• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Megumi

Randi

I got a menu in the mail a few weeks ago for Megumi in Metuchen. The dishes sounded fresh and interesting (the Chinese dishes, that is. I don't appreciate Japanese cuisine as much).

We went today for lunch which is served until 4 on Saturday! I got an order of shrimp shu mai (not bad) crab rangoon (good) hot and sour soup (excellent) and black pepper beef with vegetable fried rice. I finished it off with creamy sweet mango ice cream.

The beef dish was delicious, the sauce peppery and the veggies (onion, green and red pepper, fresh mushroom, broccoli) were fresh, crisp and really tasty. The serving plates were lovely. And the decor (walls, artwork) was really pretty. But the chairs were lacking. They were fine, but didn't seem to complement the rest of the decor.

I love this place. The food is fresh and well prepared. I am dying to go back to try: crispy duck rolls, szechuan water dumplings, chicken with fresh basil, grand marnier shrimp, crispy whole fish, soft shell crab, coconut chicken, and so much more.

Here is a little story I found about Megumi online.

Sorry for the quality of the pics below - I only had my cell phone camera with me.

gallery_3179_4697_30263.jpg

Hot and Sour Soup

gallery_3179_4697_1870.jpg

Shrimp Shu Mai (I had dipped one before thinking to take a pic)

gallery_3179_4697_12312.jpg

Crab Rangoon

gallery_3179_4697_49670.jpg

Black Pepper Beef and Vegetable Fried Rice (sorry, blurry pic)

gallery_3179_4697_27119.jpg

Mango Ice Cream

Megumi

12 Center Street

Metuchen

732-494-5003

Edited by Randi (log)

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

what kind of phone do you have?  those are ridiculously good pics for a camera phone!

It's a Razr but I did perk 'em up in Photoshop. I thought they came out pretty good too!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

We went back again today, this time I brought a real camera. The food here is SO fresh and well prepared. We'll be going often.

gallery_3179_4697_32906.jpg

Egg Drop Soup. I prefer their hot and sour but this was a good rendition.

gallery_3179_4697_31247.jpg

Szechuan Water Dumplings. Amazing! Pork-filled and served in a peanut sauce, these were the star of the meal.

gallery_3179_4697_23691.jpg

My friend got the Black Pepper Chicken. Very fresh, very well prepared. She had gotten it last week too, and wanted it again.

gallery_3179_4697_85706.jpg

I tried their General Tso's Chicken. It was perfectly crisp and all white meat but the sauce was a little too sticky and sweet for me.

gallery_3179_4697_28238.jpg

Just a closeup of my pork fried rice.

Has anyone else been to Megumi?

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'm the only one eating at Megumi! Oh well.

I went for dinner the other evening. They brought out stale, inferior crispy noodles with duck sauce. Pass. I asked for hot mustard and they brought out some very hot, but watered down mustard. At lunch time they'd brought me full strength and it was great.

They also brought out a plate of emamame. Totally delicious.

We got soup. My dinner partner got Seafood Miso soup and he enjoyed it very much. Lots of seafood in it. I got the Velvet Corn with Crabmeat soup. It was good, but I am not sure if the shredded seafood was pollack and not crab.

We shared the Szechuan Water Dumplings. My faves.

He chose the 2 entrees to share (it was his birthday). He picked Black Pepper Chicken (a proven favorite from my previous visits) and Pan Fried Noodles with Seafood. The noodles were great - partially crispy and the part in the sauce got softer. So a nice mix. The seafood was scallops, jumbo shrimp and lobster tail (2 nice sized pieces - half tails, I'd say). The veggies were fresh and tasty. There were pieces of daikon radish (at least I think it was that) which added a lot to the dish.

There is still a lot I am looking forward to trying.

• 3 weeks later...

Been back several times and want to post about some dishes that I would never get again.

First - the grand marnier shrimp. A (literal) mountain of gigantic shrimp which were thickly breaded and covered in a thick creamy white sickeningly sweet sauce, with 2 cherries stuck in it.

Really bad.

Also, I would avoid the pom pom chicken appetizer. It was tough, tasted boiled and the sauce was sparce.

Beef with asparagus was ordinary. Boneless spareribs appetizer way too sweet (and wasn't what we ordered - we asked for regular spare ribs.)

I think the honeymoon is over. :raz: