• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moving to New Orleans

Sarabeth

We're moving to New Orleans later this summer and are very excited. As we look for a place to live, we'd really like to be within walking distance to a variety of (good) restaurants and bars. Obviously, there is the French Quarter, and we're looking at a few places around Toulouse and Burgandy (close to Fehy's... which makes the best Colorado Bulldog in the country or Three Legged Dog's gumbo sandwich), but I thought I'd see what other suggestions were out there.

I like to think that I know my restaurant scene down there, but I'm sure that I'm unaware of the only-for-locals neighborhood haunts.

Thanks in advance for the help and we can't wait to be there!

Sara

“The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love of it… If you’re convinced that cooking is drudgery, you’re never going to be good at it, and you might as well warm up something frozen.”

~ James Beard

Uptown, if you can afford it, is going to probably be your best bet. Given the current situation there, it's also one of the better areas of town. Plenty of stuff to do and see uptown, unless you want to wander out to the suburbs.

The "locals only" places seem to be struggling. The tourist dollar is crucial, since there just aren't as many locals as they used to be.

Congratulations on moving to one of the greatest cities in the world.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

There are certainly many areas of Uptown with plenty bars and restaurants within walking distance. Don't overlook Mid-City, particularly around the Fair Grounds. A very funky neighborhood with good eats like Liuzza's by the Track, Lola's and Parkway Bakery.

Honestly, there aren't too many places in town where you can't easily stumble to a bar.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I really enjoyed living in the faubourge St. John area, but then there was a Whole Foods, Lolas, Gabriellas for entertainment. I would think uptown is the place to be at this time.

There are certainly many areas of Uptown with plenty bars and restaurants within walking distance. Don't overlook Mid-City, particularly around the Fair Grounds. A very funky neighborhood with good eats like Liuzza's by the Track, Lola's and Parkway Bakery.

Honestly, there aren't too many places in town where you can't easily stumble to a bar.

Thanks for the ideas. We've been looking Uptown, but had sorta forgotten Mid-City... which is odd since we love the track. There's been an excellent "New Orleans Journal" in the New Yorker for the last few months. His post about buying turtles to make soup... and the man he bought them from... is fantastic (as are most of his posts), but his post today about crime has us a little nervous.

Regardless, we'll be in town this weekend to look at places and be sure to hit some old favorites and some new additions.

I read the article about Gabrielle in the T-P today. Shame. I hope they reopen somewhere soon.

“The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love of it… If you’re convinced that cooking is drudgery, you’re never going to be good at it, and you might as well warm up something frozen.”

~ James Beard

We just moved to the French Quarter about a week ago and so far we absolutely love it. It's great how many awesome places (and just the normal stuff like the A&P) are within walking distance. We actually live just about right across the street from Fahy's. I can't help much with the "locals" places since I just moved here, although our upstairs neighbor did give that label to Fahy's. Good luck finding the place you're looking for. Maybe we'll see you around!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we're that much closer to moving... although we still haven't settled on a place yet. We have to be in by Aug. 1, so we're getting down to the wire.

Does anyone have any opinions about butchers? In particular I'm looking for a butcher that will carry briskets with the point and flank intact... Whole Foods usually doesn't, unless I remember to call in advance.

Also, and I posted this on Chowhound, but didn't get any response: Does anyone know the name of the concessions stand at the Superdome that made the barbecue-stuffed baked potatoes? I remember that they were really good and I was wondering if they sold them outside of the Dome.

Thanks and we can't wait to be there!

(BrodeurR: Welcome to the Quarter! Enjoy a drink at Fahy's for me! I hope we'll see you there.)

~ James Beard

Well, we're that much closer to moving... although we still haven't settled on a place yet. We have to be in by Aug. 1, so we're getting down to the wire.

Does anyone have any opinions about butchers? In particular I'm looking for a butcher that will carry briskets with the point and flank intact... Whole Foods usually doesn't, unless I remember to call in advance.

Also, and I posted this on Chowhound, but didn't get any response: Does anyone know the name of the concessions stand at the Superdome that made the barbecue-stuffed baked potatoes? I remember that they were really good and I was wondering if they sold them outside of the Dome.

Thanks and we can't wait to be there!

(BrodeurR: Welcome to the Quarter! Enjoy a drink at Fahy's for me! I hope we'll see you there.)

you might try talking with the butchers at Langensteins. They are a little pricey but you can get custom cuts.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I know it sounds funny but I get all my briskets at Sam's Club, they sell the whole brisket including the second cut with an inch of fat still on in a kyro bag in the neighborhood of for less than $2 a lb. I believe they weight out somewhere near twelve lbs give or take 2 or 3 lbs. Speaking of Dorignac's, does anyone else miss their house made corned beef and pastrami. They would use the whole brisket as well and only sold it hot. It was the bomb. Then the owners decided that people wanted something a little less fatty. Oh well.