• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mol D'Art 50kg or Prefamac 30kg tempering machine

Has anyone ever used a Mol D'Art 50kg tempering machine or a Prefamac 30kg or 60kg (AKA Bakon in the US) machine? I have always used Mol D'Art melters, but never a machine with a wheel. I'm in the market for one of these machines and was wondering if someone can voice their opinions about these machines, if they have used them. One of the questions I have is about how long the chocolate stays in proper temper without having to do any adjustments. One thing that I don't like about the melters, is that the chocolate seems to overcrystalize quickly when you're working with them and then you have to toy around to get it back to a good fluidity.

So if you have worked on the big machines with a wheel, please give me your results and problems you experienced.

Thanks for you time in advance, it's very appreciated.

I work with a 20kg melter, though neither a Mol D'Art nor Prefamac.

Once upon a time I used a hairdryer periodically to overcome overcrystallization, heating the top layer of chocolate to, I guess, 40 degrees Celsius, and mixing in.

Then I took to using a heated vibrating table, primarily to remove excess chocolate from my just dipped centres. In addition the heated plate heats, continously, just enough chocolate, to just high enough a temperature, such that as this excess chocolate is swept back into the bowl, it neutralizes overcrystalization.

This may not help you choose between the two makes, but if you were able to recreate my accidental discovery, then it may transform your opinion of working with large volume melters.