• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RICE

since I grew up on korean rice, that's the only rice I use for all cuisines - except when I am eating out in public.  Korean rice is great, cause its similar to japanese (I use japanese rice sometimes) and it works really really well when I am making risotto.

plus I have a hard time picking up chinese rice with chopsticks, it's not sticky enough

Growing up eating the Kikuho 'Red', I vouched medium grain. Right on Sheena, the Korean, Japanese or Taiwanese rice is a great substitute for risotto but bad for paella.

Leave the gun, take the canoli

My (Chinese) mother-in-law thought I was insane buying Thai rice as it is considerably more expensive than the local Chinese stuff.

When my wife and I had to return to the UK for a few months, we gave her what was left - about 5 kilos. I could see her trying to look disapproving, but she couldn't hide her pleasure.

She still won't buy it herself, though.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Basmati and Jasmine, sitting in a tree

K-I-S-S-I-N-G

First comes loves

Then comes marriage

Then comes ... Jasmati rice, of course.

I wonder if anyone has tried it?

WOW!! after an hour reading some of the links that your link provided, I despair for the impoverished Thai Jasmine rice farmers. They are seriously and imminently threatened by Big-Ag of the US.

Call me a heretic, but I personally enjoy Nishiki brand medium-grain rice best. :)

cheers, JH

I prefer Japonica rice. I'm a heathen (after this post, I'm going into hiding).

At home, my mother usually mixes fragrant rice and ordinary long-grain, to get the best flavor without it being too sticky. Unfortunately, I like my rice sticky.

I'll say that my first love is sticky rice though. I just don't get to eat it everyday because my mother refuses to let me. She says it's unhealthy.

All of my Taiwanese family members eat medium or short grain rice so I'm from a family of heretics and heathens. :biggrin:

My favorite is to mix medium or short grain rice with a bit of sweet rice, at about one to five ratio. We loves our sticky rice. :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...
My Hawaiian godmother taught me her secret recipe for sticky Hawaiian Fried Rice and a batch of that will feed me for days...

Oh, that sounds SO good! I don't suppose you could share the recipe?

Thai jasmine fan here....

I keep a few different kinds of rice around. If stranded on a desert island...it would have to be kokuho rice.

But also buy Nashiki and I really cannot tell the difference. I also been wanting to try the heirloom variety from kokuho.

Other rice I have in my pantry are (in order of quantity):

Basmati

Jasmine

Brown (korean hwen mee variety)

Wild rice

korean purple (I don't know the name but my parent gave me a sack of it).

Goya spanish rice (I actually don't like it, been using the korean instead)

Does barley count? I sometime make barley instead of rice or mix it in with rice.

What's wrong with brown rice? LOL. Personally when I'm hungry, the fact that it's more packed with nutrients gives me more satisfaction than with plain white rice. It's also one of those rices that you can eat by itself (yea I like brown rice, so sue me)

I had alot of korean friends growing up, so once I was exposed to korean rice, I could never go back. It's just so chewy, stick, soft, and delicious. When I ate Jasmine rice again (which was the standard) it felt like I was eating sand. And god forbid long grains.

Trekking in Nepal once, someone served me a very tasty unmilled red rice - mmmm, but they apologized profusely for not serving regular white rice. Hopefully they haven't stopped growing it...

When I discovered Jasmine rice, I ate that for a few years. Then I switched my allegiance to short-grain Korean or Japanese rice. I usually add some glutenous rice to it, say 15 to 20%.

Brown rice is okay, but just like millet or barley, a nice change once in a while but not something I'd think of cooking very often.

I ate a whole watermelon today (over the course of the afternoon) - now some rice sounds good to me, to anchor me to land....

--phage

Gac

Long grain Jasmin rice with meals as I like how the grains stay separated.

Short grain for sushi.

Glutinous rice for leen yeep joong or lap mai nor mai fan.

A mix of half and half glutinous and long grain for joongzi, and some with only glutinous rice.

Basmati usually with Indian food.

Brown rice -once in a blue moon. It doesn't go well with fu yu or ham yu. :wink::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I, too, prefer how the jasmine strands stay separated.

But so many people have raved over Korean rice, and I live just 3 or 4 blocks away from a Korean grocery store - I'm willing to give Korean rice a shot. Anyone want to tell me the ratio of rice to water using a regular rice cooker? Thanks!!

korean rice is just sticky rice that is pretty similar to japanese rice

I do the wrist method for cooking korean rice in the rice cooker. Or I usually do 1 1/2 cups of water per cup of rice. When I say cup, I mean the measuring cup that comes with the rice cooker...not your standard western measuring cup

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

A mix of half and half glutinous and long grain for joongzi, and some with only glutinous rice.

I am very horrified by this. Why would you want to eat less glutinous rice?

Sticky rice tends to be very rich when boiled for two and a half hours with pork belly, lap cheung, mushrooms, ha mai, peanuts, etc, etc. The richness is not as noticeable when you mix in the long grain. I use jasmin because I love the fragrance, the texture of the rice, and this way, I can eat TWO joongzi instead of one. :raz::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

mmmmm glutinous rice is so good sometimes it tastes good all by itself

it tastes like candy

eta: how much rice do you all eat in one meal? I can usually only eat one bowl (standard rice bowl, chinese style) of rice, but my little sister always eats 2 in one sitting.

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)

I find the sheer variety of rices available quite daunting, so I'm really happy to have found this discussion. I have to keep my rice in the fridge now cause of moth problems, so I've had to winnow my selection down considerably (I have thrown out sooo much rice in the past 2 years). I mainly use jasmine rice, which is actually pretty cheap in the chinese markets I shop at. I also have a japanese style rice which I use for korean meals. I can't recall ever seeing korean rice in my markets. I like basmati a lot, too, especially for Indian food, but I don't have room for it and risotto rice, so right now I have carnaroli, but when I use that up I might get basmati again. I like brown rice, especially the short grain stuff, but I throw more of that away than any other kind.

I know how you feel with the moths in your rice. I sifted through some rice 2 days ago and found tons of eggs and larva (barf). I had to throw away about half of a 20lb bag of rice. I was so upset.

I know how you feel with the moths in your rice.  I sifted through some rice 2 days ago and found tons of eggs and larva (barf).  I had to throw away about half of a 20lb bag of rice.  I was so upset.

Just wash them out. They float.

I remember sitting with one of my friends at their flat in Cairo. Yoonhi cheerfully dug into a nice bowl of rice his Chinese wife had cooked up.

"What're you doing? Picking things out of the rice?"

"Oh, I'm just taking out the rat turds."

"No! Those are just stones!"

"No. No. Stones don't crumble like this after they're cooked." With which she gave a deft flick of the chopsticks to show how things could oft gang agly.

I wash my rice quite thoroughly.

they do float, but I have a little phobia with moth and butterfly babies so I can't just wash it out or cook them to death and eat them

I'm a wuss

I wan't one of those rice drawers, where when you pull out a drawer a portion of rice comes out. That'll keep the damn bugs out

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)

When I was living in a very remote region of New Guinea near the West Irian border supplies were dropped every month (from a helicopter :smile: ). It took me about 4 months to be able to eat the little black beetles that inhabited the rice without wanting to barf...I eventually rationalised that they must be there anyway in fresher rice, we just can't see them.

On the other topic, I ordered some AAA grade Thai jasmine rice a few months ago online (forgotten the name but I've kept the bag however I'm a few thousand miles away from it at the mom.)and it was just so delicious and superior to any rice I had eaten before and the smell of it cooking was so wonderful that I just sat over the rice cooker eating it the minute it was ready, beating off my Filipino foster son with my free hand (huge bag didn't last long. not good for figure :smile: )

I am very horrified by this. Why would you want to eat less glutinous rice?

Sticky rice tends to be very rich when boiled for two and a half hours with pork belly, lap cheung, mushrooms, ha mai, peanuts, etc, etc. The richness is not as noticeable when you mix in the long grain. I use jasmin because I love the fragrance, the texture of the rice, and this way, I can eat TWO joongzi instead of one. :raz::laugh:

Hah.

I eat TWO joongzi made with all glutinous rice.

And Sheena? The drawers only keep out moths. They don't keep out the black bugs.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

I keep my big bags of rice in the freezer. (We have a separate big freezer aside from the kitchen Refrig/freezer) No live breakouts any longer. AAMOF -- any grain or powdery stuff that I buy goes into the freezer for several days. It still doesn't keep the pantry pests down, but it helps.

I tend to eat the kind of rice that's traditional with whatever else I'm eating (basmati with Indian, jasmine with Thai, etc.), but my default rice is Japanese koshihikari.

Recently, though, I bought a bag of Japanese haigamai. This is the "germ" rice, where all of the husk has been removed, but not the germ. It was delicious! Everyone I served it to said it was the best rice they'd ever had. It was soft like white rice, but subtly nutty tasting, and kept you full much longer than white rice.

Then this week I went back and bought another bag of the exact same thing, and it's horrible! Kind of mushy and feedy tasting. I'm so disappointed and perplexed. Has anyone else ever tried this rice?