• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Chef's Story," by Hamilton and Kuh

Fat Guy

We recently received a review copy of the book "Chef's Story: 27 Chefs Talk About What Got Them into the Kitchen," by Dorothy Hamilton and Patric Kuh. The book is derived from and a companion to the PBS television series "Chef's Story," hosted by Ms. Hamilton, who is founder and CEO of The French Culinary Institute. Patric Kuh, the co-author, is among other things the author of the book "The Last Days of Haute Cuisine."

Some of the chefs profiled in the book are Jose Andres, David Bouley, Thomas Keller, Charlie Trotter, Norman Van Aken and Jean-Georges Vongerichten. It's an attractive 300-page hardcover book from Ecco.

If you're a Society member and would be interested in reviewing this book for the benefit of your fellow members, please PM me and, if you're the first to respond, we'll send you the book. Your part of the bargain will be to post a review on this topic within three weeks of receiving the book. [EDITED TO ADD: This book has been claimed, but keep an eye out for more offers like this, as we plan to make member-contributed reviews a regular feature.]

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 4 weeks later...

I've just put down the book. First of all, it's an easy read. There's nothing complex or complicated about it What it is, is pure enjoyment, if you're at all interested in finding out more about various chefs.

There are 27 chefs in Chef's Story, and really, it could be 27 separate books, each chapter is so distinct from the previous one. The sheer brilliance and simplicity of the book is that each Chef sounds like he's talking to you in his kitchen, or front room. There is not one style throughout the book that says, "one person wrote this". Truly, each chapter, seemed to be in that Chef's own words.

I will not go through each chef, because then, well, you wouldn't need to read the book would you? But a few stand out. I've met some of these chefs, and heard them speak. And those chefs come across in the book, exactly the way they do in person.

Jose Andres can make you feel, see and taste Barcelona, even if you've never been there, and Dan Barber comes across just as neurotic and obsessive about local sustainability, as he does in person.

There are a number of chef's I'd never heard of before, and perhaps it was their chapters that delighted me most. Dean Fearing, of the Riz Carlton in Dallas, Suzanne Goin of Lucques and The Hungry Cat in LA, and Patrick Connell of The Inn at Little Washington to name a few.

A familiar refrain throughout each chapter, is each Chef's desire to cook "simple food, or peasant dishes". It makes them happy, and you can feel it when they describe those dishes that they like to make best. You can feel it when they talk about ingredients that speak to them. And you can feel it when they talk about the passion and discipline it takes to be in the professional kitchen.

Many of these chefs are highly educated, some going as far as almost finishing PH d degrees. But none of them felt the passion for what they were studying, as they did for the food that spoke to them.

Patrick Connell explained it perfectly in this quote:

When you're having a fractured day and you think you can't deal with it anymore, you can just get a big batch of dough going and stick your fingers in it, and suddenly, everything's better.  Or you make some cookies and fill the atmosphere with their wonderful aromas and you're back - you're ok.

For each Chef, food and cooking is what centres them.

This is no Kitchen Confidential. There are no screaming chefs, no abuse, no swearing even. Anthony Bourdain even comes across as sedate, well as sedate as he can be anyway. It is however, entertaining, and a great glimpse into the lives of 27 chefs and what makes them.

It's a great summer book to read on the deck while sipping a margarita or something, in the sun. Which is exactly what I'm going to do with it again.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.