• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Celebrity Masterchef

I'm looking forward to 7.00pm this evening when the family will gather together to watch the new series of Celebrity Masterchef. How many times will Gregg use the word "soft" to indicate the height of culinary achievement? Judge a dish by shouting a list of its ingredients into the face of the chef that cooked it? Say that the somethingness of something cuts through the otherness of another thing? Go into a blissful state at the mere sight of food with a high sugar content? It's a rollercoaster ride of unexpected twists and turns and I can't wait to get on it.

I'm looking forward to 7.00pm this evening when the family will gather together to watch the new series of Celebrity Masterchef. How many times will Gregg use the word "soft" to indicate the height of culinary achievement? Judge a dish by shouting a list of its ingredients into the face of the chef that cooked it? Say that the somethingness of something cuts through the otherness of another thing? Go into a blissful state at the mere sight of food with a high sugar content? It's a rollercoaster ride of unexpected twists and turns and I can't wait to get on it.

Think up a few more of these and you could play buzzword bingo.

Perhaps they should change the title to:

Mostly TV Presenters and Soap Stars With a Couple of People You Might Have Heard of If You're Over 40 Thrown in for Good Measure Masterchef Although Its Not Really Masterchef As Most of Them Won't Be Able To Cook For Toffee But Will Be On A Really Interesting Journey That They've Started And Want To See Where It Takes Them

Edited by Andy Lynes (log)

Andy

You must be clairvoyant. I definitely qualify for the over 40 club and recognise a grand total of three people on the list, one musician and two sports people. I really should get out more.

Well, I think someone's had word with Gregg. No "soft"; no listing of ingredients; no "the crunchiness of" or "the sweetness of". The only saving grace was when he nearly fainted over Emma Forbes banana tart. I'll give him one more chance to deliver tonight, otherwise I'll have to initiate "John Torode Watch".

Andy

You must be clairvoyant.  I definitely qualify for the over 40 club and recognise a grand total of three people on the list, one musician and two sports people.  I really should get out more.

More than me, Alan. I think 'celebrity' means someone who's been on the telly nowadays. An absolute shower, no doubt, judging by last nights' transcendentally inept showing.

Yes, a bit worrying when the winner's piece de resistance was shepherd's pie with a secret ingredient....baked beans. Frankly, I wouldn't have trusted any of last night's lot to produce toast. Hope it picks up as I thought last year's winner, Matt Dawson, really showed that he could cook very well.

Hope it picks up as I thought last year's winner, Matt Dawson, really showed that he could cook very well.

He had considerable out of hours coaching and worked in a * restaurant to improve. Nothing wrong if you can get it but not as natural as it seemed.