• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktail Questions

kalypso

I purchased a cocktail book yesterday that was published in the U.K. The book was complete with glorious full color photos of almost every drink and I can hardly wait to try a lot of them. However, there were 3 ingredients that I didn't recognize and could use some assistance. Since this book is a British import I am not sure that it may not just be a terminology problem on my part between American English and British English. So can anyone help me out?

Jaggery - I actually recognize this name but don't really know what it is

Perry - This was used as a mixer and almost always used in drinks that contained Poire William. My guess was that perhaps it was another name for Perrier, but somehow I don't think that's probably quite right.

Lemonade - I know in some parts of the world lemon/lime soda like 7-Up is referred to as lemonade. Is this the case in the U.K.? Lemonade in the drink recipes was used as a mixer, so would it be more likely to be 7-Up or American-style lemonade with lemons, water and sugar? I tried to get a clue from those fabulous photos but had mixed results; some of them looked clear with some carbonation, others appeared opaque and did not appear to have much carbonation.

My inquiring minds thanks you all in advance for your replies

Someone else can better explain jaggery and lemonade, but perry is to pears as cider is to apples. In the US, I believe Woodchuck and Ace both make them (labeled as "pear cider"). Ace's is very good -- Woodchuck's isn't one of their better ciders, but I think it'd be fine as a mixer.

Jaggery is a type of Indian unrefined sugar.

It is often, though not exclusively palm sugar.

You should be able to find it in an Indian Food store.

If you don't have an Indian Grocery nearby, use piloncillo from the Mexican section of your grocery (or a Latin American store.) I've also seen Loaf and Palm Sugar for sale at Chinese Markets. These would work too.

Jaggery (wikipedia link)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Lemonade - I know in some parts of the world lemon/lime soda like 7-Up is referred to as lemonade.  Is this the case in the U.K.?  Lemonade in the drink recipes was used as a mixer, so would it be more likely to be 7-Up or American-style lemonade with lemons, water and sugar?  I tried to get a clue from those fabulous photos but had mixed results; some of them looked clear with some carbonation, others appeared opaque and did not appear to have much carbonation.

I'm not 100% sure but my experience from working in a bar from time to time here (in Paris but serving lots of English people) and living with someone from the UK is that is that lemonade is basically 7-up in UK speak. I'll confirm that and get back to you on it though.

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

Thanks everyone, you've been a big help and I'm ready now to put my bartender hat on and get shaking, or stirring as the case may be.

By the way, what book is it?

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

By the way, what book is it?

It's called 1001 Cocktails-1001 recipes for the perfect drink

It's published by Paragon Publishing and no author is listed anywhere in the book. It was originally published in the UK in 2004, my copy says it was a second run published in 2006. It's not exactly a coffee table book, but it's not far from it.

I had stopped in my local BBQ Galore to buy a gas grill. They were out-of-stock on the grill I wanted so I bought this book instead...and saved about $700 :laugh: The book is remarkably well photographed. That and a desire to change up my drinking habits this summer were all the motivation I needed to buy it.