• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasture Cakes

I bought these at the asian market thinking they were Pandan Cakes. Turns out they are made with dried powdered cow pasture grass. Nevertheless they were yummy.

Of course the first thing I thought of when reading this Topic Title was Cow Pies! :biggrin:

I bought these at the asian market thinking they were Pandan Cakes. Turns out they are made with dried powdered cow pasture grass. Nevertheless they were yummy.

Of course the first thing I thought of when reading this Topic Title was Cow Pies! :biggrin:

Well, I thought Cow Pies, too but not those :wacko:

btw: Is Pandan Cake sort of a generic name for any cake containing an ingredient with chlorophyll?

And just what did a cake containing powdered cow pasture grass taste like? :huh:

SB (has never seen cow pasture grass sans cow patties :hmmm: )

btw: Is Pandan Cake sort of a generic name for any cake containing an ingredient with chlorophyll?

And just what did a cake containing powdered cow pasture grass taste like? :huh:

SB (has never seen cow pasture grass sans cow patties :hmmm: )

No, Pandan is a tropical leaf, supposedly tastes like hay.

The Pasture cake tasted like Hay too...

:::shrug:::

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

SRHCB?

Just so you dont think Im joking with the Pandan/Hay thing:

Sensory quality

The leaves's aroma is distinct and hard to describe, somewhat nutty, reminiscent to fresh hay and definitely pleasant. A similar scent is found in some aromatic rice varieties grown in South East Asia (e.g., Thai jasmine rice).

The scent of pandanus leaves develops only on withering; the fresh, intact plants hardly have any odour.

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Pand_ama.html

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

SRHCB?

Just so you dont think Im joking with the Pandan/Hay thing:

Actually, as a result of your post I did quite a bit of reading about Pandan via Google. (there wasn't much info on Pasture Cakes) I found lots of recipes, and it does seem like Pandan is used more for its aromatic quality and coloring ability than flavor.

I notice that in many locales Pandan is used in the Moon Cakes baked to celebrate the Moon Cake Festival, which is an interesting topic in itself.

The "hay" flavor doesn't seem like an attractive feature to most of us, but it's certainly not the only SE Asian food we find unusual.

SB (and Pasture Cake really is a funny name :wink: )

My local Filipino store has a variety of pandan-flavor items, including pandan extract (smells delicious--perhaps a blend of hazelnuts and almonds; don't detect hay...) and cookies. I use the extract in biscotti.

My local Filipino store has a variety of pandan-flavor items, including pandan extract (smells delicious--perhaps a blend of hazelnuts and almonds; don't detect hay...) and cookies. I use the extract in biscotti.

Good! I ordered some imported McCormick Pandan extracts.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

piz090.jpg

the juice of fresh pandan leaves is extracted to make this cake, commonly known as Pandan Chiffon Cake. .

the pastry shown in the 1st post is also known ( to us ) as Taiwanese pineapple pastry ( feng li su ) flavour with wheat grass.

peony

Yeah, but I think I could have done without the image, thankyouverymuch  :hmmm:

But, back to Pasture Cakes...........

As in, "You make a great chicken adobo honey, but I just can't get pasture cakes?"

:cool:

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

I bought the exact box of Pasture Cakes outside of Oakland, Calif. last year at a huge pan-Asian supermarket. I was disappointed to discover that, unlike the photo depicting a gooey, moist center, these were quite dry and crumbly. Maybe they were old.

They tasted like shortbread filled with a sweetened essence of hay.