The difference is most pronounced in milk and egg dishes.

When I was little, my grandmother used to put a single drop of vanilla extract on a light bulb in one of the lamps in the dining room. I did this not long ago to "test" one of my jars and the aroma immediately transported me back to my childhood. :wub: I tried the same thing with a drop from a commercial bottle and there was no comparison.

(The drop is placed on the bulb while it is turned OFF!) :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

I am mostly a homemade marshmallow groupie and never thought of looking for the homemade vanilla info here!

I also bought a bunch of beans from the Arizona Vanilla Co and because of an error, I ended up with an extra bunch of beans. After looking over the internet, it looked like making extract was pretty much a non-exact science: place beans in alcohol and wait.

So I did. I bought a bottle of Smirnoff vodka (40%/80 proof) and split a bunch of Madagascar and Tahitian beans and shoved them in the bottle, shaking them in a daily ritual. Couldn't even tell you how many...20-25 maybe in a 750ml bottle.

It's been several months now. It is so dark, the light won't shine through it! It is sheer heaven! I am halfway through it and already thinking about my next bottle. I will not use the Tahitian next time though, probably only Madagascar/Bourbon.

Where is everyone in the UK buying their vanilla for this. I've been looking on ebay and finding prices nowhere near what youre getting for your money in america. It could be the origin, or maybe shipping. Any ideas?

Some friends and I recently split a 5lbs bag of fleur de sel and made 7 different flavored salts.

We made:

Vanilla

Lemongrass, ginger, vanilla

Chili (chipotle, ancho, some others)

tequilla lime

jasmine tea

herb (all kinds of herbs)

smoked

Was lots of fun.  The tequilla lime and lemongrass/ginger/vanilla were my favorites.  The bright lemony scent followed by a mellow vanilla is really cool.  Now I need to figure out how to use them.

I think I'm gonna take some of the leftover vanilla beans and try some extract.  I just got a bottle of eagle rare bourbon, maybe I'll give that a go...

Just woundering 1 year on do the flavours still hold? - also did the tequilla & lime cake the salt with the moisture i.e did you need to dry it for storage?

Its only food...!

Where is everyone in the UK buying their vanilla for this. I've been looking on ebay and finding prices nowhere near what youre getting for your money in america. It could be the origin, or maybe shipping. Any ideas?

A friend in Surrey gets hers from this place.

She says they are satisfactory - which for her is a complement as she is one of the most understated persons I know and an accolade from her is at most, "fine" or "good."

When she visited us in So. Calif., we took her to a few restaurants that we like very much and as I recall, the most she said about any was that the food was "nicely flavored and interesting."

Edited by andiesenji (log)

I started reading this thread last week and the next thing I know I ordered the vanilla beans and made a trip to the ABC store and now have started the process of making the vanilla extract. I'm starting with Everclear as andiesenji recommended.

I order a pound of the Grade B Bourbon beans and 30 of the mixed and didn't realize until today before taking the knife to the pound package that the Ebayer sent Tahitian beans instead so I'm try to get back with him and see about him sending what I ordered. I was just excited I guess that they arrive so quickly.

Here are the beginning pictures.

gallery_58648_5744_7609.jpg

gallery_58648_5744_33766.jpg

Next week I'll add the vodka and maybe start more if I can get the bourbons beans in.

Edited by cleglue (log)