• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Its official. Norman VanAiken closes up shop

chefadamg

Was sad to get an email today from Normans in Coral Gables. June 1st it will officially close it doors for good. Had some GREAT meals there in the years past. Although the last 2 were a little suspect...I expect Norman was spending much of his efforts to increase his so called "Brand" throughout a few other high end hotel restaurants.

A sad comment on popular American chefs in my opinion. Perhaps we might benefit on losing The French Laundry and gaining 30-40 Bouchons? I think not...whoops..Im getting started on another topic altogether. Wish Norman all the best building his "empire".

Edited by chefadamg (log)

This is huge news. Norman's has for years been one of the most significant restaurants in the country. I'm terribly sad I never got to dine there.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

This is huge news. Norman's has for years been one of the most significant restaurants in the country. I'm terribly sad I never got to dine there.

Agreed. I had 3 memorable dinners in its hayday. Norman making the rounds after the dinner hour. Hope Allen Susser keeps the fire burning down there in Florida.

I'll second that. Norman's was one of the restaurants that put fusion cuisine (especially pan-Latin) on the map. He is also a cool and gracious guy.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 4 weeks later...

I'll second that. Norman's was one of the restaurants that put fusion cuisine (especially pan-Latin) on the map. He is also a cool and gracious guy.

I didn't realize he was closing up! He was the guest judge on Top Chef last night, and I was hoping to make it to his restaurant at some point. :sad:

Shai, santoku-wielding dabbler in many things culinary.

I didn't realize he was closing up!  He was the guest judge on Top Chef last night, and  I was hoping to make it to his restaurant at some point.  :sad:

Chances are you will still have the opportunity.

From another site: "He plans to spend more time at Norman's at The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Lakes, Orlando, and at a new restaurant at Beachside Resort in Key West. He and his partner Thomas Wood, Jr., say they are exploring opportunities to open a Norman's in a South Florida hotel sometime in the near future."

As the South Florida "restaurantscape" goes Norman's had quite a nice run. 12 years is phenomenal in this town!

Randy

Edited by Randy Lay (log)

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

Doug Larson

From another site: "He plans to spend more time at Norman's at The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Lakes, Orlando, and at a new restaurant at Beachside Resort in Key West. He and his partner Thomas Wood, Jr., say they are exploring opportunities to open a Norman's in a South Florida hotel sometime in the near future."

As the South Florida "restaurantscape" goes Norman's had quite a nice run. 12 years is phenomenal in this town!

Randy

Randy,

Thanks for the tip. I see myself in Orlando sooner than Miami area, I'm in Tampa now.

Warmly,

Shai

Shai, santoku-wielding dabbler in many things culinary.

Randy

Randy,

Thanks for the tip. I see myself in Orlando sooner than Miami area, I'm in Tampa now.

Warmly,

Shai

A few people here who've dined at Grand Lakes weren't impressed. Perhaps if Van Aken spends more time in the kitchen there - it might improve. Robyn