• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blinis in Bath is to close

Just thought you'd like to hear the news that Blinis is being sold off by the hotel company that owns it.

Here is ze info:

Top restaurant in Bath goes on market

Leading licensed property agents, Christie & Co, have just been instructed to market a unique culinary business in the World Heritage City of Bath.

“Blinis” was only launched last November and has since been recognised as one of the leading Restaurants in the UK. Head Chef, Martin Blunos, formerly of Lettonie Restaurant in Bath, retained his coveted 2 Michelin Star rating for Blinis and has expanded the operation from just a Restaurant to also a Café Bar and Deli selling top class gourmet goods.

One of the principal attractions of Blinis is its unrivalled location in the City; adjacent to the world famous Pulteney Bridge with stunning views on both floors over the River and wier.

The decision to sell Blinis has been taken by Chase Hotels Ltd, who also own its sister operation Duke’s Hotel in nearby Great Pulteney Street. Speaking for the organisation, Philippa Hughes explained the reason why;

“We have been delighted with the response to our first Restaurant venture which was prompted by the closure of Lettonie Restaurant last Summer and the desire to enable Martin Blunos to have an outlet for his renowned culinary genius. Although not the best months to be trading a new venture in Bath, we have also been pleased to see the business so quickly into profit.

Chase Hotels has however decided to concentrate all its efforts on the continued success of its core business, hotels, and the future expansion is aimed in this direction, leaving no room for such an individual style of business as Blinis.”

Fans of Mr Blunos will be delighted to learn that after a successful series of trial “gourmet dinners” at other Chase Hotels in Exeter and on Dartmoor, he will be alternating his time between the existing three hotel restaurants and bringing his unique style of cooking to a wider geographical audience.

Blinis underwent total refurbishment last autumn with beautifully appointed interiors and newly equipped kitchens.

Blinis is for sale as a going concern with offers invited for the leasehold in the region of £99,000. John Harrision of the Bristol office of Christie & Co is handling the sale.

shame about Blinis. Letonnie was really special. Had the best dinner of my life there last February. It seems as even though he will be alternating between these 3 hotels, his individual style will be eaten up by the greedy hotel business who will have him creating 24 hour "gourmet" room service menus. Sad.

...."even though he will be alternating between these 3 hotels, his individual style will be eaten up by the greedy hotel business who will have him creating 24 hour "gourmet" room service menus..."

Don't cry for Martin Blunos or his customers - this 'alternating' shtick is probably just temporary, a chef that good will find backers who will let him do his own thing, if he wants it.

Don't cry for Martin Blunos or his customers - this 'alternating' shtick is probably just temporary, a chef that good will find backers who will let him do his own thing, if he wants it.

Sadly, just not true. Viz, Eric Chavot. An outstanding chef, but ingenuous. Consequently he's been shafted more times than Joan Collins. I suspect Blunos is cut from similar cloth.

Sadly, just not true. Viz, Eric Chavot. An outstanding chef, but ingenuous. Consequently he's been shafted more times than Joan Collins. I suspect Blunos is cut from similar cloth.

Get shafted once, you're a victim. Get shafted more than once, you're an idiot. I am not famiiliar with Eric Chavot's situation but if he was that good- and smart about it- I suspect he would not have allowed himself to be shafted. On the other hand, some people want to be shafted- we should not cry for them either.

Get shafted once, you're a victim. Get shafted more than once, you're an idiot.  I am not famiiliar with Eric Chavot's situation but if he was that good- and smart about it-  I suspect he would not have allowed himself to be shafted. On the other hand, some people want to be shafted- we should not cry for them either.

From the unsympathetic tone of your post it would seem that you like your chefs to be business-savvy rather than kitchen-savvy. Personally, I value what they produce not how much money they can make, but then, you are an American.

"From the unsympathetic tone of your post it would seem that you like your chefs to be business-savvy rather than kitchen-savvy. Personally, I value what they produce not how much money they can make, but then, you are an American."

Sorry? I really don't know what this has to do with being American, but..as we Americans would say: what-*ever*.

I'm hearing you say that Eric Chavot, as "Everychef", is in a kitchen that in some way doesn't "deserve" him, that he has been screwed in some way. If he's great - and on the other thread there are no doubt going to be many definitions of what makes a chef/restaurant 'great' - then he can get "un-screwed": find another kitchen that *does* deserve him.

To take your argument to its extreme conclusion...it's OK for someone to do their job (cook) really well at the expense of, well, all expenses, and run the place into the ground, thereby screwing the very people who foot the bill - but as long as he keeps turning out great food - it doesn't so much matter that there will be no money to pay the landlord, the employees, the suppliers. So the place will eventually go under and everyone associated with the place will be either unemployed or in debt or out of pocket - including that poor, misunderstood and mistreated chef.

I'm not being unsympathetic - as mentioned, I am not familiar with Eric Chavot. And I value a good restaurant as much as you. But I would like my valued restaurant not to close due to mismanagement, so it's there for a long time for me to enjoy.

..as mentioned, I am not familiar with Eric Chavot

Eric Chavot is head chef at the excellent two-star Capital...so I guess he is probably pretty happy at the moment....he wandered around various one-star gaffes, the most famous being interludes de chavot in Charlotte Street (now some horrible pink ethnic restaurant) where an episodes of Friends was filmed.

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

"It appears that Blinis will not be closing immediately, the intention is apparently to remain open until the restaurant is sold. (Which could of course be tomorrow or next year!)."

which is why it says "going concern" in the press release I posted :raz:

Indeed, in which case the title of the topic, should be Blinis in Bath for sale (as a going concern) . :rolleyes: In the short-term at least this does give an opportunity to visit the restaurant while Martin Blunos is still coooking there.

(As a side issue what defines the sale of the restaurant as a going concern? The only thing that makes it 'go' is the presence of Martin Blunos).

Paul