• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Torakris on tv today (Japan only)

I am sorry I haven't posted earlier about this!!

The show is Ufufunopu and will start at 8:30am and runs until 10:00, we will be on for a 15 minute spot but am unsure of what time exactly. It runs on Fuji (channel 8) here in kanto but was produced by Kansai TV so it maybe running there as well.

They had me prepare some dishes which the comedian Hosshan tastes and the rest of it is focused on daughter Julia (age 9) making a bento (her first) for her father).

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I'm at work today ("volunteer" work, since I don't get paid, but it's really work since I *have* to be here), so I set my timer to tape the whole thing! At least I hope I'm taping it...the TV guide (English) says "Info/Variety" with no real title.

Thanks for watching!

Rona,

It is on from 9:10 to 9:30 so you can skip the first 40 minutes. :biggrin:

It is hard to believe that 20 minute piece took 3 days of filming and 2 days of planning but it was really a lot of fun.

Sorry for the late announcement, I just had LASIK eye surgery done and I am supposed to refrain from staring at computer screens for the next couple days...

For the past 3 weeks I have been wearing my glasses that have a 10 year old prescription and was getting headaches a lot so I haven't been online much.

I have tons of pictures to upload and many things to discuss but I am going to let my eyes rest for the weekend.

Kansai TV said they are sending some pictures to me, hopefully they have one of the bento since I forgot to take one. :blink: If I can figure out how to work my scanner I will get a picture up.

I'm so glad that I woke up a little early and managed to check my e-mail! I just saw the segment and loved it! :wub: Your children are all so cute and she did a great job.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Darn! I was busy doing sentaku this morning and didn't get to email until just now.

Will they also send you a tape/DVD of the segment, Chris? I'm certain the grandparents will want to see it.

When my daughter was on Inai! Inai! Baa! last year, we recorded all the episodes and sent an edited "Best of..." DVD to my folks. They don't understand a word of Japanese but I'm fairly certain they memorized the theme song from having watched the DVD so many times!

I just got home and rewound the tape (to almost the exact spot) right away to watch. That bento looked awesome! I loved the fried spam surfboard, and the fried egg sun (I hope she fried that egg in all the grease leftover from the spam--that would have made it freakin' awesome!).

Question, in the picture Julia drew, the waves were going to be made of nori, but then they were made of eggplant--how was the change decided? (my Japanese sucks, as you know, so I couldn't figure out if it had been mentioned)

Your children are as cute as I remember--Julia looks exactly the same, though taller, but I can't believe how much Hide has grown! And Mia, too! She looks so much older now!

Well done to you and Julia (did you really not tag along for the bento reveal, or were you hiding in the background somewhere?).

There was actually a week between when we drew the picture and the bento was made so we made some changes that were just skipped over and not really mentioned.

They didn't show the one other item that I thought was also a nice Hawaiian touch, the pork seasoned with soy sauce then rolled around a piece of pineapple and cooked. :biggrin:

Bruce,

I am really sorry I didn't mention it sooner. The director called yesterday and said he will mail a DVD but to show my parents this summer I am adding it to the DVD we made of my two recent appearances on Okusama wa Gaigokjin and my husband's appearance on NHK later this month.

I forgot, I didn't tag along :blink: We finished making the bento later than we planned. It was close to 1:30 when we finished and I needed to be home when Mia and Hide came home from school, Julia had taken the day off...

By the way they didn't really ride the train, they just filmed them doing that. They walked right back out of the station and went off in the TV van...

Hosshan caused quite a clamor wherever he went they had to stop the filming quite a few times. On the first day of filming we had about 20 some neighborhood kids waiting outside our front door for autographs and pictures. :biggrin:

I, nor my children, had never heard of the guy before this but he was really a lot of fun.

I was also disappointed they didn't show all the food I made, they asked me to prepare nikujyaga and a couple other dishes. I made a really wonderful goya shira-ae and some orange-cranberry biscotti, all of which Hosshan ate.

Ah, I called up Hiromi to let her know about the show, but she was busy preparing for a day that involved both cheering at a game and attending a wedding... I think we were talking just around the time that you came on, so I suspect she missed it...

How's the recovery from Lasik surgery?

Edited by JasonTrue (log)

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Kris, I'm sorry we can't see this here in the U.S. Best wishes to you on a speedy and complete recovery from your surgery!

Michael aka "Pan"

I watched this totally by chance. and had one of those "uhhh, this is really strange, am I dreaming?" moments. I was convinced that it wasn't you but then I went on egullet and looked at your pictures again and sure enough. very surreal.