• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Great Eateries of Novi, MI

Naftal

:cool: O.K-It is a tough job, but someone must do it: spread the word about the wonderful places here. First, my favorite place for Chinese-American food is China Cafe. The chef really knows his stuff and the staff is very friendly. They have weekly specials which are wonderful. Usually,in fact, there are two specials and one is often a fish dish. The one I had was very good. Other personal favorites are the lo mein dishes and their Empress Chicken (made witha thick garlic sauce). They also do mapo tofu, which is what I would recommend for anyone who thinks they don't like tofu.Also, they have an extensive list of wines that can be had by the glass and a wide selection of oriental alcohols.

My second spot is Steve and Rocky's. Some of you may be familiar with Chef Rocky's magic.Let me rave about Chef Steve Allen. He worked under Milos Cihelka and helped run The Golden Mushroom when Chef Cihelka retired. Steve and Rock's makes the mushroom soup perfected by Milos. They also have excellant duck, and a raw oyster appetizer that offers an interesting variety of these tiny treasures.

That's it for now. Any comments?

Edited by Naftal (log)

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

::sigh::

I'm kind of down on Novi ever since Ny's Thai Cafe changed ownership, and I miss Pany...*badly*. It's hard to get my gumption up to drive all the way out there from Ferndale for much less. I agree about Steve & Rocky's, though. That place basically does the impossible in my eyes: it has made redemptive the location that formerly was a (::shudder::) Fuddruckers.

Thank heaven they redeemed the location itself.

Edited by boagman (log)

::sigh::

I'm kind of down on Novi ever since Ny's Thai Cafe changed ownership, and I miss Ni...*badly*. It's hard to get my gumption up to drive all the way out there from Ferndale for much less. I agree about Steve & Rocky's, though. That place basically does the impossible in my eyes: it has made redemptive the location that formerly was a (::shudder::) Fuddruckers.

Thank heaven they redeemed the location itself.

China Cafe is in the same strip-mall that was home to Ny's. It might be worth the drive from Ferndale to check them out.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

OH- I did not

mention that China Cafe does some interesting Korean-style food too. If you are interested in going beyond kimchee, try it out.

Can you tell I love this place? :wub:

OH- I did not

mention that  China Cafe does some interesting Korean-style food too. If you are interested in going beyond kimchee, try it out.

Hmm. Well, it's hard for me to get up the gumption to drive all the way out there (approx. 30 minutes) for, well...Chinese. I guess my experience with most Chinese places is that there really isn't much differentiation between one and the next. Exceptions, of course, can be made (and some are quite nice), but it'd have to be something really exceptional to get me to drive back to Ny's neighborhood for Chinese food.

Any recommended dishes?

OH- I did not

mention that  China Cafe does some interesting Korean-style food too. If you are interested in going beyond kimchee, try it out.

Hmm. Well, it's hard for me to get up the gumption to drive all the way out there (approx. 30 minutes) for, well...Chinese. I guess my experience with most Chinese places is that there really isn't much differentiation between one and the next. Exceptions, of course, can be made (and some are quite nice), but it'd have to be something really exceptional to get me to drive back to Ny's neighborhood for Chinese food.

Any recommended dishes?

Chef Kelly Chang and I both feel that the best thing is for you to go there and tell him the kind of food you like. After asking you a few questions, Chef Chang will be able to fix you up with the perfect dish. Suggesting food is like suggesting books or movies, the fact I lilke it does not guarantee you will like it. Different people have different tasts. That's what makes this whole food thing so fun :laugh:

Edited by Naftal (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I just added a couple clients in/near Novi. Will have to try these.

With the large Middle Eastern immigrant community I'm partial to that cuisine, in/near Novi is La Shish as well as Kabobgy which is in the huge gaudy restaurant that looks like Tony Soprano built it.

--

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

I just added a couple clients in/near Novi. Will have to try these.

With the large Middle Eastern immigrant community I'm partial to that cuisine, in/near Novi is La Shish as well as Kabobgy which is in the huge gaudy restaurant that looks like Tony Soprano built it.

--

I realize that Oak Park,MI is not near Novi, but it is home to my favorite Middle Eastern place: at Coolidge and 9 Mile is a Chaldean resturant called New Sahara( I don't remember if there is an "h" at the end). Everytime I go there, I think of the best stuff I had in Jerusalem.

Has anyone tried Shiro? I can't remember where in Novi it is, but I have been past it a few times when it first opened. The building is beautiful but I don't know anyone into Japanese cuisine so I didn't want to go alone.

I went to Shiro two summers ago for a wedding. I don't know what the typical menu is like but the food was very good- They had both sushi and french inspired lamb I believe as well as side dishes that were japanese inspired. I wouldn't call it a true Japanese restaurant, though it was tasty and the old mansion was a lovely setting for a wedding.

-Kelly

Naftal,

Sahara is my favorite Chaldean restaurant. I was just there 3 weeks ago and have been going there for over 20 years (when I was in town, that is). There is a nice Chaldean grocery store next door too where I got some awesome turshi (mixed vegetable pickles) and other foods. I'm plotting my next visit for both actually. :)

I went to Shiro two summers ago for a wedding.  I don't know what the typical menu is like but the food was very good- They had both sushi and french inspired lamb I believe as well as side dishes that were japanese inspired.  I wouldn't call it a true Japanese restaurant, though it was tasty and the old mansion was a lovely setting for a wedding.

-Kelly

Naftal,

Sahara is my favorite Chaldean restaurant. I was just there 3 weeks ago and have been going there for over 20 years (when I was in town, that is).  There is a nice Chaldean grocery store next door too where I got some awesome turshi (mixed vegetable pickles) and other foods.  I'm plotting my next visit for both actually. :)

I know the Chaldean grocery (Kashat) :biggrin: they have the best olive-bar I have ever seen.

Yes, Shiro is a Japanese-French fussion restaurant. My favorite Japanese palace in Novi is Happy Sushi at 10 Mile and Meadowbrook. They don't do sushi alone, they do many other Japanese dishes,too. They do amazing soups and they do zorasoba(sp?) in a classic presentation :wub: The sushi is classic too. Yes they have the ever-present rice-wrapped in sea-weed but they have the wonderful stuff, an incredable slice of fish(they have many types) on rice. This is where the local Japanese community goes :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
I realize that Oak Park,MI is not near Novi, but it is home to my favorite Middle Eastern place: at  Coolidge and 9 Mile is a Chaldean resturant called New Sahara( I don't remember if there is an "h" at the end). Everytime I go there, I think of the best stuff I had in Jerusalem.

The Sahara restaurant has the fantastic fattoush. Pita Cafe, also in Oak Park on Greenfield and the 696 service drive has really good lentil soup, fresh baked pitas and chicken schwarma.

The Chaldean market next to the Sahara has homemade laban that's decadent and the little breads they make - 4 for a dollar are addictive.

• 2 weeks later...

Boy, was I pleased to see a Novi thread. I will be in the area Labor Day weekend for a wedding (staying at the Crowne Plaza). I will have a car. Arriving Saturday at 5 pm at Detroit airport and off to Novi. Looking for something nice for Saturday night dinner for me and the wife either in Novi or en route from the airport, but nothing that will require a jacket/tie. Also need recs for Sunday breakfast, brunch and/or lunch in Novi area. Any cuisine will do. TIA.

I second Naftal's recommendation of Steve & Rocky's. I've been there only once, but I enjoyed it immensely. The chef/owners have a stellar background in the field.

One the way to/from the airport, just off the Ford Rd. exit on I-275, there's an Indian restaurant I like very much, Ashoka. I think they're open for Sunday lunch, but I'd call to make sure.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

:biggrin:

I second Naftal's recommendation of Steve & Rocky's. I've been there only once, but I enjoyed it immensely. The chef/owners have a stellar background in the field.

One the way to/from the airport, just off the Ford Rd. exit on I-275, there's an Indian restaurant I like very much, Ashoka. I think they're open for Sunday lunch, but I'd call to make sure.

:biggrin: Thank you so much! With more people like you in these forums we could convince people that our beloved Tricounty- area is indeed a true food city :rolleyes:

Boy, was I pleased to see a Novi thread.  I will be in the area Labor Day weekend for a wedding (staying at the Crowne Plaza).  I will have a car.  Arriving Saturday at 5 pm at Detroit airport and off to Novi.  Looking for something nice for Saturday night dinner for me and the wife either in Novi or en route from the airport, but nothing that will require a jacket/tie.  Also need recs for Sunday breakfast, brunch and/or lunch in Novi area.  Any cuisine will do.  TIA.

As mentioned earlier, I would recommend Steve&Rocky's and China Cafe. If you like Japanese food, I have recommended Happy Sushi in earlier postings. They have a lot of other stuff besides classic sushi. Lastly, you said you have a car. Would you be willing to travel into the City of Detroit proper for some world-class food?

As mentioned earlier, I would recommend Steve&Rocky's and China Cafe. If you like  Japanese food, I have recommended Happy Sushi in earlier postings. They have a lot of other stuff besides classic sushi. Lastly, you said you have a car. Would you be willing to travel into the City of Detroit  proper for some world-class food?

I'll be in the City of Detroit in just 2 weeks and would much appreciate some recommendations for world-class food.

Thanks!!

As mentioned earlier, I would recommend Steve&Rocky's and China Cafe. If you like  Japanese food, I have recommended Happy Sushi in earlier postings. They have a lot of other stuff besides classic sushi. Lastly, you said you have a car. Would you be willing to travel into the City of Detroit  proper for some world-class food?

I'll be in the City of Detroit in just 2 weeks and would much appreciate some recommendations for world-class food.

Thanks!!

Where exactly will you be staying? Will you have a car?

The two "world-class" restaurants, imho -- The Lark (traditional) and Tribute (more cutting edge) are in the far NW burbs.

If you haven't already, you might want to check out this thread.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Thanks!!

In my opinion, this is the best restaurant in the City of Detroit is Traffic Jam & Snug the address is 511 West Canfield and the phone number is 313-831-9470

If you are interested in expensive quality dinning then I would suggest a place just down the street from the above mentioned place:The Whitnet Restaurant is housed in a building that origanally was the residence of lumber-baron David Whitney. It is located at 4421 Woodward and the phone number is 313-832-5700. You should call for reservations.

Please let me know which places you went to and how you liked them.

i haven't heard any mention of the rattlesnake club in a long, long time.... has anyone been there recently?

Sandy Levine
The Oakland Art Novelty Company

sandy@TheOaklandFerndale.com www.TheOaklandFerndale.com

www.facebook.com/ArtNoveltyCompany twitter: @theoakland

Traffic Jam is certainly an interesting place...doesn't really fit into any kind of fine dining experience, but their menu is always interesting. I have been for dinner twice and decided that it was more of a lunch experience.

If you are looking for a more casual experience for a day in Detroit, I would not be able to sleep at night if I didn't recommend Slows, just down the street from old Tiger Stadium on Michigan Ave. It sounds strange to come to Detroit for BBQ, but Slows is hands down some of the best bbq I have ever tasted outside of Texas.

As far as the Whitney recommendation is concerned...This is a tough thing for me to say, but I would come on the weekend for drinks. Take a tour of this beautiful house, spend a few dollars on drinks and maybe dessert, but if you are looking to drop $200 on dinner go to Tribute. It's not that their food isn't good, and the atmosphere is wonderful, I just have a hard time recommending it to a foodie. There are things on the menu that would excite you, but you will have to pick through "Classic Whitney" fare to get it. (ie, giant steaks, chicken breast, filet with mashed potato and asparagus, and a few more "Midwest" offerings the current managment required on the menu"

slows is a great recommendation... their pulled pork, brisket, and mac & cheese are as good as i've had anywhere in detroit (or san francisco or philadelphia- the other cities i've lived). it makes me want to move back. if you want to go really casual, the one universal place that 99% of detroiters agree is not to be missed would be Lafayette Coney Island. it's basically a chili dog with mustard and onions, but so, so much more.

Sandy Levine
The Oakland Art Novelty Company

sandy@TheOaklandFerndale.com www.TheOaklandFerndale.com

www.facebook.com/ArtNoveltyCompany twitter: @theoakland

Thank you all for the recommendations. We're staying at the Inn on Ferry Street and will have a car. Of course, one of our free nights is Monday, and it seems many fine dining places are closed, but I'm perusing the linked thread and I'm sure we'll come up with something. Thanks especially for the Slows recommendation. My husband is a big BBQ fan.

I'll report back.

Thanks again all!!

Thank you all for the recommendations.  We're staying at the Inn on Ferry Street and will have a car.  Of course, one of our free nights is Monday, and it seems many fine dining places are closed, but I'm perusing the linked thread and I'm sure we'll come up with something.  Thanks especially for the Slows recommendation.  My husband is a big BBQ fan.

I'll report back.

Thanks again all!!

Hey, you'll be at my old stomping grounds at Wayne State University. If you have the time, by all means don't miss visiting the Detroit Institute of Arts, just a block or two from the Inn. The Whitney is very close to you, but as you've already noted, it's closed on Mondays. However, Atlas Global Bistro, a very short ride down Woodward Ave., is open. It's not world-class, but it is very good.

Thank you all for the recommendations.  We're staying at the Inn on Ferry Street and will have a car.  Of course, one of our free nights is Monday, and it seems many fine dining places are closed, but I'm perusing the linked thread and I'm sure we'll come up with something.  Thanks especially for the Slows recommendation.  My husband is a big BBQ fan.

I'll report back.

Thanks again all!!

Hey, you'll be at my old stomping grounds at Wayne State University. If you have the time, by all means don't miss visiting the Detroit Institute of Arts, just a block or two from the Inn. The Whitney is very close to you, but as you've already noted, it's closed on Mondays. However, Atlas Global Bistro, a very short ride down Woodward Ave., is open. It's not world-class, but it is very good.

The exceptional Detroit Institute of Arts is, unfortunately, closed for an extensive remodeling until November of 07.

Edited by ruthie jewell (log)