• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Infrared grills

MGLloyd

I'm pretty sure the manual for the portable solaire says don't cook with the cover down, that may be different with the bigger versions since the portable's lid is rather thin steel. I would probably give the roasted chicken a try though, on low, keeping a close eye.

Msk

• 4 months later...

I've had a TEC 36" grill for 10 years and really like it. It's one of the old ones without the glass. Really hot surface which takes time to get accustomed to. Started off with great seared meats, but raw inside. Cooking burgers, et al takes low heat after an initial sear. Once you learn it, just great. I've used it to smoke pastrami, turkeys, and rotisserie chickens.

The downside is that the company had poorly responsive to parts, etc and the cost is high (>$3500). I don't use it with a tank so I'm not sure how much gas it uses.

Just got a Wolf for inside with the infrared burner. Looks like a mini version of the TEC, but only one heat setting (high) and recommended for searing only. I called Wolf and asked if they modify it with temp adjusting and they said emphatically - no. Oh well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I am thinking about buying Char-Broil Patio Bistro

I am looking for feedback please. Its been several years since this topic's last post and hopefully our community has more to say.

My specific questions are:

1. I want to get an electric powered unit. Will it heat as high as a gas powered one?

2. Will food cooked on it have that unique barbecue griledl taste?

3. How does the porcelain coated surface clean differently (if at all) than the steel?

Thanks.....steve

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

I am looking for feedback please. Its been several years since this topic's last post and hopefully our community has more to say.

1. I want to get an electric powered unit. Will it heat as high as a gas powered one?

3. How does the porcelain coated surface clean differently (if at all) than the steel?

Thanks.....steve

We've had one for a couple of years in overall like it quite a bit.

1. It won't get quite as high as some of the big gas units but it certainly gets hot enough for normal grilling. We've had up to 600°+/-.

2. Oh yes the food definately tastes grilled, actually in my opinion it tastes better than a gas grill.

3. Once you season the grate it behaves about the same, one advantage is it will not rust.

Another advantage is that it's very easy to set and maintain a temperature. A disadvantage is obviously is has a relatively small cooking area also very adequate in most cases unless you're having a large party.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

1. No.

2. Yes. (After the grill seasons a bit. And, you can always throw in some wood chips.)

3. No idea -- I've only used stainless.

I've been grilling with infrared since the TEC Patio II came out. I prefer the "ceramic plate with a million little holes drilled in it, upside-down salamander" to the newer models. The newer infrared grills feature a glass or metal barrier over the gas flame. (Google "Holland Grill" for information about this old "new" technology.) They are more efficient, but don't get as hot as the older style.

BUT...

I use infrared for one thing only -- grilling steaks. My only concern is "how hot does it get?" I cook a steak so quickly, there isn't time for a lot of moisture loss.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, the Char-Broil in question looks like an efficient way to grill, but don't expect to emulate Ruth's Chris with it. Reviews of this one are awfully spotty. The people who love it, love it. But there are a lot of complaints about the electric heating elements.

What you haven't mentioned is what you want out of the grill.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks.....steve

I can't speak to the electric model, but my son wanted the gas model for his housewarming present and he loves it.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

1. No.

2. Yes. (After the grill seasons a bit. And, you can always throw in some wood chips.)

3. No idea -- I've only used stainless.

I've been grilling with infrared since the TEC Patio II came out. I prefer the "ceramic plate with a million little holes drilled in it, upside-down salamander" to the newer models. The newer infrared grills feature a glass or metal barrier over the gas flame. (Google "Holland Grill" for information about this old "new" technology.) They are more efficient, but don't get as hot as the older style.

BUT...

I use infrared for one thing only -- grilling steaks. My only concern is "how hot does it get?" I cook a steak so quickly, there isn't time for a lot of moisture loss.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, the Char-Broil in question looks like an efficient way to grill, but don't expect to emulate Ruth's Chris with it. Reviews of this one are awfully spotty. The people who love it, love it. But there are a lot of complaints about the electric heating elements.

What you haven't mentioned is what you want out of the grill.

Thanks everyone who posted so far.

I would like to cook streaks, marinated ribs, burgers, franks and fish. I have a tennis racket looking thing with which I can put the fish into and cook with it on top of the grill top.

I will use it only occasionally, say 2 x a month. I want something with very low maintenance. Which is one of the reasons I'm thinking not to use propane.

I see on Amazon that there are 1/2 a many 1 stars as 5. Makes me nervous.

An aside, I've always wondered with reviews, especially ones with very close review dates, how people can see things so differently?

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

I've always wondered with reviews, especially ones with very close review dates, how people can see things so differently?

I've often wondered this also but I firmly believe that is because of people's expectations when they purchase something. If it doesn't do what you expected to you give it a bad rating if it does you give it a good one. Unless there's a specific problem with the unit which is normally explained it's just based on expectations.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

• 3 years later...

First off, I speaking about a BBQ that has one of those ceramic honeycomb burners, similar to those rotisserie burners situated on the back wall of the BBQ.

I have a Napoleon grill, which looks like a table-top BBQ or one that might be found on a boat.

http://www.napoleongrills.com/grills/product-details/productid/30/ccd/en-ca/freestyle%E2%84%A2-portable-gas-grill-with-infrared-bottom-burner

This grill works really well for steaks etc, not so much for slower/indirect cooking (I have a regular grill for that). Additionally there is not a lot of cooking area available.

Bottom line, I've found this unit produces the best steaks that I've had at home. I'm talking about standard grocery style steaks, not 1 1/2 inch slabs of beef that require a sear, then finishing in an oven. Generally 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side and it's good to go (rare to medium/rare). This grill produces temperatures greater than standard propane grills and most charcoal grills. It is pricey ($360+) compared with standard grills.

Has anyone else used this grill or one with similar properties and what has been your experience?

p

^^Yes, apparently one company held the patent until it expired in 2000, not sure if it was Solaire.

@dcharh It does what it does well. A lot of steakhouses claim to fame is their ability to sear at much higher temperatures than usually attainable at home, Ruth's Chris for example. I did mention that thick steaks (roasts?) were not suitable for this grill, I think though that a lot of home grillers are using grocery style steaks which are ideally suited to this style of grill.

It would be good to hear from people who actually have used an infared bbq and there experiences/impressions.

p

My current favorite way to cook steak is to sous vide to target internal temperature an hour or two (depending on the cut), then throw on a 1/2" thick baking steel for a minute per side. Get the steel as hot as possible on the most powerful stovetop burner, and its thermal mass will barely notice the steak.

http://www.bakingsteel.com/shop/the-big

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

I have the tiny Solaire, and it does what it's supposed to do... which is: get SCREAMING hot

which makes it perfect for a post sous vide instant sear, if you want to go through the trouble (and weather permitting!)

http://www.rasmussen.biz/store/products.asp?cat=32

http://solairegasgrills.com/products/infrared-gas-grills/

but high heat searing and grilling is ALL it does...

you can;t even close the lid while cooking or its intense heat will warp it!, so no slow cooking or semi-roasting.

it's like a restaurant grill.

if you like that 800 degree F steak (with the obvious temp gradient layers) then it's great at that.

I personally haven't done a steak on it since I got an immersion circulator.

Edited by weedy (log)

Regarding sous vide vs infared, I don't think infared can come close to sous vide in terms of precision or consistency and sous vide will handle those thick slabs of meat. But in terms of convenience and time I think the infared grill has the edge

p

As an aside I've just been placing seasoned frozen steak over coals built in the chimney starter. Place the grate over it and instant hibachi. Good for 1-2 steaks. Or one large T-bone. Cooks 10-12 minutes a side and/or to temp with an indwelling probe.

Previous topic can be found here -- http://forums.egullet.org/topic/103163-infrared-grills/ -- along with several comments by yours truly.

Still own one, kind of a one-trick pony, but I still use it regularly and like it...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

• 4 years later...

Old post for an old poster 

I've moved into the world of IR grilling.  Purchased a used TEC Sterling II grill with ceramic burners.  Having some fun with a really hot grill

Was not in the best of shape.  Needed a lot of clean up but new ignitor and pilot tube along with new knobs has it working and looking quite well

• Like 3

We have had our MHP Hybrid Grill (https://www.mhpgrills.com/grills/infrared/) since September 2007, and other than replacing some minor parts in 2015, it has been a great grill. We use the searing unit to finish steaks, etc. after cooking them Sous Vide.

• Like 1