• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Really Small Wineries: Business in a Barn

Rebel Rose

I was interviewed today by a national news publication about my winery blog, and as the reporter and I were talking, we got onto the topic of being small and creative, even a driving force, yet operating from a rustic little barn.

A bit off topic, but what immediately came to mind for me is the young couple that bought my grandparents' historic home in Washington State. Mark and Kari Winsor are one of the driving inventive forces in flat and flexible screen illumination technology, which you are probably using right now. They have converted an old horse barn on the property into their workshop.

I used this example to explain what a 'garagiste' is in the winemaking field. Most Americans assume that bigger is better, and that a 'successful' winery will have a tourism center, dining hall and huge barrel chai. But there are many definitions of success, and I think more Americans are beginning to recognize that small, family owned 'wine farm' enterprises, like their European counterparts, can be quite fascinating.

Who would you nominate as a "business in barn"?

The winery should be:

* Staffed by fewer than 6 people, including vineyard workers

* Smaller than 3,000 square feet

* Rustic in appearance

* American

* Fairly successful in sales and well-regarded by consumers

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

That immediately brought to mind Wood Mill Winery (new-ish local operation in Central North Carolia) that's doing quite well and as far as i know operating out of just one converted building.

Operational area is within your bounds but I don't know about staffing--the only member of their personnel I had any contact with was the vintner.

It has been approximately 8 to 10 years since I was there, but I was surprised to find that to be the case for Coturri in Sonoma. That along with their biodynamic methods may at least partially explain their inconsistencies. At their best, their zins are possibly the best I've ever had. Unfortunately, they are not always at their best.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz