• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Waitress," with Keri Russell

Fat Guy

Since having a child our movie-going average has plummeted to about one in-theater movie a year, however we were lucky enough to have a coincidence of babysitting and a conducive showtime this evening and managed to catch "Waitress," starring Keri Russell (formerly of "Felicity").

I thought it was a terrific food movie and also a terrific movie. The two main food elements are, first, that much of the action takes place in a diner among an eccentric ensemble of three waitresses, a cook and the owner (played by Andy Griffith) and, second, that Keri Russell makes all sorts of unusual pies, romanticizes pies, uses pies as symbols and is generally wild about pies (as are those who come within her orbit, like the young doctor, played by Nathan Fillion of "Firefly" fame).

I wasn't quite in paying-attention mode so didn't register the names of all the pies, or the lyrics to the title track about pie. Maybe someone can fill in the blanks.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

"Baby don't you cry

Gonna make a pie

Gonna make a pie with

A heart in the middle ..."

Very sweet movie. She just loves making pies, and especially inventing new pies. She brings a pie with pink and white marshmallows to her doctor, and in an explanation later in the movie she says she made that pie up when she was nine years old and she was going through her "mermaid phase." :smile: And her pies all seem to reflect whatever her current "phase" might be.

Just googled my way to a listing of pies from the movie:

* I Don’t Want Earl’s Baby Pie

Quiche of egg and brie cheese with a smoked ham center

* Kick In The Pants Pie

Cinnamon spice custard

* I Hate My Husband Pie

“You take bittersweet chocolate and don’t sweeten it. You make it into a pudding and drown it in caramel…”

* Baby Screaming It’s Head Off In The Middle Of The Night And Ruining My Life Pie

New York style cheesecake, brandy brushed, pecans and nutmeg…

* Earl Murders Me Because I’m Having An Affair Pie

“You smash blackberries and raspberries into a chocolate crust.”

* I Can’t Have No Affair Because It’s Wrong And I Don’t Want Earl To Kill Me Pie

“Vanilla custard with banana. Hold the banana…”

* Pregnant Miserable Self Pitying Loser Pie

“Lumpy oatmeal with fruitcake mashed in. Flambé of course…”

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 2 weeks later...

ya know, I have to agree with Mimi here--those pies weren't actual food, they were ideas.

and the movie was another stereotypical "quirky" movie--the characters familiar from sitcoms past.

it made me long for a nice mob hit or a slime monster to tart things up a bit.

But the story behind the story is so sad. Adrienne Shelly, the writer/director, was murdered just as the film was wrapping up. It may not be your cup of tea, but it has won a couple of awards. I'll probably buy it when the DVD comes out.

Pie - reminds me of the pie song in "Michael," with John Travolta, written and sung by Andie MacDowell's character.

Pie

Pie

Me oh my

Nothing tastes sweet, wet, salty and dry

all at once o well it's pie

Apple!

Pumpkin!

Minced

an' wet bottom.

Come to your place everyday if you've got em'

Pie

Me o my

I love pie

Thanks for making the point, Special K, that seemed to be missed by a few others above you.

Sitting here steaming, I wanted to say, "yeah, well, the Bialy Eaters is truly one of the most dreadful food books I've ever read, too" (which it really is), but you calmed me down.

Poor Adrienne. A terrific and underappreciated talent.

I know about Adrienne--and it is tragic--believe me I wanted to love this movie--the sad story, food as a powerful element, an interesting cast--if it was even a little bit good i would have raved about it, but sorry, i couldn't.

I can honor Adrienne as a person, but i can only say I'm sorry she didn't get to live to make more movies