• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

recipe for that orange spicy sauce on sushi

zoe b

I didn't post about this in the Japan section because I wonder if it's really Japanese or more American Japanese--

but I was out for sushi last night with friends and we were discussing how you make this--my guess is that it's just mayo with some asian chili saice in it--anyone have a recipe for it?

Zoe

It's a mixture of mayonnaise, Sriracha sauce (Asian chili sauce -- the most common brand is Huy Fong, made by a company in California, and has a green rooster on its plastic bottle), and a little tobiko (flying fish roe). No recipe: mix quantities to taste.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

It's a mixture of mayonnaise, Sriracha sauce (Asian chili sauce -- the most common brand is Huy Fong, made by a company in California, and has a green rooster on its plastic bottle), and a little tobiko (flying fish roe). No recipe: mix quantities to taste.

That's what I do, with much success. I started with this recipe and tweaked from there.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

It uses, mayonnaise, tabasco, and schimici togarashi.

Tabasco AND shichimi togarashi?! :blink: I can feel the burn already.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large